"what is a diablo sandwich?"

I popped my copy of “Smokey and the Bandit” in the VCR last night (yeah, yeah… I know.)

Buford T. Justice stops off at a greasy spoon and says, “Give me a diablo sandwich, a Dr. Pepper, make it fast, I’m in a goddamn hurry!”

My question is, what exactly IS a diablo sandwich? The movie takes place in the southern US, so I wonder if it’s a regional thing. I have never seen diablo meat at the deli… and I’ve never seen it on a menu. I believe diablo is spanish for devil, but I’ve never heard of a devil sandwich either.

Thanks for your help. I’m east bound and down. :smiley:
Max

Searching google.com turns up lots and lots and lots of possibilities. Best guess, given the locale and type of restaurant: BBQ. Hot BBQ.

:slight_smile:

Focaccia bread
Pesto
Lettuce
Tomato
Several slices of Satan

Hey, that’s how I’d make it!

:smiley: :smiley:

Token reference whenever food is mentioned in thread:

“Mmmmmmmm…Diablo sandwich…”

It’s when you get stuck between Baal and his duplicate in the Worldstone Chamber during the final battle of Diablo II: Lord of Destruction. :smiley:

I’ve heard of two kinds of diablo sandwiches:

• A Greek sandwich made up of chopped pork and onions (I think this was the original), and

• Any sandwich topped with hot salsa (I think this was probably inspired by Smokey and the Bandit rather than vice versa).
    Cheers,

This just in: There was a thread on misc.transport.trucking about this a few years ago, and someone had a diablo sandwich in Macon that was made of fried eggs and red hots:

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&safe=off&th=9346fd3bc8d746e2&rnum=3

That sounds more like Smokey and the Bandit fare to me than either of my other suggestions.
Cheers,

Yeah, yeah…I know! My ass!:mad:
Don’t you ever, ever, insult yo daddy like that again!:stuck_out_tongue:

That movie was, what 99% of movies today are not: PURE FUN TO WATCH!!!

Anyway, I always thought a diablo sandwhich was liverwurst, onions, and salsa.

Washed down with a can of Cooers beer?:smiley:

Sigh!:rolleyes:

That should be Coors. But I don’t drink that moldy, bootlegged stuff!:stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks for the link, Tom. Fried eggs and redhots could be the answer. But it definitely appears to have other variations as well. I ran the google search suggested by KneadToKnow, and after weeding through links to a band called “Diablo Sandwich” and all of the SATB movie quotes, there appears to be something called a Chicken Diablo Sandwich.

It seems to be spicy food on a bun. But what exactly was on the sandwich that Buford T. Justice ordered and ate seems to still be a mystery.

Oh, and PK… I’d never slam SATB. One of my favorite, mindless movies!

Max

It looks like a sloppy joe, possibly made with a spicy BBQ sauce instead of the tomato based sauce in an original “joe”. In Florida I have has similar sandwiches but with different names everywhere I go. I found a recipe for it on foodtv.com, but it has taco seasoning, corn, tomatoes lettuce and sour cream, I tired it, it wasn’t bad, but it did not look anything like the one Sheriff Justice eats in the movie.

Spicy Zombie meat on a bun.

It looks like a pulled pork barbecue sandwich. Since it’s called “diablo”, I assume it’s made with a rather spicy barbecue sauce. Seems like something you’d find at a truck stop greasy spoon like the one in the movie.

There are other recipes that use the term Diablo. It means spicy hot, often via cayenne pepper. Examples:

Mussels al Diablo

Shrimp Diablo

Here’s a bunch of recipes that call for Diablo sauce.

I remember the episode this Two Fat Ladies recipe appeared in, and these shrimp were part of a spicy meal that had a “Diablo” theme.

These Devils On Horseback were from the same episode.

You’re thinking of the Broodwich - forged in darkness from wheat harvested in Hell’s half-acre, baked by Beelzebub, cheese from the rancid teat of a fanged cow, mayonnaise from the dark eggs of evil chickens, forced into sauce by the hands of a one-eyed madman, layered with 666 meats from an animal which has maggots for blood.

Also, mustard. Dijon mustard.

I love a good DLT–Diablo, Lettuce and tomato, particularly when the Prime Evil is nice and lean… and the tomatoes, they’re so perky. I love them!

Maybe a Diablo Sandwich is like a Devil’s Threesome. Which would really change the impact of that line.

Moved from General Questions to Cafe Society.

samclem, moderator

What are these? Sundried tomatoes?

Satan and two cheerleaders.