vmf-214

Does any one know where I can find an overhead or the layout to the vmf-214 black sheep squadron airfield? I have searched every place I can think of and this is a last resort! any help will be usefull.

thanks ahead of time…

VMF-214 is based at MCAS Miramar. You can probably get an overhead photo of the base by contacting the public affairs office. You can also search on NAS Miramar. There might be photos of it before it went to the Marines.

Are you looking for the now or the WWII base?

If you’re looking for the WWII base, you might be able to contact the authorities on Vella la Vella or the Solomon Islands. An easier way might be to contact VMF-214’s PAO at Miramar to see if they have any quadron history photos that show the WWII base.

You can usually find overhead views of current US (and other) military installations on MapQuest - the little tab that gives you a photo view instead of a map usually has good enough resolution to identify aircraft on the ground. All you need is a street address, which you can usually find on the base’s website (public affairs offices usually list their mailing address). Granted, it’s always the same photo (they really don’t update very often), but I was able to check out the flightline at Edwards AFB with enough resolution to identify F-15’s on the ground. I also found the Boneyard at Davis-Monthan AFB and clicked around it for a while.

As for 214’s base during WWII, you might do well to contact the PUA at Miramar, as Johnny LA suggests. Start here: http://www.miramar.usmc.mil/

I am doing a 1:48 scale diarama of the wwII base…and I need the runway layout and all the good stuff! thanks for all the help!

Eep - by “PUA”, I mean, of course, “PAO” as in “Public Affairs Office”…

Not sure what the hell PUA stands for…

the_duke_69 check your e-mail.
I sent you a picture that might help with the info you are looking for.
Peace
LIONsob

the picture is very helpful thank you…I am going to the public affiars affice and filling out all the form to see if I can get a copy of the bllue prints or some form of plans used.