The Breeders song "Cannonball"

I’ve recently read that this deceptively light-hearted song is actually about the Marquis de Sade. Deal, apparently, is taunting deSade and men like him when she says things like “I’ll be your whatever- you-want.” I went back and listened to the song and I’ve no idea what they’re talking about. The again, she’s famous for her double entendres (blowjob song “Doe”) so who knows.

Help me and a friend solve this all-consuming mysery…

um, that should be all-consuming MYSTERY…

…but it is my(i)sery being ignorant…

I thought I read an interview years back with Deal explaining the de Sade connection. What was striking about the interview was that her sister, also in the band, was learning of song’s meaning for the first time during the interview.

I associate that song, and the whole album, with the PC game DOOM. I had just got both the album and the game at the same time, and played the hell out of both of 'em. Just thought I’d share that.

I don’t iknow if it is about the Marquis de Sade, but read the lyrics at this site:

http://www.getlyrics.com/lyrics.php?Letter=B&Artist=Breeders&Album=Miscellaneous&Song=Cannonball

Maybe . …or Maybe not . . .

XicanoreX

From an interview at tweak.com:

(By the way, Adam, questions about music & the arts go in the Cafe Society forum- this thread will likely be moved there presently…)

Cheers!

Revtim– I make pretty much the same association. Funny, that. (Though Lou Reed’s Blue Mask was my Doom CD of choice, Breeders came in close second.)

Since this is about a song, I’ll move this thread to Cafe Society.

Kelley Deal barely seems to be in the band. I watched the Breeders performing recently on Craig Kilborn’s show, and about halfway into the song, I realized that she had not done a goddamn thing with the guitar slung around her neck. So I watched her for the rest of the performance and, as far as I could tell, she didn’t do anything beyond some scant backup vocals.

I saw the band play again on another show, and this time I actually saw her PLAY – like, oh, three notes?

Consider ignorance fought [just a smidge] today.

I SWEAR that I thought the line “I’ll be the bong in your reggae song” was “I’ll be the bong in your square, gay song”. Not that it makes any sense, but that’s what my ears heard.

Carry on…

I always thought it was “the bump” in your reggae song…, but anyway.

[hijack]The Pixies were better.[/hijack]

Yeah, but that’s getting into impossibly high standards atmosphere. The Pixies as a whole was greater than the sum of its parts, though both Frank Black and Kelley Deal did some perfectly swell things afterwards.

You’re right, the Pixies were one hell of a band. But the Breeders were something, too.

I have similar associations with the original Castle Wolfenstein and Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Heart’s Club Band.

“Were” a good band? They just got back together–after 9 years-- and released “TitleTK”. It’s no Last Splash or Pod, but it’s pretty decent.

Thanks to all for their help on this. It seems to me that the de Sade lines are pretty incidental–“libertine”; “I know you’re a real kookoo”, etc. Otherwise, that song is about absolutely nothing. Pure stream-of-consciousness like alot of Deal’s songs. I mean, what the hell does a cannonball have to do with de Sade?

Kelley Deal just learned to play the guitar. That’s why the above poster had the correct impression that she sucks. I’ve heard she’s very good at knitting, though…