Monday’s Top 6@6 Week #17: Your Blue Öyster Cult Faves & Blondie Results From Week 16

Another Monday, Another Closed Poll. Thanks to all the Dopers who responded. Last Week’s Blondie Votes Tally: 17 Voters x 6 Tracks = 102 Selections. On to business:

1st: Honorable Mentions, Notes & Asides[ul][li]The Monday Time Slot: Seems to be going well, I kinda like it. Especially cuz I never go near a computer on the weekends.[]Mr. Blue Sky, Futile Gesture, hawthorne & pldennison: Newcomers to the 6 @ 6.[]elfkin477: Whose Bush Request & **Dragon Phoenix **: Whose Kate Bush request will be respectively honored @ the close of the B’s. (See Issue #7 below for a tentative schedule)Mr. Blue Sky: Whose E-Bow question yielded a lot more answers (over 60) than I thought were out there[/ul][/li]
2nd: Venus Fly Trap
More “high search count” words secretly e-mailed to me by another anonymous moderator who’s privy to classified message board information: boobs, hooters, jugs, knockers, mammo’s, melons, rack, ta-ta’s, tits. [sub]Warning: Do Not highlight this cheap, tawdry search gimmick used by the pay sites[/sub]

3rd: Increase the Hit Count
The Voters, Past & Present List – Designed for those who do vanity searches:
[ul][li]Voting In 10 Polls: astorian.[/li]
[li]Voting In 7 Polls: dead0man.[/li]
[li]Voting In 6 Polls: grendel72 & WSLer.[/li]
[li]Voting In 5 Polls: chief.[/li]
[li]Voting In 4 Polls: 5 time champ, Hugh Jass, Labdad, Mudshark, RealityChuck & tourbot (well actually 3 1/6 polls for tour). [/li]
[li]Voting In 3 Polls: Dragon Phoenix, elfkin477, Fish42, galt (2X Posthumously), gex gex, K364, Minor Irritant, Narrad, scout1222 & Skijumper [/li]
[li]Voting In 2 Polls: Dryga_Yes, epeepunk, essvee, Fenris, gonzoron, Interrobang!?, John Carter of Mars, jolemale, Leifsmama, Living Dead Girl, Manduck, pepperlandgirl, plnnr, thermalribbon,Wartime Consigliori.[/li]
[li]Voting In 1 Poll: 5-HT, Airbeck, andrew Dupont, andros, arachnidlove, ArchiveGuy, auntie em, bibliophile, bouv, bristlesage, bugg, cainxinth, capybara, Chastain86, Cherry_Blossom_, ChristmasEve, Chrome Spot, da_pope, dinahmoe, easy e, Futile Gesture, gallows fodder, hajario, Happy Lendervedder, hardygrrl, hawthorne, hazel-rah, HenrySpencer, HoldenCaulfield, horhay_achoa, Jeremy’s Evil Twin, Jonathan Chance, Kyomara, lawoot, Leechbabe, Leechboy, LindyHopper, Lockz, LunaSea, matt_mcl, minty green, Mr. Blue Sky, Mr. Green Fool, MsWhatsit, panamajack, pldennison, Reeder, saoirse, Sigmundex, stankow, Supernate, tavalla, ThePyroWeasel, Treviathan, Ukulele Ike, vinryk, waterj2, widdershins & -zorch.[/ul][/li]
4th: Past polls and Results:
The ever-growing scrap-heap of past band polls: § Blondie§ Blink 182§ Black Sabbath§ Black Crowes§ Bjork§ B-52’s§ Chuck Berry§ Beastie Boys§ Jeff Beck§ The Band§ Beach Boys§ Beatles§ Animals§ Tori Amos§ Allman Brothers§ AC/DC& Aerosmith polls.

5th: Week 15 Results:
Here are your Blondie Selections:

 1ST PLACE 
Call Me ¤ Hanging On The Telephone: Tied With 14 Votes

 2ND PLACE 
Heart Of Glass: With 11 Votes

 3RD PLACE 
One Way or Another ¤ Rapture: Tied With 9 Votes

 4TH PLACE 
Atomic (1 Specifed the Diddy Remix): With 6 Votes

 5TH PLACE 
Dreaming ¤ Maria ¤ Rip Her To Shreds ¤ The Tide Is High: Tied With 5 Votes

 6TH PLACE 
(I’m Always Touched By Your) Presence, Dear ¤ Fade Away and Radiate ¤ Union City Blue: Tied With 2 Votes

 RUNNERS UP 
**11:59 ¤ Contact in Red Square ¤ Denis ¤ Die Young Stay Pretty ¤ Fan Mail ¤ Forgive & Forget ¤ In The Flesh ¤ No Exit ¤ Nothing Is Real But The Girl ¤ Screaming Skin ¤ Sunday Girl ¤ The Hardest Part ¤ Youth Nabbed As Sniper **: With 1 Vote Each…If you see some tracks here you didn’t pick and can’t remember, your homework assignment this week is to give some of those selections another listen to.

7th: Disclaimers & Tentative Schedule
If there are no requests, Week 18 will feature: David Bowie, followed by: James Brown (Week 19), Jackson Browne (Week 20), Bush (Week 21), Kate Bush (Week 22) & The Byrds (Week 23). This is a democracy, so once again; if you feel I’ve passed alphabetically passed over a band say so. If I don’t hear to the contrary, we’ll be passing by bands like: The Blues Brothers (Too small a discography?), Blues Traveler (Would there be many selections other than tracks from Four?), Blur (Never made it big in the States, are there enough Dopers from the other side of the pond to warrant a poll?), Bon Jovi (Is there a pomp-rock following on the boards?), Boston (Aren’t they perceived as having a flash in the pan status?), The Breeders (I’d probably be the only voter), Brinsley Schwartz (What ever happened to the whole pub-rock genre?), Buffalo Springfield (Haven’t most people forgotten about these CA folk-rock pioneers?) Jimmy Buffet (Are there any parrot-heads on the board?), Butthole Surfers and The Buzzcocks (Like the Breeders, would either band garner any votes other than mine?). And that’s just to name a few.

8th: Week #17’s Poll
Without further ado, another NY band, the 13th of the “B”’s, **Blue Öyster Cult **
{Please feel free to include Buck Dharma solo tracks if you so wish}:
Here are my 6 Blue Öyster Cult picks:

1. Cities On Flame With Rock-n-Roll
  2. The Revenge Of Vera Gemini
  3. Godzilla
  4. Death Valley Nights
  5. Deadline
  6. Vengeance (The Pact)
    For me, that was as difficult (if not harder) than picking 6 Black Sabbath tracks
    Thanking you all in advance. Have a great week.

Ummmmm, here’s a vote for Bon Jovi. They’ve been around foralmost 20 years and are way beyond the hair band stuff. Plus, I’m a straight guy and I think Jon is hot

And I’s also like to put in a vote for Boston. I don;t see how they can be called “flash in the pan.” They sold a gazillion copies of their first album, and almost as many as their second.

The fact that it took around 4 years between album releases was due more to Tom Scholz’s perfectionism, more then anything else.

However if it comes down to it, I would rather have Bon Jovi, then Boston.

Now as for Blue Oyster Cult:

6.Vengance ( The Pact)
5.The Revenge of Vera Gemini
4. Godzilla
3. Death Valley Nights
2. (Don’t Fear) The Reaper

1. Burnin’ For You

Godzilla Oh no, there goes tokyo…

[sub]That’s the only song of theirs I like…[/sub]

Though I liked BOC for years, most of my favorite BOC songs were on their first album, IMHO. So…

1. Veteran of Psychic Wars
  2. Dominance and Submission
  3. Before the Kiss, a Redcap
  4. Then Came the Last Days of May
  5. I’m on the Lamb, But I Ain’t No Sheep
  6. Stairway to the Stars

i’d vote in a blur poll. i’ve already got my six worked out. well, i’m having some trouble limiting it to six.

and i’m a bit disappointed to see us skipping over indie brits belle and sebastian - i know we’ve had reasonably well patroned threads on the band on this board (and we even have a poster named after one of their songs). any possibly of backing up a bit, y’know, if you’re feeling sinister?

1. "(Don’t Fear) The Reaper
  2. “Cities on Flame with Rock and Roll”
  3. “Dominance and Submission”
  4. “Burnin’ for You”
  5. “The Revenge of Vera Gemini”
  6. “This Ain’t the Summer of Love”

I only know three and like them all:

(1) Godzilla
(2) (don’t Fear) the Reaper
(3) Burnin’ for You

I’d also vote in a Blur poll, and quite possibly a Bon Jovi one as well. And didn’t Blur hit it big once or twice in North America? I know Song 2 was all over Canadian TV, in the guise of a Labatt’s ad…

1. Veteran of Psychic Wars
  2. Dominance and Submission
  3. Then Came the Last Days of May
  4. Mistress Of The Salmon Salt (Quicklime Girl)
  5. The Revenge of Vera Gemini
  6. (Don’t Fear) The Reaper

Looks like the hamster ate my post. Let’s try again:

1. Then Came the Last Days of May
  2. Before the Kiss, a Redcap
  3. (Don’t Fear) The Reaper
  4. The Red and the Black
  5. 7 Screamning Diz-Busters
  6. I’m on the Lamb But I Ain’t No Sheep

A Long Island band! Yay!

6.Cities On Flame With Rock 'n Roll
5. Veteran Of The Psychic Wars
4. Godzilla
3. (Don’t Fear) The Reaper
2. E.T.I. (Extra Terrestrial Intelligence)

1. Hot Rails to Hell

(‘Hot Rails to Hell’ is on Extraterrestrial Live, and was recorded at my first rock concert - Nassau Coliseum, October 1980. Oddly- as the Coliseum is not reknown for sonic excellence - Black Sabbath also played that night and released a ‘B’ side of their performance of ‘Die Young’ - I believe it was.)

I’d vote for Blur too, since I’m much more familiar with their work than Blue Oyster Cult’s…

That being said:

1. Don’t fear the Reaper (the only song I’ve ever heard by them)
  1. Burnin’ for You
  2. Goin’ Through the Motions
  3. In Thee
  4. Flaming Telepaths
  5. Astronomy
  6. Joan Crawford

**A K A: The BUSINESS UNANSWERED & MENTIONED PREVIOUSLY Post

Some Weekly Six @ Six issues that need to be answered:

One Bon Jovi with a side of Boston coming right up. (See the reworked {and still preliminary} schedule below).

You got it, Blur and B&S, the latter I’ll post & tabulate as a supplemental poll but will be unqualified to vote in. (See the reworked {and still preliminary} schedule below).

Not to mention the trailer theme music for Starship Troopers. OK, that’s 2 votes for Bon Jovi and 2 for Blur. (See the reworked {and still preliminary} schedule below).

**Revised 6 @ 6 Schedule: **As quoted above, there have been some more requests, so in similar fashion to WSLer’s AC/DC supplemental poll from week 14 here goes…[list][li]Week 18 will feature: Blur with a Belle and Sebastian supplemental poll.[]Week 19 will feature: Bon Jovi with a Boston supplemental poll. []Week 20 will feature: David Bowie. []Week 21 will feature: James Brown with a Jackson Browne supplemental poll. []Week 22 will feature: Bush with a Kate Bush supplemental poll. Followed by[][]Week 23 featuring: The Byrds with a Buffalo Springfield supplemental poll if someone requests them.[/li]
On to some LI nostalgia

Let’s see, if my pot-hazed Junior High School memories are correct, that was the Black & Blue concert. From what I can remember, at least 20 fights on the floor prior to showtime (most while Fluff was playing in the background), a big robotic Godzilla on the right side of the stage, Bloom riding on a Harley during BÖC’s cover version of Born to Be Wild and a ringing in my ears that lasted at least into Thanksgiving. My timing may be slightly off, but earlier that year (June?) Ozzy came to NYC and played the Palladium. I think it was before Jet released Blizzard of Oz in the states. What a concert, kinda like a rock show at a bonfire…the audience burned everything that wasn’t flammable.