Can't Find The Character Map

W98 SE, 288 RAM, P2 CIII, using IE6 as my browser. Any ideas where it went? It’s not under accessories.

Thanks

Quas’

Did you try searching for charmap.exe?

Quick way: Click on “Start” “Run” and type in “charmap” and click on Enter.

If this doesn’t work, it may not be installed. Click on “Start” “Settings” “Control Panel.” Click on “Add/Remove Programs.” Now click on “Windows Setup.” Click on “System Tools” and make sure Character Map is checked.

RC: I did your last option, but it’s asking me to insert W98 SE disc. I’m not very computer literate, but I was always under the impression that when you are prompted to insert the disc, you are getting into some heavy stuff, and I don’t wanna mess anything up or have to do a lot of rebuilding. What do you advise? Over…

:smiley:
Q

Nah, nothing to be worried about in this case. All that’s happening is that Windows goes “Ok, you want to add charmap.exe to your system. Well, let me look in your c:\windows folder…nope charmap.exe ain’t there. Let’s try c:\windows\options\cabs…nope, no directory named cabs…dagnabbit!. No Problemo! It’s definitely on the Windows 98SE CD, and I even know the exact location! Waitaminnit, the CD ain’t in the system…grrr! Hey! You there! Yeah, I’m talking to you! How the hell can I install this file unless ya put the CD in? :wally geez…Ok, you’ve finally put the CD in…I’ve found the file and I’ve copied over to your hard drive…there, happy now?”

(I have the opinion that computers hate our guts, and this is what they’re REALLY thinking :slight_smile: )

critter42

You say it isn’t in accessories. Does that mean you have also checked accessories/system tools? That’s where it is on my Win98 system.

Rowrrbazzle: Yup, I checked it and it ain’t there neither.

Okay, I’m about to slip this thing in! Y’all hang on!

:smiley:

Quasi

Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs > Add/Remove Windows Components > Accessories and Utilities > Accessories > Character Map

…not sure if it’s exactly the same in Win 98, but it should be similar enough for you to figure out.

Win98- in the ctl panel, open add/remove programs.
Windows setup tab
highlight system tools and hit details
checkmark char map
OK a couple of times with that CD in the drive
reboot
viola!

Character Map is not automatically selected when you install Windows. Unless you install it, it won’t be on your computer.