Oy, Jackie Mason is giving me such tsuris!

Yesterday’s New York Times reported that Jackie Mason requested that his opening act at a Chicago comedy club, a comic named Ray Hanania, be dumped from the bill because he was "inexperienced,"not because he was Palestinian.

Today he blamed it on the comedy club:

But the comedy club manager and Mason’s wife contradicted Mason’s story, saying it was because of Hanania’s Palestinian ancestry. On the Today Show, Mason said he dumped Hanania because of anti-Semitic writings on Hanania’s Web site.

Mr. Mason, you’re a bigot and a liar. The sad thing is that you squandered an opportunity to show that the hatred and bigotry that has poisoned both sides in this conflict can be overcome. Instead, you only showed how hatred has spread to America and your own heart.

You should be ashamed.

Yeah I caught that yesterday, it really pissed me off.

Jackie Mason makes me physically ill.

Was he ever funny?

So he’s unfunny and a bigot.

WHY does this man have a career?

I was wondering why he was on Today this morning. I was just looking for the weather and happened upon him but I didn’t have time to see what was going on.

I once found him to be very funny, then he did Caddyshack II.

I saw him on British TV a couple of months ago, and was seriously unimpressed. His views on the situation in Israel make december look like Ghandi.

I’ve caught Ray Hanania’s act, and he’s a snide, preachy bore. I’ve also seen Jackie Mason’s act, and he’s an obnoxious putz.

Frankly, they don’t have a drop of talent between them. I feel sorry for anyone who pays good money to be harangued by either of them. I’d feel even SORRIER for anyone who had to see both of them on the same bill.

Why does Tom Arnold?

Because there are Idiots that pay money to go see this crap, believe it or not.

While I wish he wouldn’t change his story, Mason has the right to have anybody open for him he wants, and if a potential opening act makes him uncomfortable or he feels it would make his audience uncomfortable or non-receptive, it’s his business.

Nonsense, that’s just cuddling up to bigotry. If we had let the " this makes me uncomfortable" excuse stand, we’d still have segregation and legal discrimination against women in the workplace. IMO, JAckie Mason canning the guy because he’s a Palestinian stinks. Now if he had fired the Palestinian because he’s a conceited, self-absorbed twerp (as Hanania came across on Today), that would be different. But discriminating solely on his ancestry is just plain wrong.

I remember (late '80s, I think) when Jackie Mason was starring in “Chicken Soup,” which was supposed to be ABC’s smash comedy hit of the TV season. And it SANK like a fucking STONE.

Snoo<however many Os belong here>py, thank you. I was wondering why I thought of chicken soup each time I heard Mason’s name!

I heard Hanania on radio tghis morning. I found him moderately funny and pleasant to listen to. He’s no Jackie Mason, but who is?

One interviewer pointed out that this fuss will do more for Hanania’s carer than appearing at the comedy club would have.

BTW he will be appearing at that club next week.

Does Hanania really tell thigh-slappers about hostage-taking? Man, show me where to buy those tickets.

“He’s no Jackie Mason, but who is?” Hopefully, nobody.
The two of them on stage simultaneously might have been an entertaining freak show, though.

He told jokes that contrasted his Palestinian background with his wife’s Jewish background.

I saw Mason say that it was the club owner who canned the opening act. He also said he was thinking of suing the comedian for defamation.

Didn’t see the part where Mason changed his story. I kinda agree with the Cap’n there. Only I think that if you are going to be a bigot, at least be an upfront one and not a sneaky, pass-the-buck one.

At least our pal december has the courage of his convictions. It seems that Jackie knew it was a nasty, bigoted thing to do, did it any way and now is trying to weasel out of any repercussions.

I thought Jackie had died a Long Time Ago. He certainly looked ill on TV. Did you see his puffy white-as-a-sheet face with little triangular eyes?

The worst plastic surgery job since Jocko. Really gruesome.

(On the plus side, we can now say he really does talk like that all the time.)

Oh, the irony. You gotta love it.

Here’s another slant on what happened. This columnist says that Hanania’s comedy is offensive and he was dropped from the program due to objections by many Chicago Jews.

He gives these examples from Hanania’s political writing (NOT from his comedy performance.)

I never could “get” Seinfeld, which probably explains why I don’t get this:

Sounds like this guy’s been spending too much time at the hookah.

I’m not sure what “Tsuris” means, but if it’s Yiddish for “overwhelming urge to change the TV channel when he appears” I’m with ya.