Is it normal for my dog to eat grubs?

I’ve never seen her do this before but today I found her digging in the yard and pick something up in her mouth and start eating. I called her over and pulled a half eaten grub out of her mouth, ick.
Is she trying to tell me she’s lacking something in her normal diet?
She’s a few pounds overweight so she gets plenty to eat at home, typically purina little bites light but this past week I’ve been giving her the regular little bites because the store didn’t have the light brand. I’m still giving her the same amount of food volume wise though.
I’ve seen her eat worse but still, yuck. This is high on my yuckometer.

Absolutely normal. Dogs are carnivores, grubs are meat. Just because some humans think it’s icky (and not all do), it’s still perfectly good protein.

Used to have a dog that ate mature grubs, a/k/a Junebugs. Lots of 'em. Judging from her scat, her colon was scrubbed clean as a new penny.

Every dog I’ve ever owned would eat almost everything/anything, regardless of breed or bloodline. Grubs, for some reason, seems to be a dogs favorite second only to his own poop!:rolleyes:

I’ve owned purebred dobermans, bull dogs, retreivers, and now a pug, and every one of them loved/loves to dig up grubs. We have no grubs on my property, but my mother has some on her land. My current dog, a pug named Otto, recently found some there and thought he found the doggy version of Sizzler.

One of my favorite dogs I ever had, Bigot, (a bull dog who hated everyone but me) also loved to romp on my ma’s land to dig for grubs. He also was fond of potato bugs. Who was I to argue with a dog that bit the foot off an intruder once. (no joke:eek: )

Thanks guys. All I know is, I wasn’t letting her lick my face after seeing that. I just never saw her digging for 'em before and hoped she wasn’t telling me her kibble wasn’t all the commercials made it out to be. :slight_smile:
I plan to go back to her old food once I have time to get to petsmart where I know they have it in stock.
Mods can close this thread.

As gross as dogs eating their on poo seems to us to be my vet explained the behavior to me as follows:

Basically, most pet foods on the market today are loaded with nutrition for your pet. The first pass of the food through the animal’s digestive system isn’t able to extract all the available nutrition from the food so what is excreted still has a fairly high nutritional content. Animals are able to sense (I guess) that what they are sniffing has food value so they may snarf their own crap.

Some animals, such as rabbits, actually need to eat their own poo as the normal course for a healthy diet.

My Dog eats Grubs and Spiders but thankfuly leaves the poo out out it!

Many Dogs will eat Feline Faeces as cats excrete high levels of protein in their feaces.

Rabbits are horrible and do double digest their food - the lighter blobs are the first pass and have a courser texture - the darker ones with the smoother finish and the glossy overlay are the finished item… and don’t ask how I know this!