"I'm crying because I'm happy" scenes in movies

I was trying to come up with candidates for the “saddest movie scene ever” thread, and realized that more often than not if a movie makes me cry it’s at the really happy moments. I’m a huge sucker for those types of scenes (as is evidenced by the fact that most of my examples are from Disney movies), and a director doesn’t have to do much of anything to get me to start crying.

My worst offenders (each one of these gets me every time I see it):

Mulan, when her father tosses the medal and sword away and says “The greatest honor of all is having your for a daughter.”

Fantasia 2000, in the “Rhapsody in Blue” segment, when the henpecked husband starts dancing with the organ grinder’s monkey.

Lilo & Stitch, when Stitch delivers his, “This is my family. It’s small, and broken, but still good” line.

Amelie, when she guides the blind man down the street, describing everything she sees.

Man, that’s embarrassing.

The Marseillaise scene in Casablanca. Never fails to bring a tear or two to my eyes.

I usually cry only when movies make me sad. The one exception to this is Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone, of all things.

Silly, I know, but every time I get to the very end of the book or movie, to Dumbdore speech praising Neville’s special bravery,“It takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to your enemies but a great deal more to stand up to your friends” I tear up.

I thought you meant scenes in movies that contained people crying because they’re happy, and instantly thought of Mia Farrow in The Great Gatsby (voice all a-quiver): “I’m crying because they’re such beautiful shirts!”

I’m with SolGrundy… sad movies can make me cry, but happy movies (or sad movies with happy endings) are far more likely to do so.

I tear up every time I see Hobbiton in the opening scenes of Fellowship of the Ring, and also when Bilbo and Frodo are reunited in Rivendell. Tears of joy, I’m telling you… I have to explain it to my daughters every time. laugh

Despite having seen it at least a dozen times now, I still get misty at the very end of Monsters Inc. Sully’s big grin at Boo’s tiny-voiced “Kitty!” does it every time.

Mulan gets me too, but for me it’s the scene when everyone at the palace bows to her, after the Emperor says that she has saved them all. Damn. Good scene.

The last scene in the last episode of “Star Trek: The Next Generation” gets me, as Jean-Luc deals the cards to his friends and shipmates… “Nothing wild… and the sky’s the limit.”

The scene near the end of Unbreakable where David Dunn shows his son the newspaper article about his first act. The upspoken communication and understanding they share, just in their expressions, is a thing of beauty. Probably Bruce Willis’ finest moment on screen so far.

At the end of The Sixth Sense when Cole tells his mother about her mother. “She says the answer is… ‘Every day.’” Yeah, and I lose it every time I hear that.

I guess M. Night does some great emotional moments like this, because here’s another. In Signs, when Mel Gibson loses control and yells at the dinner table, and his children start crying. Then he hugs them both and drags Joaquin Phoenix into the group hug too. I was laughing with tears rolling down my cheeks at the same time.

A big one for me is the end of Fearless, pretty much the last 10 minutes or so, as Max finally accepts what has happened and it all comes crashing down on him… and then is saved. One of the most wrenching, emotional sequences ever committed to film.

Funny thing, this just happened to me again tonight, as I watch a “Star Trek: Deep Space Nine” rerun, one I had never seen before. Odo tries to nurse an ill changeling back to health, and teach it how to shapeshift. Just as he is making progress and connecting with the changeling, it has a setback and is about to die. But instead, as Odo is holding it, it bonds with him and restores his own changeling abilities. The first thing Odo does is change himself into a hawk and flies through the station, something he had promised the other changeling he would teach it to do. A surprisingly touching episode.

A sad movie (a well-made sad movie) will often disturb me or put me into a funk. I’m a sucker for happy endings, though, and they’ll always make me a little weepy. Happy movies will make me cry more easily than sad ones do. The examples above are just a few of the better ones.

Ditto Sixth Sense just at that exact point.

Also I felt very choked up the first time I saw Galaxy Quest over certain bits. Not the second time though.

Me too. One of my favourite parts of the movie (Ok the initiail scenes with Sauron are pretty good as well :))I get taunted for it by my niece in law.

Shine is the only movie to ever make me cry - the ending. It’s not a sad ending, but I got all teary in the theatre.

I, too, tear up at the Mulan scene mentioned in the OP. I tear up at the Sixth Sense scene mentioned earlier, too.

Once (it must’ve been a particularly hormonal day), I welled up at Babe when the farmer said, “That’ll do, pig. That’ll do.” at the end of the sheep herding competition.

[nitpick, because it’s my favorite line]
“The greatest gift and honor is having you as a daughter.”
[/nitpick]

Empire of the Sun

When Jim is finally reunited with his parents and he closes his eyes I bawl like a baby.
As far as a person in the film doing it I thought of Emma T. in Sense and Sensibility near the end.

Pleasantville

When the rest of the town turns colour, I cried.

That does it to me too. It’s not the really sad scenes, but the really happy scenes that make me emotional. sigh

For example, Moulin Rouge. I don’t think I need a spoiler since the ending is revealed in the very beginning, anyway. At any rate, the “show must go on” scene and some of the happy scenes between Christian and Satine make me sad because I know what’s going to happen at the end.

Likewise for Disney movies, at least when I was younger; I never watch them anymore. And in sappy movies that I shouldn’t be crying at but can’t help.

As a boy I used to cry when watching lassie. I think it’s the music that did it. deeply embarrasing it was. I would try to hide my tears if anyone came in or was watching it with me

When Dubey shows up with the marigold heart in Monsoon Wedding.

When Sam catches up to Frodo at the end of Fellowship of the Ring

In Schindler’s List – when the real life survivors and descendents of surviovrs top the hill. I’ve known nothing to compare with the feeling it gave me.

Home Alone at the end where the old man re-unites with his daughter
…thats it, i swear.

…ok Home Alone 2 does it to me aswell when Kevin’s mother finds him in the park. The tears come on when she is talking to the cop about why she is looking for him etc and how he doesnt deserve this to happen again. When she finally sees him in the park and goes over to him i usually leave the room.

I’m disappointed to say that I cry pretty much at the drop of a hat when it comes to movies.

A few examples:
“Say Anything,” when Diane shows up at the gym and she and Lloyd get back together it kills me. I tear up too when Lloyd takes the letter to her dad in prision.

“Safe Passage” is another good one. Sam Shepard and Susan Saradon have seven sons, one of whom is in the military and missing following an explosion. Two hours, six sons and several flashbacks and monologues later, all is well, and I’m a blubbering idiot on the sofa.

I also teared up during “Great Expectations”, “My Best Friend’s Wedding” and “Bridget Jones’ Diary.”