Ask the chick from/living in Missouri!

Hey, I’ve never done an “Ask Me” post. Just saw Minnesota, and thought I’d give it a try.

Like most of the threads I start, I’ll probably get 2 replies, BUT HEY! How’s anyone ever going to get to know me if I don’t try from time to time!!!

:slight_smile:

Ask away!

Wow, aparently Missouri is just as boring as I thought. haha

wait… you mean you guys actually have the internet out there???

sorry had to…

I don’t know… what the hell goes on in Missouri?
what is a normal night out in Missouri like?

haha I have the internet at WORK in Missouri. haha Still don’t have a PC at home, but I want one!

My typical nights aren’t that exciting anymore, but I can tell you some of the goofy stuff we’ve done before! (When we were young and stupid!)

My girlfriends and I used to cruise around to the littler towns around us to hunt for new guys. haha (After growing up with the same guys in school all your life, new guys is a fun prospect). We used to get a couple bottles of Boone’s and drive around all the back-roads drinking and having a good time. Since we all lived in the country around our town, we could get home using only back roads. As stupid as it seems now we were WAY more concerned with getting caught than we were about driving while intoxicated…

One of my guy friends once broke into my house at 4am to take me turkey hunting. He knew I wouldnt get up, as we’d been to the bar until 2am the night before. Boy, that was a treat. For those of you who aren’t familiar with turkey hunting, it is NOT FUN! haha You have to sit REALLY still and be REALLY quiet for a REALLY long time!!! I guess the experience was fun though. We went out for breakfast after the hunting wearing all our camo stuff. haha If I remember correctly it wasn’t actually hunting season. (EEK!)

In the summers, my husband and I go out to a piece of land that his family owns. It’s very fun. There are a couple little cabins, and a big BB-Q pit. There are a few horses out there you can ride. People always bring out 4-wheelers and take them down the gravel roads! It’s a lot of fun!

Hayrides in the fall now, too! We go to the same place and have LONG hay-rides with mostly adults who like to party. haha Everybody sits on coolers instead of hay. That’s also very fun!

That’s a couple fun things to do around here that popped into my mind!! :slight_smile: Ask away, and I’ll be sure to post if I think of anything else we do for fun! haha

I used to live in Rolla and for a time in Licking, are you anywhere near them ?

I’m quite a ways North of Rolla.

Do you/did you do any of the things I mentioned in my post? I wouldn’t want to paint an unfair picture of Missouri! haha

Durn tar paper shack dwelling, bib overall wearing, non shoe wearing, chicken bone sucking, pig snoot grilling, hound dog owning, pickup driving, mullet headed, possum boiling, hayseed picking, corn bread sopping rednecks give us few civilized Missouri folk a bad image from time to time.

:slight_smile:

Have you guys discovered fire yet?

I was going to ask about the wheel, but then I remembered all the mobile homes.

(I am in Tennessee, so you KNOW I gotta be joking)

By the way, Lamberts in Sikeston, MO is the best restaurant on the face of the planet.

Well, what kind of gun (or other weapon) is required for turkey hunting? I just applied for a job in Springfield, MO, and if I get it, I want to be prepared and fit in. :slight_smile:

Do you eat okra?

Springfield? The home store of Bass Pro Shops is there, they’ll certainly have all the turkey hunting gear and info you could use. Mighty convenient place to live if you’re fond of canoeing and/or fishing. Lots of great streams in the Ozarks.

Are you going to change your location info?

Not that I remember, but we moved to Jersey when I was 10 years old.

When I was 16 we went back for a visit though. My cousin got mad at me that time for kissing Lil’ Abner. She was dating him at the time and he hadn’t kissed her yet.

So, is it pronounced Missouri or Missoura?

How do you feel about not being recognised by Grampa Simpson?

Have you ever been to Branson, and is it really like Vegas if it was run by Ned Flanders?

St Loo-wee or St Loo-wiss?

Will you take Nelly back?

What’s with Kansas City? Was it once in Kansas and then it leapt over the border and has been trying to stealthily shuffle east ever since? Why isn’t it called Missouri City?

How come you guys got to be called Missouri instead of Mississippi?

How important is Missouri to you? Would you give up country for Missouri? Love? God? What is the most important thing that you’d give up for the fair state of Missouri?

Durn City Slickers

Incidentally I have a lot of friends living in St. Louis, and could live there if I wanted to, but I’d rather be in a smaller town. It is safer to live here!! Less crime, no gangs… I also like knowing a lot of people in town.

I live in a college town, too. So it isn’t like there aren’t cultural activities to go to!

I think it is kind of a personal choice. haha Go to Bass Pro Shop, like Gary T said. They can hook you up! Incidentally, while you are there you should also go to the museum them have! It was pretty interesting, and worth the couple bucks they charge you to get in!

I guess I might as well. haha

Never had it once in my life! I think it looks kind of gross.

Missouri. (Or Misery in the FREAKING COLD WINTER!) haha

I’ve been to Branson a couple times. When I was a kid it was a really neat vacation. I went back 2 years ago, and it wasn’t as neat as I remembered. Might just be because I had to pay for it myself this time around.

There are lots of cool things to see, and a lot of good places to eat though! I don’t recomend Silver Dollar City, though. It’s kind of like a shopping mall that you have to pay to get into.

I’ve always kind of wondered that too. I know that part of Kansas City is in Kansas (Kansas City, KS). haha I really don’t know what the reasoning there is. Sorry!

St Loo-wiss.

I like Nelly!

I guess because the Missouri River runs through the middle of the state.

What a weird question. I value the people that I know a lot more than I value a state. So there’s probably not a whole lot of really important things I would “Give up for Missouri”. That doesn’t mean I’m not proud to live here, though!

So, is it pronounced Missouri or Missoura?

Depends who you ask. You say TO-MAY-TO, I say TO-MAH-TO. Always good for a never-to-be-resolved debate. My impression is that outside of Missouri, it’s almost always pronounced Missouri. Within the state, it’s a fairly even split.

What’s with Kansas City? Was it once in Kansas and then it leapt over the border and has been trying to stealthily shuffle east ever since? Why isn’t it called Missouri City?

It was originally called Kansas, usually seen as the City of Kansas (to avoid confusion with the territory/state of Kansas). Eventually that got rearranged to Kansas City. I don’t know details of the name’s origin, but presumably it had to do with its being where the Kansas (Kaw) River flowed into the Missouri River. Of course, right across the Kansas River is the state of Kansas.

My understanding is that Kansas City, Kansas came along later (copycats!).

St Loo-wee or St Loo-wiss?

St. Loo-wiss unless you need a cute rhyme, Louie.:slight_smile:

…is [Branson] really like Vegas if it was run by Ned Flanders?

Hadn’t heard that before, but it’s pretty close to the mark. Decades ago it was just a small fishing resort town, with a couple of family music shows (as in shows performed by a family). Now the entertainment has grown rampant, eclipsed the fishing, and caused major growing pains with traffic and housing. But the entertainment is generally quite good, and Branson still has a small-town wholesome feel that you don’t get in entertainment centers like Las Vegas and New York.

Gary T I’ve never heard anyone call Missouri “Missoura” and be serious.

Thanks, will I also need flannel and hipwaders, or are things running more to the fashionable side these days? How will people react to my unnaturally burgundy hair and pink Doc Martens, yet otherwise conservative fashion sense?

How’s the cuisine? Will I have to make my own organic sundried tomato-and-pesto artichoke crabcake foccacia sandwiches with aioli mustard and arugula?

How do you feel about steak and potatoes? haha

I know you were probably kidding, but I really don’t think the fashion sense is that much different in Missouri than anywhere else… Especially if you are going to be in Springfield. It’s a pretty big town compared to where I live! If you come with an open mind, I am sure you will enjoy Missouri!

I would say you’d get more funny looks walking around in hipwaders than you would with burgundy hair, and pink docs! haha