Telephone prank case (ca. 1987) -- some guy conned women into walking topless...

Preface: I am not making this up.

A current GD thread on rape and sexual consent got me thinking about something I read in Time or Newsweek around 1987.

Assuming I’m remembering the incident correctly, a man would call women up and claim that he was a doctor. (I believe these were women who had recently had mammograms or some such, so it was suspected he had access to medical records).

He would claim they had tested positive for something life-threatening (cancer?), but that they could cure it by walking topless in public.

And apparently, some actually did.

(IIRC, he spouted some medical hocus pocus about shocking the system into generating curative hormones).

Does anyone else remember this? If so, does anyone know if they ever caught the guy? TIA.

I heard about this or something similar…it was a woman calling other women and telling them about a new satellite mammogram. At a particular time of day they had to stand at a particular window in their apartment and press themselves (topless) against the glass. They would then receive a phone call with the results.
This woman would then call these women back and make sexual advances, commenting on their attributes.

Now where did I read this…?

Found it!
Totally not the same account as F. U. Shakespeare recalls, but similar…

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_617056.html