The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > General Questions

Old 01-06-2003, 05:24 PM
Charter Member

Why no pork cat food?

Cat food is available in fish, chicken, duck, lamb, venison, and beef flavors (plus probably more that I'm not aware of), but I've never seen pork-flavored cat food. How come? Is pork bad for cats? Ours will certainly beg if we have pork chops for dinner, and they got a tiny bite of bacon on Christmas day, which they devoured. (I didn't give them much because I was worried about the sodium content).

For that matter, how come no one makes mouse-flavored cat food?
Advertisements  
Old 01-06-2003, 05:35 PM

Maybe it's not kosher?
Old 01-06-2003, 05:38 PM

Re: Why no pork cat food?

Quote:
Originally posted by ENugent
how come no one makes mouse-flavored cat food?
You ever had a Jack-in-the-Box taco?
Old 01-06-2003, 05:43 PM
Charter Member

It's quite obvious that it's because cats in the wild have no hope of downing a pig, therefore catfood only comes in meat flavours that cats could catch and kill in the wild, ie chicken, fish, duck, sheep, cow, deer... or would that be moose?

And mouse is less a main course than an appitiser. It's important to avoid mixing up the courses and offending your cat.
Old 01-06-2003, 06:02 PM

I don't think I've ever seen duck-flavored cat food. And they make beef, I don't think a cat could take down a cow! To be realistic, it should be mouse, rabbit, sparrow, fish and occasionally squirrel flavored foods. Maybe cricket and June bug, too.
Old 01-06-2003, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by cazzle
It's quite obvious that it's because cats in the wild have no hope of downing a pig, therefore catfood only comes in meat flavours that cats could catch and kill in the wild, ie chicken, fish, duck, sheep, cow, deer... or would that be moose?

And mouse is less a main course than an appitiser. It's important to avoid mixing up the courses and offending your cat.
If my kitty cat is taking down sheep, cows and deer and/or moose in his spare time I'm thinkin' he can have whatever kind of cat he wants.
Old 01-06-2003, 06:12 PM

Re: Why no pork cat food?

That's a good point! Why not pork? My guess would be that it would be too expensive. We humans eat pretty much every part of the pig, so there probably isn't a ready supply of scraps, unlike with other animals that we waste significant parts of.

Quote:
For that matter, how come no one makes mouse-flavored cat food?
Because it takes a fairly skilled surgeon to skin and butcher a mouse?
Old 01-06-2003, 06:14 PM

cat food he wants
Old 01-06-2003, 06:14 PM

All I can say is, you've hit on a question I've asked myself many times. The best answer would be an enquiry to the manufacturers. You've inspired me to make it, and I will report back.
Old 01-06-2003, 06:18 PM
Charter Member

Boscibo, Wysong makes duck, rabbit, and venison cat food.

And I expect that venison and duck are substantially more expensive than pork, so I wouldn't think that that would be the reason.
Old 01-06-2003, 06:19 PM

ENugent, what a damned interesting question. And I've never thought of this before.

Betcha I'll be up nights wondering from now on, though.

This may tie with my all-time frustration stumper that lasted for two years. Namely, if they call residents of Nigeria Nigerians, then what do they call residents of Niger?

I eventually found out they're called Nigeriens (note the frenchish e instead of a) But lord did I wonder in the meantime.
Old 01-06-2003, 06:27 PM

Don't know, but also don't recall any pork (or mouse) catfood either.
Old 01-06-2003, 07:03 PM

According to catchow.com. it's just because market research has shown that there's not much demand for it.

Quote:
There is no reason from a nutrition standpoint not to use pork for pet foods. However, market research studies indicate that there isn't a lot of consumer demand for dog or cat food products which contain pork as a primary ingredient.
Old 01-06-2003, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ENugent
Boscibo, Wysong makes duck, rabbit, and venison cat food.

And I expect that venison and duck are substantially more expensive than pork, so I wouldn't think that that would be the reason.
In the UK you can easily get duck and rabbit catfood -- I occasionally send some rabbit back to my inlaws' cats as a treat. You can also get salmon flavor (as opposed to tuna or generic 'fish' flavor).

I think the deal with mouse flavor is simply that mice, being small creatures with not a lot of meat on them, would be expensive to raise and process in sufficient bulk, considering what a can of catfood costs and how many mice you'd need for each one. Besides, let the fat kitties go catch their own damn mice.
Old 01-06-2003, 07:17 PM
Charter Member

They use it ALL in the hotdogs.

Even the oink.

Nothing left over for catfood.

(I know, there was a recent thread that said they were actually NOT all lips and assholes)
Old 01-06-2003, 07:25 PM

By fderal law,

Most hot dogs do not contain non-skeletal meats since they are required to state this on the package and it grosses out consumers. However, this is not true of some brands of chorizo and meat loafs (e.g. pickle loaf, pimento loaf, etc.)
Old 01-06-2003, 08:21 PM

Re: Re: Why no pork cat food?

Because all the leftover bits go into Spam.

Peace,
~mixie
Old 01-06-2003, 08:31 PM

Re: Re: Why no pork cat food?

Quote:
Originally posted by Jpeg Jones
You ever had a Jack-in-the-Box taco?
I liked JITB tacos. They will never taste the same.
Old 01-06-2003, 09:43 PM
BANNED

If the poster was refering to all cats including large one, Lions, leoopards etc eat Wart hogs and Jaguars eat boars all the time.
Old 01-06-2003, 11:26 PM

I was scanning to the end hoping to not see what was contained in Stocktons and Dr_Paprika's posts. So anyway, what they said.
Old 01-06-2003, 11:56 PM

Everything left over from a pig is put into sausages. Except the oink!
Old 01-12-2003, 06:24 AM

ever read the back of a cat food packet? ever noticed they usually (fish aside) dont' specifiy just what type of meat is in there? usually it'll say "meat" or "meat by products" most likely, these include pork
Old 01-12-2003, 07:42 AM
Creature of the Night

One of our cats prefers to bypass the catfood manufacturing companies and steal the pork right off of our plates, if we're not quick enough to give her her OWN serving of pig (bacon, pork, ham, she doesn't care, it's all good). She likes venison and turkey, too. I'm rather puzzled as to why cat food manufacturers don't put out a bacon flavored food or treat for cats, as dog food manufacturers do.

On the other hand, cats have catnip, which apparently makes up for a LOT of things from the feline point of view.
Old 01-12-2003, 10:48 AM

Another possibility might have something to do with pork having a higher risk than poultry and beef of containing encysted toxoplasma. Cats infected with toxoplasma shed the parasites in their feces, exposure to which poses a health risk to humans.

The relationship between pork, cats, toxoplasma, and pregnant women.
Old 01-12-2003, 07:46 PM

Quote:
I'm rather puzzled as to why cat food manufacturers don't put out a bacon flavored food or treat for cats, as dog food manufacturers do.
Do they have HEB in your part of Texas? I was in Texas until recently and I used to buy store brand beef and bacon canned food for my cat at HEB. He loved it.