Why Am I Suddenly Craving Jello?

I’m going through a pack about every 2 days. Lemon jello, lime jello, peach jello… I actually crave the stuff.

It all started when the recent cold wave moved in.

Near as I can tell, the stuff is mostly water with some sugar and miniscule protein. And, oh yes, neon-color dyes, but the flavor/color doesn’t seem to matter that much. Think maybe it’s the water content my body is going for?

Does anyone know where I can get apple jello? I used to buy it years ago, but it doesn’t seem to be an option on the store shelves anymore.

Pregant?

Ha! I was going to say the same thing.

Seriously though, we usually crave a particular food because the body is lacking in a nutrient that food contains (usually in abundance). Don’t ask me how the body “knows” what food(s) contain a given nutrient, but I’m sure there’s an explanation. Jell-O is mostly water, gelatine and sugar. Maybe you have a severe gelatine deficiency, who knows? It’s probably not water, since there are easier ways to get that.

Hmmm. maybe you need to go to the hospital! :smiley:

It’s a good old comfort food. It’s light, sweet and pleasant.

Or, secretly you’re using it for an excuse to have whipped cream.

There’s quite a bit of protein in Jello. Maybe you’re not getting enough protein? Other than that, it’s probably the water content. After all, Jell-o is pretty much just water and sugar in a suspension of gelatin (protein).

Green apple is one of the new “Extreme” flavors in a a bright blue box. They have it at my grocery store, I’ve been wondering if its any good.

it’s sweet, it can be gobbled down, it usually doesn’t leave one with that “bad conscience” about indulging into sweet stuff en masse, er… </me off to fetch some jello>

maybe your brain wants to get more sugar for burning into your body, now that it’s gotten cold ?

OK, all you smart-mouths who suggested “pregnant” - I know you’re full of wit, but to say that to a woman who has been married 14 years and would not have minded having children… that’s pretty low. Also typical of guys who think they’re so damn funny when they say stuff like that and never stop to think that that can be a painful thing for some women to hear.

Here’s the deal - anyone who mentions that again will, within a month, receive irrefutable proof that I am NOT pregnant. Look for a small package with biohazard labels in your snail mail. Got that? You Have Been Warned

Now that THAT is out of the way - no, it’s not a secret desire for whipped cream, either. I never heard of eating jello with whipped cream until I met my husband. I’ve tried it, but can’t say it’s something I’d exert myself for. Naw… I like to suck it down straight.

I suspect it’s the water content, and maybe somewhat the sugar. Doubt it’s the protein - I get quite a bit of that anyhow. But I am spending serveral hours a day out in the weather, so maybe my body is just craving more quick-burning fuel and water.

Let’s not be so harsh there. Certainly if any offense was perceived then I, for one, do apologize. The idea of cravings being associated with pregnancy is irreversibly entwined in popular culture, however, and the reference was a perfectly natural one to make. None of the people who made similar comments knew of your situation, nor would they have done so if they had known, I’m sure. The remarks were intended to amuse, not to cause hurt. Surely you can see that. I’m very sorry about your situation, and I can certainly understand why you might be upset, but try to take the comments in the spirit in which they were intended. :slight_smile:

Well, normally I do take such comments as intended, but that does not eliminate the fact that they do, in fact, hurt. Which is my point - even if not intended to hurt they do. I don’t think anyone here intended to be offensive - but they were.

Trust me, I am not hyper-sensitive about this - after all, the husband and I have not gotten on the IVF merry-go-round or put ourselves through the wringer of adoption. I have, however, seen other women reduced to tears by such unthinking comments. At which point they’re told to not take it so seriously, it was only meant in fun, etc. etc. Well, to them it’s not funny. Minstral shows with white men in blackface were intended solely for amusement as well. Ask the average black person how they feel about that episode of vaudeville.

Even if something is common in society that doesn’t mean it should be.

I’m gonna try a different angle here… Sometimes a craving is a sign of something the body needs, sometimes of something the mind needs. :wink:
You said it started when things got cold. Do you have any memories that would connect Jello w/ cold weather? What about some other event that’s happened recently?

oh ew. Ew!

I suppose my point really was, if you’re going to post about cravings on a heavily-used message board, you ought to expect that sort of comment and maybe include something in the OP to head that off. But, I DID say i was sorry :smiley:

You are having nightmares with Bill Cosby in them?

:smiley:

A large serving of Tomato Aspic should cure you. :smiley:

Woah, there. You’re creating a strawman by comparing this to blackface minstrel shows. Society in general, as was mentioned above, considers that comment perfectly acceptable. When something is personally offensive to you, it makes the person who made the (supposedly) offensive remark feel terrible when you lay into them like that. Note how Q.E.D. felt he/she had to apologize profusely. While everyone empathises with your situation, they needn’t walk on eggshells because something they say might offend someone. If the comment was personally offensive to you, you could have politely mentioned that, and everyone would have been fine with it.

Sorry about the further hijack – carry on.

I’m sorry if my comment was hurtful, my apologies. No harm intended, I assure you.

Yeah, I have to side with OCC and Q.E.D. here. They’re not mind-readers (to my knowledge). How were they supposed to know that a comment like that would be hurtful to you. That fact is, if you weren’t in your particuar situation, I doubt you would have seen it as offensive and I’m positive you wouldn’t have criticized their judgement in authoring such a post.
What I’m trying to say is that YOU were the one to commit a social blunder by accusing the afore mentioned of committing a social blunder. The rant you posted was uncalled for, imposing undue guilt on them. I, for one, believe they are owed an apology.
I can understand your situation and the emotions one would experience with such a situation. The fact it, it’s not acceptable to make general society feel lousy for your own personal problems when it’s not their fault.
It also helps to look at things from another person’s point of view as well.
Best Wishes to You,
-Ozzy

I think the point has been well-made. I don’t see any further need to hijack the thread this way. I bear Broomstick no ill will for lashing out the way she did, and I explained my feelings about it. I say, just let it be and let her have her thread back. :slight_smile:

Jell-O is a brand of gelatin.