Spike... Kennedy... Sophie... Barney (Vulkon in Cleveland)

For my wifes birthday, I treated her to a weekend in Cleveland (wait! it gets better!) so we can attend the Vulkon Buffy convention. Featured guests were James Marsters (Spike) and Andy Hallet (some character on the unwatchable Angel), with other Buffy cast members James C. Leary (Clem) and Iyari Limon (Kennedy).

Laura, being a huge Buffy fan, had a blast. I, being a doting Dad and loving Husband took care of the aforementioned Sophie so that Laura could attend the entire convention with little fuss*.

Oh, and Sophie loves Barney. That’s how the Purple One fits in all this.

The first day, Saturday, was spent with Laura buying stuff, watching James Marsters do his presentation, and standing in line for 2.5 hours for a photograph. I, of course, had baby duty so I had to leave the convention and take her for a drive (so she could nap - she wouldn’t do so in the hotel room). I tried to make the Marsters presentation, but the room was too hot for Little Miss so we left pretty soon after he took the stage, leaving Mommy to sweat it out.

Outside, we met my new favorite Buffy cast member: Iyari Limon. Oh, I know that a lot of you hate her character and all that, but I have to tell you: she just fell in love with my little girl. Iyari saw Sophie and said “Oh my God, your baby is sooo cute! How old is she?” (18 months, and yes, Sophie is REALLY PRECIOUS). Since Sophie was standing, I told Iyari “You know, the baby dances if you sing to her”, whereupon I started singing the Barney classic “Books are Fun.” Sophie, of course, started dancing away which Iyari found totally cute. She then started playing peek-a-boo with Sophie, who just thought it was the funniest thing in the world, just laughing and laughing at this crazy stranger. Iyari then asked me for a photograph(!) of her and Sophie (which I gladly accepted), so we got a couple of official photographs from the Vulkon photographer. I then handed Iyari and the photog my business card, saying “If you may, please email me a copy.” (We met Iyari later, when I did have my camera ready, and we got a couple of photographs of our own just in case).

Laura, of course, missed all this, but had me tell the tale about 3 times that night.

Then the next day it was Marsters turn to be charmed by Sophie. After his Sunday presentation (which I missed again - I must have missed 95% of the convention), Sophie (with Barney doll in tow) and I met Laura, who was in line to get his autograph. Towards the end of the line, Little Miss started getting fussy so we had to distract her, and quick!!! So we started singing, which caused the baby to dance (she dances like Forrest Gump), which in turn caused the line to break up in laughter. Marsters apparently noticed, for when we got to him he asked “Can I sign the dancing baby’s Barney?”

So now we have the only James Marsters signed Barney doll in existence. :smiley:

Laura had a wonderful time. So did I. As did Sophie.

*I was the biggest freak there: If you were there, I was the guy who wore khaki’s, a buttoned-down dress shirt, and a tie on Saturday; and jeans, a shirt and tie on Sunday (I look damn good dressed up). You might’ve noticed my little girl - she was a hit everywhere, and strangers were saying “Good morning Sophie” when they first saw her Sunday morning. We have a very special child. :love:

In most stories, we here in Northern Ohio say "I treated my xxxxx to a root canal , that being preferable to a weekend in Cleveland.:smiley:

Yay! I’m glad you had fun, and I’m glad that you are such a great husband! Some husbands I know wouldn’t cough up the money for the tickets, much less attend and keep the baby occupied!

Sophie is a doll and I’m very proud that she is my daughter. :smiley:

You might be surprised how good that show has gotten this year. This season(their fourth) has been better than season 7 of Buffy.

Hasn’t he lost his soul a number of times in Angel as well? You’d think he’d staple it to his head or something…