What does that joke from "Training Day" mean?

In Training Day, Scott Glenn’s drug-dealer character tells Jake Hoyt a story about a snail on the porch and who gets busted up by the house owner, finally getting kicked into the lawn. After a year, he climbs all the way back onto the porch, and when the owner sees him, he goes “What the fuck’s your problem?!”

According to the drug dealer, if you can figure this parable out, you know what life on the streets is all about. Was there really a moral to this story, or was the dealer just screwing with Hoyt?

I dunno…it sounds like he is alluding to the amount of time and effort it took the snail to get back to the house just to confront the guy for being kicked off to that being life on the streets.

Perhaps he means, from the Owner’s point of view, that small things such as tossing the snail may come back to haunt you even after a while.

That you must be sure what you are doing is what you want to do or that you will have pay consequences.

Well, i haven’t seen the movie, but the joke is the snail still holds a mad-on for getting kicked and even if it takes a year to crawl his slow, snail behind back up to the porch, he’s going to let that guy have a piece of his mind.

I guess the lesson could be, don’t forget those who wronged you or who you wronged. Get your revenge, or look out for those seeking revenge on you cause it could happen when you don’t expect it to.

I agree with Max Carnage; ie, you might not remember who you kicked, but they will remember you-and they carry grudges.

The snail is worthless, and even though he got his ass kicked, he wasted a year coming back and is about to get his ass kicked again.

Why’d the snail paint an “S” on his car?

I think I agree more with Barbarian on this one. I thought the point of the parable was that if you’re a snail it doesn’t matter how hard you work to get back on the porch after getting kicked off, and it doesn’t matter how long you spend getting back up there, in the end you’re still a snail and there isn’t a darn thing you can do to that guy who is just going to kick you right off the porch again. I thought the lesson was that on the streets there are “men on porches” and there are “snails” and no matter how long or hard the “snails” work, in the end the “men on the porches” will do whatever it suits them to do and they could care less about the time and effort put forth by the “snails” to try to climb the ladder.

I see the point about how things can come back to haunt you, except that I don’t see how that snail is going to do anything at all to haunt the owner of the house…

Like I don’t already have enough on my plate. Now, I’ve gotta worry about Marvin “Stinky” Frankle coming to get me after I stuck his head down the toilet 25 years ago in second grade. :frowning:

Thanks for the responses, guys.

Because eachy Nissan, she go!

S car go!

Nah its about understanding that something no matter how small and insignificant it may be can always get back to you…Always keep your friends close and your enemies closer…Its the same reason that “Alonzo” is apparently best friends with the drug dealer…until he takes him out…In this instance hes a cop so he can get away with something like that…but like i said no matter how small a diss or whatever itll come back to bite you in the ass…

I think the story is like a metaphor for zombie threads.

Sorry guys, I couldn’t resist

King Kong ain’t got nuthin’ on me!