The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 05-06-2003, 02:40 PM

Whatever happened to "The Cry of Cthulhu"?

Some time in the very early '80s, when I was really getting into H.P. Lovecraft and the Cthulhu Mythos, I bought a back issue (not sure of its date) of "Heavy Metal Magazine," a "Special H.P. Lovecraft Issue." One of the articles mentioned that a new movie was in production, to be called "Cry of Cthulhu."

And then I never heard anything about the movie after that. Does anyone know what happened to the project? Why it died? Whether it might, possibly, someday be resurrected? ("That is not dead which can eternal lie . . . ")

I only ask because I've seen a few screen treatments of Lovecraft's horror fiction and I've never been entirely satisfied. The best effort so far was the recent "Dagon," and even that took too many liberties with the basic premises of "Shadow Over Innsmouth." What I want to see is something as faithful as possible to the spirit of the original -- e.g., a story set in the 1930s, where all the protagonists are creepy New England shabby-gentry like Henry Armitage and Randolph Carter -- and the theme of racial prejudice = fear of humanoid hybrid monsters really comes across, the way HPL himself would have done it, fuck the PC police -- and there's no soppy sex or romance or ordinary emotional interaction between human beings. Something really HPL! I have no idea whether "Cry of Cthulhu" would have been like that.
Advertisements  
Old 05-06-2003, 02:54 PM
MineFujiko

"Cry of Cthulhu"? Cthulhu NEVER cries!

Except when he hears the song "Butterfly Kisses." That just makes him all weepy inside.
Old 05-06-2003, 03:04 PM
MineFujiko

http://www.dragoncreststudios.com/ mentions "budget restrictions and studio executive conflicts," the bullet in the heart of potentially great but never made movies everywhere.
Old 05-06-2003, 03:21 PM

Oh, there have been a few real sinkers that have been "based on the work of H.P. Lovecraft".

Dagon, anyone?

From Beyond? The Lurking Fear? Or maybe Necronomicon , The Unnamable or The Unnamable II: The Statement of Randolph Carter?

And there have been others. *shudder*

(I wonder how many sanity points I just lost?)
Old 05-06-2003, 05:53 PM

Shouldn't it be called "The RAWOOOOOOOOORG!RARR!IAIAIAI!!!! of Cthulhu"?
Old 05-06-2003, 07:35 PM
BANNED

Its more like RwIPHATGNOOA@#WEIA>RAI!@!!!!!!!!!IAIA!!!!!.

Besides, I don't cry. MineFujiko is lying about "Butterfly Kisses" thing, lying I tell you.
Old 05-06-2003, 10:20 PM

Don't forget The Dunwich Horror with Sandra Dee and Dean Stockwell. Trippy, man.
Old 05-06-2003, 11:03 PM
Charter Member

Cast a Deadly Spell was pretty good. It wasn't based directly on any of Lovecraft's works, but fans should enjoy it.
Old 05-06-2003, 11:46 PM
MineFujiko

Quote:
Originally posted by DreadCthulhu
Its more like RwIPHATGNOOA@#WEIA>RAI!@!!!!!!!!!IAIA!!!!!.

Besides, I don't cry. MineFujiko is lying about "Butterfly Kisses" thing, lying I tell you.
A VISITATION! [falls to the floor, pentagramming herself violently] I'll never blaspheme again! The horror! O, the unspeakable HORROR!

Have you ever seen a 300-foot squid cry? It is so sad! If you ever come across him when he's in one of those moods, do him a favor and don't mention Shub-Niggurath. The less said about that heartless bitch-goat, the better.
Old 05-07-2003, 01:16 AM
Sith Mod

Quote:
Originally posted by hebesphenomegacorona
Shouldn't it be called "The RAWOOOOOOOOORG!RARR!IAIAIAI!!!! of Cthulhu"?
Of course, the actual cry was not meant to be rendered by mortal keyboards.
Old 05-07-2003, 01:35 AM
MineFujiko

Quote:
Originally posted by Miller
Of course, the actual cry was not meant to be rendered by mortal keyboards.

Hey! You're not riffing on my gullibility, are you?
Old 05-07-2003, 08:06 AM

How do you pronounce @,#, and >?
Old 05-07-2003, 09:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally posted by hebesphenomegacorona
How do you pronounce @,#, and >?
With a silent +
Old 05-07-2003, 09:54 AM
Charter Member

There is also [i]The Haunted Palace which claims to be based on a story by Poe but is actually The Case of Charles Dexter Ward.
Old 05-07-2003, 12:41 PM

Oh, and the ideal Cthulhu Mythos movie should have sets by Edward Gorey and costumes by H.R. Giger!
Old 05-07-2003, 12:45 PM

And how do you pronounce +?
Old 05-07-2003, 01:21 PM

You make like you're pronouncing "R" but you use the "H" sound instead, and put a little "L" inflection at the end. At least that's how sentient beings without gills have to do it.
Old 04-05-2011, 08:37 AM
BANNED

I know this thread is very old, but in case the guy who asked the question is still around, here is exactly what happened to the film. I happened to have spoke to the man who was going to create the special effects for the movie. He had artist renderings all made up and they were ready to create miniatures and give it an "old school" treatment. This is circa late 70s. The problem is, the guys behind the movie had little experience and no contacts in the film industry. Still, they got a meeting with a studio and the lady who heard their pitch said she liked it, but they weren't interested. A year later, IRS contacted them with a request for $500,000. Turns out, the woman greenlit the project after they left for 3 mil, took the money and created a paper trail that led to them. She's supposed to be still in jail to this day. The creators became completely disenchanted with the whole Hollywood thing and dropped it all together.

If the movie is to ever be made, somebody else will have to pick up the torch.
Old 04-05-2011, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeamusMcCool View Post
I know this thread is very old, but in case the guy who asked the question is still around, here is exactly what happened to the film. I happened to have spoke to the man who was going to create the special effects for the movie. He had artist renderings all made up and they were ready to create miniatures and give it an "old school" treatment. This is circa late 70s. The problem is, the guys behind the movie had little experience and no contacts in the film industry. Still, they got a meeting with a studio and the lady who heard their pitch said she liked it, but they weren't interested. A year later, IRS contacted them with a request for $500,000. Turns out, the woman greenlit the project after they left for 3 mil, took the money and created a paper trail that led to them. She's supposed to be still in jail to this day. The creators became completely disenchanted with the whole Hollywood thing and dropped it all together.

If the movie is to ever be made, somebody else will have to pick up the torch.
They have discovered the only lurking terror that is more horrible and relentless than Cthulhu ... the IRS!
Old 04-05-2011, 08:59 AM

On a vaguely related note, I used to have that issue of Heavy Metal. It had about seven or eight stories based on or inspired by the work of HPL, plus lots of other mythos-related odds and ends.

Of all the "tribute" HPL material I've ever owned, this magazine really stood out. Definitely worth tracking down if you're an HPL fan.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:02 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malthus View Post
They have discovered the only lurking terror that is more horrible and relentless than Cthulhu ... the IRS!
LOL!

The gentleman I was referring too wrt special effects is Tom Sullivan. He did the special effects for Evil Dead and if you ever get to see his museum of the dead at a horror movie convention, he'll have copies of his artwork for "Cry of Cthulhu" available for viewing and/or purchase. Some really cool stuff in that 70s Heavy Metal kind of way.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:08 AM
BANNED

Here's an example from his website

http://www.darkageproductions.com/color_gallery.php

Also from his website:

"I met some aspiring filmmakers in Jackson Michigan and did some Posters, Paintings and Sculptures to help promote their movie that was never made called "The Cry of Cthulhu". We did get some attention from Cinefantastique and Starlog and both published my art with their articles."

http://www.darkageproductions.com/artist02.php
Old 04-05-2011, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeamusMcCool View Post
Here's an example from his website

http://www.darkageproductions.com/color_gallery.php
Cool, thanks for the link.

If I am remembering things correctly the illustration on the second page was used as the cover for a "Call of Cthulhu" RPG adventure.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dijon Warlock View Post
Don't forget The Dunwich Horror with Sandra Dee and Dean Stockwell. Trippy, man.
I love that movie. Part of it is childhood nostalgia (my parents took us to see it at the drive-in when I was about 10) but I think it really holds up.

Btw, BrainGlutton, I have that Heavy Metal issue somewhere!

Last edited by FriarTed; 04-06-2011 at 07:20 AM..
Old 04-06-2011, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravity View Post
Oh, there have been a few real sinkers that have been "based on the work of H.P. Lovecraft".

Dagon, anyone?

From Beyond? The Lurking Fear? Or maybe Necronomicon , The Unnamable or The Unnamable II: The Statement of Randolph Carter?

And there have been others. *shudder*

(I wonder how many sanity points I just lost?)
From Beyond sucked, but MAN, did Barbara Crampton look HOT when she she got her freak on!
http://www.imdb.com/media/rm2438169856/tt0091083
Papa like!
Old 04-06-2011, 09:36 AM

2003, hmm? "That is not dead which can eternal lie . . . ", indeed.

At least this zombie returned from the dead with new insight
Old 04-06-2011, 10:45 AM
21st Century Troubadour

It'd make a cool Tim Burton movie...
Old 04-06-2011, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainGlutton View Post
What I want to see is something as faithful as possible to the spirit of the original -- e.g., a story set in the 1930s, where all the protagonists are creepy New England shabby-gentry like Henry Armitage and Randolph Carter -- and the theme of racial prejudice = fear of humanoid hybrid monsters really comes across, the way HPL himself would have done it, fuck the PC police -- and there's no soppy sex or romance or ordinary emotional interaction between human beings. Something really HPL! I have no idea whether "Cry of Cthulhu" would have been like that.
Of course, in the strange aeons, a movie with some correspondence to what BrainGlutton wanted has been made--I refer to The Call of Cthulhu, a silent movie made in 2005 to look like a movie made in the earlies. It is surprisingly well-done, thought the SFX for Cthulhu are appropriately terrible. I don't know that the racial prejudice really comes through, though.
Old 04-06-2011, 12:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Ministre de l'au-delà View Post
It'd make a cool Tim Burton movie...
NOOOOO!!!! Cthulhu can awaken, I guess, but please, just let Tim Burton lie dormant for a while...
Old 04-06-2011, 12:53 PM

Apparently, DreadCthulhu has been banned. I would not have thought the moderator's powers extended that far...
Old 04-07-2011, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Man Half Wit View Post
Apparently, DreadCthulhu has been banned. I would not have thought the moderator's powers extended that far...
That is not banned which can eternal lurk;
And in strange eons, the mods may well unban that jerk.