The thread police - get a life

DOn’t you hate people who think thay have to police everyone else’s threads? I am not talking about moderators, I mean this:

Okay so this person is minding his or her own business when someone sends her a link saying someone is posting sex related threads. Even though the thread wasn’t started by the person he or she feels compelled to monitor, he or she checks it out anyway and feels further compelled to post. Then has to explain that they weren’t actually interested in the subject, they simply felt compelled to police the subject matter because all these sex related threads are muddying 1/3 of the board that I have the audacity to be new at and he or she finds the subject matter boring enough to have to have someone send updates to him or her to make sure that no one is talking about sex. Boring enough to go and check it out herself, and boring enough to be compelled to “speak up” .

Get a life. If you don’t want to read it - dont’ read it but don’t “speak up” to other people.

THOUGHTCRIME!

Boy you’ve got me pegged. Jarbabyj: the gal who hates people talkin’ about sex.

That’s me. I’m so…shamed.

I don’t see Jar doing anything wrong. She’s not entitled to bitch?

BIG FONT VIOLATION!

Oh, come off it, jar, we all know you’re the prude of the SDMB!

:stuck_out_tongue:

First, it’s good form to [url=“http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?threadid=182532”]provide a link[/ur] so people know what the fuck you are talking about.

Second, “someone sends her a link”? Why do you think that’s the case? I’m sure she found the thread just like most people do, just like I did, but browsing the boards.

Third, I can’t really say I blame jarbaby. The number of threads that degenerating into flirt-fests lately make me think it’s rutting season as well. And that jar, she’s a prude, all right.

I’ve begrudgingly taught myself not to read threads when I can figure out from the title that they’ll be flirt threads. On the other hand, I’m avoiding more threads than usual around here lately, and there are some threads where you just can’t tell what they’ll be.

If it’s going to be a flirt thread, I don’t see a problem with perhaps asking that they be labeled in a way where we know they’re going to be flirt threads.

Fixed Link

porc, someone did send me a link, in the midst of a private discussion about the prevalence of sex threads lately, particularly davebear’s sex threads. THe link said “davebear’s at it again!” so I checked it out.

Doesn’t matter to me if you are prudish or not but you can generally tell that the subject matter is going to be along the adult/TMI vein…can’t you? I certainly can. If you want to avoid then do so. I LIKE rutting season, I purchased a license. If I find some of them offensive, i will just avoid those. I am not going to go in and cry and complain (unless it is here in the BBQ pit where it is much more appropriate. )

For that matter the person who sent you the link should get a life too.
)

I’ve never thought of jarbabyj, sex, and police together before.
Jarbaby
Sex
Police
Hmmm.
Jarbaby, Sex, Police…

I’ll be right back.

THUMPA THUMPA THUMPA THUMPA THUMPA TH[sub]UMPA[/sub]

SLAM!!!

I’M COMBING MY HAIR!!!

Sorry, jar, I missed that part. The rest of my post stands. You are a prude. :smiley:

I DON’T CARE!

[SIZE=1] I HAD to do that…

Sorry porcupine. My bad, I thought I had posted all of her ingenious quotes that would have explained what the fuck I was talking about. But at least Jarbabyj did corroborate my story taht I did in fact know what the fuck I was talking about, so now you too can knowwhat the fuck i am talking about.

However the fuck you want to explain it, it is weird.

well said.

Well then don’t YOU speak up about her speaking up about it…and…and…and…

Ah fuck it- not even worth the trouble.

Wait, what’s the problem with people sending each other threads privately and commenting on them? Should we now monitor our e-mails? I didn’t know that was now a sign of having no life, I guess I must give up my thread sending and commenting ways.

(FTR, I had nothing to do with the sending of the thread referred to in this thread.)

Okay you have a good point there…I wouldn’t want to become the email thread sending police…AAAACck (She runs from teh room with her hair on fire)

Anyway, yep I took it to the pit but I didn’t jump into her thread. I f you don’t like something take it to the pit. I did (after I got done rutting of course)

I agree that if it’s clear what a thread is about in the title, then people who complain about the topic in the thread are stupid. That said, I don’t know if that’s the case here. I opened that thread too, and didn’t expect it to be another big flirt fest, but it was. I was annoyed a little too, just because it seems like a lot of threads are turning that way by the same people.

I think it is just a case of too much at once. If it happens once in a while people tend to think it’s not a big deal, but it’s kind of hard to ignore right now, there’s an awful lot of threads like this lately. So I feel jarbabyj’s annoyance. People of course are free to not care that I am annoyed and carry on.

I also think it’s hilarious that jarbaby is getting pitted for raining on people’s sex parade.:slight_smile: