The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > In My Humble Opinion (IMHO)

Old 07-01-2003, 02:53 PM

"Ha! I can't even read the top line!" or, Doper Bad Vision Survey

One of my friends recently reported that in a survey of employees at the hospital she works at, she was found to have the absolute worst vision. I don't know if she won a prize or not, but I think she should have. Anyway, it started me pondering about my fellow Dopers, and just exactly how bad our vision is, as a whole. (Blind Dopers feel free to check in, too. Or legally blind Dopers. You know, whoever.) I'm also curious to find out just exactly who among us has the absolute worst vision without actually being blind.

I'll start off. At my last checkup, my vision was -5.5 diopters in the left eye and -5.0 in the right. My eye doc doesn't give me measurements in 20/whatever anymore, just in diopters, so that's all I can tell you.

In practical terms, what this means is that without my glasses on, I can't even recognize my own husband from more than five feet away. In more primitive times, I would have been lion food a long time ago.

So! Share your bad vision! I'm positive I can't be the worst among us.
Advertisements  
Old 07-01-2003, 03:04 PM

-5.5 in my right eye, -4.75 in my left. So I'm right up there with you, [/b]Ms[/b]

I mostly wear contacts, but when I put my glasses on, they're like coke bottles.

Happy
Old 07-01-2003, 03:04 PM
Charter Member

I had my eyes checked in March.

Right eye (it had gotten worse): -6.50
Left eye (it got better): -4.50

I'm still pretty bad off. Basically, I have about three feet before people become a blur and no longer have faces. I wear my contacts pretty much constantly (I do not sleep in them) since my glasses are 6 years old - but I'm getting new ones in August!
Old 07-01-2003, 03:05 PM

You're not. I can't remember right now but I think my disposable contact lenses are like -7.5 and -8.0.

I also asked my eye doctor what my "20" number was. He said he'd have to figure it out theoretically.
Old 07-01-2003, 03:05 PM

I'm -5.5 in each eye, so, nyah, whoever said that...
Old 07-01-2003, 03:07 PM

MsWhatsit, I got you beat WAY bad. Try this on for size:

I'm presently operating on a prescription of -10 diopters in my left eye, -9 in the right. Without my glasses on or contacts in, I can't even SEE the "Big E" on the eye chart anymore -- actually it's been almost a couple of decades since I was able to. I've made opticians gasp, their own eyes bugging out, just by handing them my prescription slips to make me new glasses.

When I take off the glasses or remove the contacts, all I really see is a blur of light and colors. And note, I said that my PRESENT prescription was -10 left eye and -9 right eye. I'm 2-3 years overdue for an eye exam. I can still see OK with these, but I know I'd see better if I found out how much of an upgrade I needed and got it.
Old 07-01-2003, 03:15 PM

Two words: laser surgery.
I don't recall my prescription prior to surgery a few years ago, but I do know I couldn't read the big E on the eye chart. In other words, blind as a bat.
Perfect vision now! Hopefully, y'all are candidates for the corrective surgery.
Old 07-01-2003, 03:18 PM

Once you get over about -4.00 D, most people can't see the big "E" anymore, so it does become a bit of a theoretical exercise to figure out the "20/20" number. I did it to myself when I was in optometry school and came up with an approximation of 20/1500 for both eyes. To put that in perspective, I'm about a -7.00 (a bit worse, because I've got high levels of astigmatism too.)

the reason that we don't give the prescriptions out as something like 20/100 is that it's meaningless for making glasses or ording contacts. 20/100 just means that you have to stand at 20 feet to see what a normal person sees at 100 feet, but it tells you nothing about what powers are needed to correct that.
Old 07-01-2003, 03:27 PM

There's an E on those charts? I haven't been able to see that for years now.

I'm currently at -9.00 in both eyes. Plus reading glasses.

My opthamologist is iffy on me having the laser surgery since I've had so many issues with my eyes. Plus it's not in the budget right now. Sigh. I don't remember what it's like to see clearly without some form of corrective lens.
Old 07-01-2003, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Blonde
I don't recall my prescription prior to surgery a few years ago, but I do know I couldn't read the big E on the eye chart. In other words, blind as a bat.
Perfect vision now! Hopefully, y'all are candidates for the corrective surgery.
I have two words for you, too, Blonde, and they are --

FLAT BROKE.

Someone I knew whose myopia was as bad as mine had laser surgery a few years back also, and it completely fixed her. But it cost her $5,000 per eye to have it done. I don't have THAT kind of money to spend on ANYTHING.

Now I realize that prices come down after something's been done for awhile, and maybe laser eye surgery costs less now, but even so, if it still costs any more than the price of an eye exam plus a pair of new glasses and small supply of contacts -- which I seriously doubt -- it's still a no-go for me.
Old 07-01-2003, 03:45 PM

Time for Lazik

DIA 14.0/8.8

-6.00 L
-6.50 R
Old 07-01-2003, 05:17 PM

Both my eyes are in the -6.25 to -6.75 range (they shift a little back & forth; don't remember my last prescription). Plus astigmatism.
Old 07-01-2003, 05:26 PM

The contacts I wore up until March were -10.25 for my right eye and -10.5 for my left. My new set actually had less correction (-9.00 & -9.25).

My twin brother is at -14.00 for both eyes. He looked into laser correction but his corneas are too thin. There isn't enough tissue there to be able to remove as much as they would need to correct his vision. That is pretty much why I haven't checked it out yet although I may some day.
Old 07-01-2003, 05:42 PM

L -6.25
R -6.75, plus a little astigmatism

I would love to be able to wake up in the mornings seeing clearly, but apart from lack of $$$ I'm also a chicken when it comes to corrective surgery.
Old 07-01-2003, 07:15 PM

-7 right
-8 left.
Old 07-01-2003, 07:16 PM

Left eye: -12.75
Right eye: -11.5

[TV's Frank] I'M THE GOD! I'M THE GOD[/TVF]
Old 07-01-2003, 09:12 PM

Good Lord, you people ARE blind as bats! My vision's just plain weird, near perfect in my right eye and -3.00 in the left. Extremely imbalanced. But at least I can SEE! Bwahahahaha!
Old 07-01-2003, 10:21 PM

Both -7 with astigmatism in both. At least I don't need to separate my disposable contacts.

If I try to read a book without glasses, I've got a 1/3 inch window in terms of closeness between being able to read and going cross-eyed
Old 07-01-2003, 10:29 PM

-3.5 in both eyes. I'm lucky that it's the same left as right so I can use the same contact perscription in either.

It's a bit scarey. Every time I get my eyes checked I get a higher perscription. I started out only needing glasses to drive. Now I fumble around every morning till I find my specs!
Old 07-01-2003, 10:41 PM

I'm about -6.5 in my left eye and -4 in my right with nasty astigmatism.

We set aside the funds in the MSA this year for my LASIK surgery (about $1400 total -- the prices have come down, folks! just don't go to the $299 specials who advertise in the funny papers!). Now all I need to develop is the COURAGE.
Old 07-01-2003, 10:52 PM

Pulled my script off the wall.

OD -11.50
OS -12.50

I think it's getting worse.
Old 07-01-2003, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mama Tiger
I'm about -6.5 in my left eye and -4 in my right with nasty astigmatism.

We set aside the funds in the MSA this year for my LASIK surgery (about $1400 total -- the prices have come down, folks! just don't go to the $299 specials who advertise in the funny papers!). Now all I need to develop is the COURAGE.
Mama Tiger, in Dallas the Carter Eye Center performs Lasik for $500 an eye (and they are reputable, I didn't get my eyes done there but a lot of Dallas Cowboys did!) By MSA, I'm assuming you mean a flex spending plan offered by your employer; folks need to know they can save 30%+ (depending on tax bracket) by having the funds deducted from their paycheck, pre-tax.

Little known fact: if you sign up to put $1,200 per year in the flex plan, you could likely contribute $100 in January, get your surgery (cost of $1,200) - and then quit, never having to pay the remaining $1,100. Shhh!!
Old 07-01-2003, 10:55 PM
Charter Member

I can see the big E, but that's about it. I don't know the numbers on my prescription but I'm obviously very nearsighted. Also astigmatism, and then, as I started to get old, presbyopia. So now I need trifocals. One correction for distance, another for reading, and another in the middle for things like computer screens. Actually I use the Varilux lenses.

I don't think with all that I could be a lasik candidate. If they fixed my nearsightedness and astigmatism, I'd still need to wear glasses to read anyway. Plus the very idea of somebody slicing away on my eyeball, I don't care if it's with a scalpel or a laser, gives me the creeps.

BTW, I am always amused by the term "lasik." It's so close to "lasix," which is a drug they give race horses to somehow keep them from bleeding into their lungs when they run.
Old 07-01-2003, 11:05 PM

Well, now I have one more reason to detest horse racing.
MLS, do not assume you aren't a candidate for lasik! I had astigmastism in both eyes. Forget about the "slicing away on my eyeball" fears, it takes all of 10 seconds. Please go get an opinion from your eye doctor. I am amazed at how many people are scared about this surgery, as the screw-up stats are so low. Go do it!
I guarantee y'all, in 50 years lasik will be performed routinely and safely at our neighborhood Albertson's.

Eh, maybe Kroger.
Old 07-01-2003, 11:14 PM

R-7
L-8.5

May I just say how lovely it is with eyes this bad to finally not be the worse in any gathering, yay me!
I'm slowly working up the nerve and saving the money for the surgery, I've had corrective lenses since I was 5, but I'd like to actually see the O-face once before I die.
Old 07-01-2003, 11:42 PM
Charter Member

Blonde, it still wouldn't take care of presbyopia. I'd still have to wear reading glasses. The eye doctor who tried to talk me into it admitted as much.
Old 07-01-2003, 11:50 PM
Charter Member

I've memorised the eye-charts.....

The BEST ones are in my GP's surgery, 'cos they spell out a lot of the eye-drop/diuretic medications. It doesn't take an Einstein to figure out that if the first four letters are P..I..L..O.., then the next one is going to be P (for Pilopt) or C (for Pilocarpine, the generic version). Same with Diamox and

That's why I never bother getting my GP to check my vision...but I'm still too damned familiar with the charts at the ophth. clinic for my liking as well.

Oh, and just for the record, not all visual disorders can be remedied by glasses/laser/other corrective interventions. Some acuity problems (including total blindness of course) are resistant to treatments.
Old 07-02-2003, 12:05 AM

I had my eyes checked last week. I went down two diopters in under a year. I fear for how poorly I will see 10 years from now. I'm currently at OD -4.5 and OS -4.75. Then, when the doc tested my alignment, he actually said "Whoa". He showed me where I was and where I should be. It was almost funny how far off it was.

I would love to have Lasik but it makes me sick to my stomach just thinking about it. The glaucoma test is bad enough. If I can't stand a puff of air, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to handle a freaking scalpel touching my freaking eye, even if I wouldn't feel it.
Old 07-02-2003, 12:18 AM

I'm -9 in both eyes.

The good news is that every opthamologist I've seen has said I'm a perfect candidate for laser surgery. The bad news is that every opthamologist I've seen has said that this will be when I turn 25. I'm 18 now.

Oh well, at least I have something to look forward to *sigh*.
Old 07-02-2003, 12:23 AM

Don't know what diopter I am, but my eyes are something like 20/250. I can read without my glasses, but I don't usually do that. One thing that I've learned the hard way is that I never "casually" set my glasses down before I go to bed. I always put them in the exact same spot before going to bed. If I were to put them down anywhere else, and not remember where I placed them the next morning, it'd be impossible for me to find them (without digging out my spare pair).
Old 07-02-2003, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by benson
I If I can't stand a puff of air, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to handle a freaking scalpel touching my freaking eye, even if I wouldn't feel it.

Lasik surgery is entirely less freaky than the "puff of air" thing, trust me. I have talked SO many paranoid people into this surgery. Lordy, it doesn't hurt, is pretty affordable, and will offer you the ability to have perfect vision. Think about it - no fumbling for glasses, contacts -- I know there's a lot of people who have issues which prevent them from having the surgery, but for the rest of you: grow a backbone and go do it! I know it's weird, it's your EYES, but if you're at a good doctor, you don't have much to worry about. 10 seconds of minor discomfort, if any. 2 hours with eyes closed.
Then - 20/20.
Old 07-02-2003, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Blonde
I was considering that until a doctor friend of mine told me that all the optometrists he's met (oculists? ophthalmologists? you know, eye doctors) wear glasses. I'm not doing any surgery that the doctors aren't willing to do to themselves.
Old 07-02-2003, 12:43 AM

I would love to have the lasik surgery done! But I have only about 10% of normal vision in my right eye. If something went wrong in the surgery, I would be blind.

Besides, I've been wearing glasses since September 1944. After a while you kinda get used to these things.
Old 07-02-2003, 12:51 AM
Creature of the Night

I not only can't see the big E, I can barely distinguish the chart itself. If the chart is on a light colored wall, I can't see it. I can focus on things approximately 2 inches away from my eye in my right eye, 3 inches away from my left eye without glasses.

Eye surgery scares me silly. Plus, I've talked with opthamologists (I see them, not optometrists, because I'm diabetic), and I'd STILL have to wear corrective lenses after surgery.
Old 07-02-2003, 12:57 AM

Mr. BlueSky and Booker- I believe I am in your league as well. I had this one opthamologist try to bully me into Lasik by saying she would refuse to scribe any more lenses lest she contribute to the further degeneration of my sight. I called her partner the next day and got my lenses. Never went back again.
Old 07-02-2003, 02:04 AM

Well here's my story. About a month ago I get a little pain in my right eye. Well I was due for new glasses anyway and call the eye doc. Sure, he says. Come in on wednessday and we will check you out (2 days later). By that time I have a serious grey spot in my vision. He checks it out, sends me to another doc in town for a second opinion. Then the second doc sends me the next morning to the clinic for an MRI. A week later I have about 5% vision REMAINING in my right eye!!!

Turns out I have Optic Neuritis. .... or Swollen optic nerve. Yeah!

Try looking that up on Google and you get about a bizzillion sites talking about MS. Thats the Big MS..... Multiple Sclerosis (sp).

So I get pretty freaked out about that.

After that week when I get down to the 5% vision deal I go to yet another eye doc. The doc assistant starts giving me the big "E" test and I can hardly see the wall that the chart is on. She is visibly upset by this and grabbs something off a shelf along the wall and holds it right in front of my right eye (about 12 inches away). "What am i holding?", she says.

All I can see is the wrist cuff on her smock and a bit of the wall in the backround. I cant see her hand at all let alone what ever she is holding.

She is now even more visibly shaken.

"what happens when i do this?", she says. She starts moving her hand up and down. This literaly looks like she is sliding her hand into a grey paper bag! Its like her hand is dissappearing in front of my eyes (well, eye anyway). I tell her this and she gasps, then promptly leaves the room. Returns with the doc who's name is on the clinics big sign out front. The Big Doc! (btw, he is a lasik expert and actual eye surgeon)

Now..
I have since been put on IV steroids for 4 days, oral steroids for 6 days after that..(doc: take all the pills as prescribed or you might go crazy. Me: ok.)

I have about 50% of my vision back (guessing). I have seen a neurologist (sp) and she says its unlikely that i have MS but I am going to MAYO Clinic for a second opinion.

My vision is sucky to say the least.

Right eye: At about 50% and the vision in that eye is like looking into a steamed up mirror after a shower.

Left eye: near sighted, not sure on the numbers but I am sure glad I have it.

Prognosis: docs not sure how much right eye vision i will regain. Maybe full vision, or I maybe i stay at 50%.

How i got this optic neuroitis: Nobody knows yet. they even checked me for vitamin B12 deficiency and lymes disease plus about a krillion other tests.

Sorry folks, got a little long winded there. But it feels good to vent a little, in fact i feel a bit better having now written it all down.
Old 07-02-2003, 02:09 AM

Ok that was odd. After posting that looooong story about my eye i get 3 pop up adds for contacts and eye supplies. hmmm me thinks something is amiss here.
Old 07-02-2003, 11:02 AM

I have really, really bad vision. And I don't wear glasses or contacts.

Last year I went to the BMV to get a new sticker for my license plate. The girl behind the counter asked if I wanted to renew my license as well. I said "no" as it would require an eye exam and I hadn't yet figured out how to get around that problem. Then she informed me that my license was already expired and I had to renew it or I couldn't get the sticker. *sigh*

So, I start sweating. I place my head into that little contraption where your forehead depresses a bar and lights come on with the eye charts on them. I can't even read the top line.

She says, "Read the 3rd line from the bottom". I start guessing, "B.....G......4......A....." when she stops me. "What line are you reading?", she asks.

I said I misunderstood her and tried again. Failure.

I then explained to her that I use computers daily and I was on my lunch hour and my eyes were stressed. Somehow I thought she might let me off the hook with this lame excuse. Instead, she allowed me a couple minutes to "relax and rest my eyes". I stepped back from the counter, rubbing my eyes, and thinking, "How on earth am I going to pass this?!".

After a couple minutes I try again. This time, I suinted, used one eye, then the other, blinked...anything to make the characters clearer. Finally, I was able to slowly, logically determine each character. If I saw a "blob" that was kind of circular and had a bit more "blob" in the lower right, I'd guess "Q". If I saw a "blob" that was darker on the left than right, I'd guess "E". This went on until I somehow passed.

See ya on the roads...
Old 07-02-2003, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by malaka
This went on until I somehow passed.

See ya on the roads...
*checks the location field* Right, good. Just don't drive in Chicago please.

Is it bad if I don't know my prescription and work in an ophthalmology department? Thought so. My vision's bad enough that I need glasses to read, just because I can't see all the way to the page - that's how nearsighted I am. I'm also astigmatic, and have progressive bifocals simply to reduce the strain on my eyes from the prescription while doing close-up work.
Old 07-02-2003, 11:49 AM

Hah! I got you all beat. I don't have the exact numbers handy but -15 something in my left and -9 something in my right. Bad astigmatism also. Lasik is not an option. Checked it out with Emory Clinic here and my left eye would require an implant which I find too oogy and my right does not have enough cornea left to mess with. What do I win?
Old 07-02-2003, 12:15 PM

This thread made me look up the definition of legal blindness. (It's 20/200 that cannot be corrected with lenses, by the way.) I was in the 5's for diopters when I had the RK surgery in 1992. That was back when they used an actual scalpel, albeit a 70 micron thin diamond computer-guided scalpel. I thought I'd be freaked out by things Cutting! My! Eye! but it's amazing the level of equanimity a good dose of Valium can bring. You also get special drops that numb your eye, plus a weird clampy thing to hold your eye open. With the lights shining in and your pupul diliated, you can't see it coming.

Lasik is a completely different and much easier experience, from what I understand.
Old 07-02-2003, 12:23 PM

malaka, please do the rest of us a favor and go get some damn glasses, willya? I have trouble driving without my contacts just because of a lack of depth perception, though my right eye compensates for the left's fuzziness. PLEASE, they're not that expensive!
Old 07-02-2003, 12:24 PM

I don't know my perscription right off, but I haven't been able to read the top line (without lenses, of course) since third grade (nine years ago). Currently, without my glasses, I can't make out that there ARE letters/numbers. I just did some experimentation: in order to read a single-spaced, font-size 12 page, without my glasses, my eyes need to be about 4 inches from the paper.

On a related note, I'm sort of getting contacts sometime soon. But due to my perscription (I've also got rediculously bad astigmatism), they're mad expensive - soft lenses (good for about 2-4 months) will be about 500 bucks a pair. Right now, I've got a trial pair which aren't totally fitted properly, and only correct my vision to about 20/50, and my parents can't understand why I'm not being more enthusiastic.
Old 07-02-2003, 02:00 PM

I have fairly good vision, but my cousin has the worst vision of anyone I know. He recently switched from his childhood optometrist to one who deals with adults and might still have the letter detailing exactly what's wrong with his eyes.

Off the top of my head, he doesn't even have lenses in his eyes. If he takes off his thick glasses he's near blind, and his eyes are milky-looking with oddly shaped pupils and eyeballs. Even with the glasses he doesn't have peripheral vision. When he goes to the optometrist, other optometrists invariably enter the room to stare at my cousin's eyes because they've never seen ones quite so bad. He probably has everything it's possible to have without being blind. I really have to get ahold of the letter - the description of his eye problems is almost a page long, and my cousin was so proud when he got it.
Old 07-02-2003, 02:37 PM

I have keratoconus (KC). This means that my corneas are becoming progressively more conical. I, too, cannot see the big E on the eye chart. My eyesight is counted as CF (Counts Fingers, it's not worth the trouble of measuring it in numbers) in my right eye, and about 20/600 in my left.

My prescription has been changing dramatically about every six months. My last one was
Spherical Cylindrical Axis
-6.25 +2.00 110
-5.75 +2.50 072

I really have no idea what those numbers mean, other than thicker glasses. The KC will probably continue to progress. Eventually I'll wear hard contacts. If my vision isn't sufficiently corrected by those, there's the possibility of a cornea transplant (I know there are some other Dopers with KC. Beagledave had a transplant, I think?). LASIK is not an option, since the cornea thins significantly with KC.

Right now, my vision is corrected to about 20/50 in my right eye, and 20/30 in my left. I can still see ok, I just have a hard time making out things like price tags and street signs. My vision can literally change in the blink of an eye, as I have multiple focal points on my cornea. Something might be blurry one blink, and clearer the next, or vice versa.

It makes me feel better to see so many people in this thread that have worse vision than me, but continue to do normal everyday things like post to a message board.
Old 07-02-2003, 03:21 PM

I have no idea what the numbers on my prescription are, but the last time anyone bothered to convert it into a fraction my vision was 20/3000 in one eye and 20/4500 in the other. And that was almost 5 years ago.

My optometrist once told me that I have a slight astigmatism, but my myopia was so bad that the astigmatism didn't affect my vision at all.
Old 07-02-2003, 03:51 PM

drafty_de, that optic neuritis sounds terrible. I hope your vision comes back okay.
I recently read an article about a girl who developed a similar condition. It was a rare side effect of a medication she was taking. I hope you can check out the side effects of any meds you might have been taking. This article I read was written by the girl's mother - it was she who actually uncovered the cause of her daughter's near blindness; the doctor overlooked it, then when it was brought to her attention, she prescribed a different drug that listed the same rare side effect.
Old 07-02-2003, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by whiterabbit
malaka, please do the rest of us a favor and go get some damn glasses, willya? I have trouble driving without my contacts just because of a lack of depth perception, though my right eye compensates for the left's fuzziness. PLEASE, they're not that expensive!
You obviously haven't seen my nose. I have a large, greek nose. I don't even wear sunglasses. They make me look like I'm wearing those Groucho glasses.

I can't even open my eyes underwater, so contacts are way out.

However, I am saving up my pennies for Lasik. I figure a couple hours of agony and I won't have to worry about this anymore.
Old 07-02-2003, 04:10 PM
Uncharted
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally posted by carimwc
There's an E on those charts? I haven't been able to see that for years now.
Sounds familiar. You know those electronic desktop charts, the kind the DMV has? When I got my license a couple of years ago, they first tested me without my glasses. I honestly asked the clerk, "What chart?"
Old 07-02-2003, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by scr4
I was considering that until a doctor friend of mine told me that all the optometrists he's met (oculists? ophthalmologists? you know, eye doctors) wear glasses. I'm not doing any surgery that the doctors aren't willing to do to themselves.
At the clinic where I had mine done, both surgeons, the optometrist, and at least 2/3 of the support staff had had it done. And most of them did it 4 or 5 years ago.

Maybe your doctor friend needs to get out more?