Help! I found a snake! What should I do?

I moved a big log today, and underneath I found a snake. A big scary venomous snake with fangs and…Okay, it was just a little snake.

I was able to scoop it into a 5-gallon bucket. I threw in some dry leaves and grass, and covered it with some mesh screen. I hope that’s okay for a temporary home.

First of all, I would like to identify this snake. It has really cool markings on it. I doubt it’s poisonous or anything, but I would like to know. Are there any good online sources

Second, what should I do with it?

Releasing it into the garden is probably not the best option, unless I am sure it is harmless. I came across another snake earlier in the year, and it slithered away into the ground cover. I know it’s lurking there, just waiting to jump out at me! Well, maybe not, but it kind of creeps me out to know there is probably a snake around. I could easily release it elsewhere, but I’d like to know what kind of environment it will like.

Thanks in advance!

Are you familiar with the head structure of a pit viper? You’re sure it’s not one of them?

How about a coral snake? It’s not a viper and needs to chew to inject it’s poison but it’s neorotoxin is equally troubling. Please make sure it doesn’t fall into either category before getting in close proximity to it again.

Can you describe (from a safe distance) the snake for us?

There are always two, a master and an apprentice.

That would be “neurotoxin”.

From here it says:
The rattlesnake and copperhead, both relatively common in northern parts of the State, are the only poisonous reptiles. The great mountain blacksnake, entirely harmless, attains a length of eleven feet. Among the handsomest of New Jersey snakes are the yellow and brown-banded king-snake, and the pine snake, with a whitish body marked with brown black- margined blotches. As the name implies, it is a native of the pine barrens.

Course, there’s always the chance someone’s nonindigenous venomous pet has run amock.

Color? Stripes? Banding? Shape of head?

I didn’t get a really good look at it. I think that it has white squarish markings on its back, with brown at the sides.

Should I bring it to the county extension office?

The best snake is a “dead snake”!

RUN! SCREAM LIKE A GIRL! FLAIL YOUR ARMS AND GO ‘AIEEE’!

Oh wait, that’s what I’d do. Snakes only scare me when I don’t KNOW they’re there though.

Okay, I got a good look at it.

It has a wide gray stripe down its back.
At the sides of the gray stripe are tiny black triangular dots.
On either side of the gray stripe, it is dark brown, fading to a lighter brown at the sides of the snake.

Its head is not wide. It is about as narrow as its “neck.”
The head has a dark brown marking on the top of it. The marking is split by a narrow line of gray.

He’s a handsome little bugger.

It’s either a harmless grass snake, or a lethal cottonmouth. How long is it?

It’s no more than 12 inches long.

My husband just got home and took a look at it. He said “Awww! It’s just a little bug-eating garden snake!” I would like to know exactly what variety of snake it is in any case. I’m geeky like that.

I named him Alfonso.

That’s what I did when I found the first snake.

My brother happened to be around. I ran in the house screaming “A snake! A snake!” My brother came out and looked at it and said, “Yes, it’s a snake.” Gee thanks. Then the snake just slithered away.

Why don’t you break out your digital cam and take a pic of it?

Does it look like this?

Aha! Here… this fits your description exactly… maybe?

Or this?

They’re very common, anyway. And harmless… sort of. They do bite, but they have no teeth, just raspy things. They’re good to have in the garden.

Lieu’s second link is Alfonso!

*Northern Brown Snake (Storeria dekayi)
…The brown snake can be found in urban areas and it exists in “colonies” in large numbers. You will be able to find these snakes under old bark slabs, strips of linoleum and tar paper. *

Yup. He was under a log, so that fits with the description of these snakes under things. And I am in an “urban” area. The thought that they might be around in large numbers is a bit scary!

So, can I keep him as a pet?

Semi-related story. I grew up in an small town that was halfway between Camp Lejeune Marine base and Cherry Point Naval Air Station in North Carolina. Because it was convenient to commute, a lot of Marines lived there. Sometimes the Marines would all be gone at the same time so an entire block of houses would be inhabited only by Marine wives.
One day one of the Marine wives was mowing her lawn and discovered a snake. ** All** of the Marine wives gathered to help kill the snake. The poor snake which had already been wounded by the lawn mower ended up being killed with a hoe - being killed with a shot gun and being killed with a gallon of burning gasoline.

• You can but you shouldn’t. Small snakes like this eat insects, but to stay healthy they need a variety of different insects, not just the same one or two kinds all the time. It is very difficult for most people to supply that year-round.
        Let it go.
        ~

Seems like you’d be doing both you and the snake a favor by turning him loose again in your yard. His diet is almost entirely garden pests (plus a few non-pest insects, I’m sure). Protect those tomatoes! Set Alfonso after all who would eat your garden growings!