Directory of reputable children's charities?

I could be coming into a small amount of money I would like to donate to a children’s charity. However, I know little about such organizations.

Is there a directory or guide to reputable children’s charities?

Thanks.

Charity Navigator looks pretty handy.

My daughter has MD and we frequent the Texas Children’s Hospital in Dallas and Scottish Rite. I know first hand what good they do. The MDA is questionable in my opinion. They’ve done a lot of research but other than free wheel chairs, t-shirts, summer camp and the annual rodeo, there’s not much else. I guess I’m just disappointed. :frowning:
Although my wife (she has it too) and daughter attend the telethons every year and do several other charity drives for them. Hopefully, they (the MDA) will actually start curing some of these things. They have claimed for years that they are right on the brink.

My son has been in the Boy Scouts since he was a tiger cub(5yrs old). Excellent non-profit organization to benefit our youth. He’s soon to be 14 and is working on his eagle. They have done many things for the community and abroad. He sells hotdogs for the Children’s Miracle Network a few times a year. He also does Labor of Love one weekend a month, building/repairing houses and picks up trash off the roadside and parks.
Make A Wish Foundation is another we’ve worked with that does some really good stuff.

You might want to check with your local city manager or community board…
It’s nice to know the proceeds are doing something good. So many do nothing but pay the folks who run the “charities”. If nothing else go spend it on winter coats to give away or fans for the summer heat or Christmas presents or food etc…there’s so many things you can do directly.

Peace :slight_smile: