NYCDope Gathering: In Honor of Manhattan (the soon to be former mod)

It’s the end of an era! Manhattan, long a fearless leader of the Teeming Millions, is stepping down from his moderating duties in GQ. Let’s face it, the guy has other demands on his time and he has shouldered more than his fair share of the burden of the fight against ignorance.

Let us join together to thank him for his years of service, and to buy him many drinks, and to write songs singing his praises that will be sung by our children’s children. We will quite possibly have some more drinks after that.

Date: Thursday, September 4
Time: 7:00 PM

Activities will include: thinking of words that end in -gry, bar dancing, witnessing, composing BBQ Pit threads about Manhattan in pig latin, and spankings (if we’re lucky). Jackbooted thug costumes are optional.

Please post if you are able to attend!

A Thursday, del? I seriously doubt we can do it, but I will thanks for all the bannings to Manny.

I can’t make a Thursday; I’m starting class the day before & have a Friday class at 10:00 AM. Wish I could be there!

Yeesh, we always seem to have a quandry posed by the Thursday night for New Yorkers who leave the city on weekends vs. the Friday night for New Yorkers who come into the city on weekends – I’m sure we’ll have a Friday thing soon so we can catch up with the Greater NY area folks as well.

I’ve never commited to anything local and not shown up, so hence: Count me in - It’s carved into next months calendar. Cosmo, I’ll drink a LawnGuyLand Ice Tea in your honor (which is saying alot cuz I despise the taste of them).

Aren’t you people supposed to be on your way to the SI Yankee game?

I’ll be there, Delphica.

I don’t think anything should be done until we find the extra dollar.

Think we can make Manny swear? You know, force him?

I’m there.

There are no extra dollars because we used them all to tip the bartender lady at the Patriot.

(Excellent addition to the list, btw!)

I can’t make it up to NYC, but I cannot think of anybody who more richly deserves [strike]roasting[/strike] honoring for his services to this board.

Perhaps in his honor you could discuss file sharing programs? :wink:

[/SIZE]

How selfless of you! Just imagine if I were there: You’d have to drink two 'cause I’m not allowed to drink right now!

Fricking coding.

So, if I was to go all the way to Nyawk Nyawk, to be in Manhattan for Manhattan, is there any possibility of finding a place to sleep off the celebration before coming home? How far is it from the train Station to this bar? Can I walk it sober? Can I walk it drunk?

Tris

The bar’s about a block from the subway which will take you to Penn station (which is about two miles away from the bar, a goodly hike.)

No thread (not even one in MPSIMS) is complete until you see the customary: Cite.

Mile	Instruction	For                 Summary:  3.1 miles 
0.0	Depart Amtrak - New York- Penn Station on Local road(s) (South)	76 yds
0.1	Turn RIGHT (West) onto W 31st St [Joe Louis Plz]	0.1 mi
0.2	Continue (West) on (W) 31st St	0.2 mi
0.3	Turn LEFT (South) onto 9th Ave	0.8 mi
1.2	Bear LEFT (South) onto Hudson St	0.3 mi
1.4	Bear LEFT (East) onto Bethune St	21 yds
1.4	Bear RIGHT (South) onto Bleecker St	0.3 mi
1.8	Bear RIGHT (South) onto 7th Ave S	0.2 mi
2.0	Continue (South) on Varick St	0.7 mi
2.7	Continue (South) on W Broadway	0.3 mi
3.0	Turn LEFT (East) onto Chambers St	98 yds
3.1	Arrive 110 Chambers St, Manhattan, NY 10007 [110 Chambers St, Manhattan, NY 10007]

Now, if someone will cut and paste the dictionary definition of ‘moderator’ I, for one, will consider this thread complete.

as much as i’m not a doper (i’m not! really! i swear!), manny rocks so much that i might just be willing to pretend that i am one for a night and show up. seems quite probable. :smiley:

Hey, I know none of you, but I’ll probably show anyway. And that’s no jackbooted thug costume, that’s how I dress. So when the guy in the Bon Jovi t-shirt shows up, pretend like you know him and be nice to him, because he’s me.

If this were on the weekend, I’d Amtrak my way on up there for the festivities. C’est la vie. Throw manny a great party, y’all!

Ooohh… I likes me some jackbooted thugs. Damn my “The English Novel in the 19th Century” class!

Chambers Street? Chambers Street? Where the hell is that? Is it in the scary part of town, away from all the numbers? Where streets bend and curve and intersect themselves? I need my streets to have numbers, dammit.