The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > In My Humble Opinion (IMHO)

Old 08-28-2003, 10:39 AM

The - I Haven't Been to Class All Semester - Dream

It seems that this is a fairly common recurring dream that folks have.

It's the end of the semester (or school year), finals time, and you haven't been to a particular class for quite some time, perhaps at all...anxiety ensues.

What does this represent?
Advertisements  
Old 08-28-2003, 11:00 AM

G'day

A couple of times I have actually missed a whole semester of classes. That's what you get with bipolar disorder. My results those semesters weren't up to my usual standard.

Regards,

Agback
Old 08-28-2003, 11:09 AM
Charter Member

I don't know what it represents, but I have a co-worker from India, and she says that she has had those dreams, too.
Old 08-28-2003, 11:13 AM
Charter Member

I used to have that one all the time. I believe it's as you described: an expression of waking anxiety by your subconscious. I have that dream when I'm stressed. Alternately, I have a dream about being back in the military or driving my Jeep through some particularly harrowing countryside. Same root cause, different realization.
Old 08-28-2003, 11:14 AM

I once stumbled upon an article (it may have been in Psychology Today) that had an explanation of this phenomenon.

I'll be damned if I remember anything about it. I really hope someone comes up with a link.

I get a variation on this dream where I'm in high school, the bell is ringing to start the next period, and I'm standing at my locker vapor-locked because I cannot remember the combination to my locker.
Old 08-28-2003, 11:17 AM

I'm 36 and I still have this dream. I had the "showing up at work with no clothes on" dream a few months back. First time for that.
Old 08-28-2003, 11:43 AM

The best part about having this dream after you have graduated is waking up and then realizing you never have to take a final exam again.
Old 08-28-2003, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by SmackFu
The best part about having this dream after you have graduated is waking up and then realizing you never have to take a final exam again.
YES! Hurrah!
I just had my same reoccuring dream last night. It's either I failed high school english and I have to take it again to graduate or I show up for the final for linear algebra but I haven't been there all semester.

I think it does have to do with some underlying anxiety or something you feel is unfinished business.

For me, I had decided to put off graduate school and now I am in a career (completely different than what I thought I would be doing) & married, etc... and so it's not easy for me to make the shift back to school.
Old 08-28-2003, 07:05 PM
Charter Member

I have this nightmare. Either I forgot to drop calculus and must learn calculus overnight and get an A on the exam to pass, or it's a history class I forgot I'd signed up for and much write a research paper and don't even have a topic. I think the last time I had the latter, in the dream it was a Hawaiian history class, and I started to cook up some half-assed thesis about the surf shops in Santa Barbara's appropriation of Hawaiian culture somehow being analogous to the fact that there aren't any real parrots in Hawai'i. . . and the library I was trying to use was arranged by some utterly different cataloguing system and spread out over a bunch of narrow carpeted split level floors with odd stairways tucked here and there. Typical dream wierdness.
Old 08-28-2003, 07:17 PM

I have that stinking dream all too often! If I'd known that 19 years after graduating I'd still be dreaming about missing class, I would never have cut a single class. Never.
Old 08-28-2003, 07:58 PM

It happens to me occasionally and the last time I was in any class was 1979.

The one I love is the one where you start walking and the steps get longer and longer until you can hold yourself in the air indefinitely and then it's just like flying.

But the never been to class all semester is a true bummer.
Old 08-28-2003, 08:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Zeldar
The one I love is the one where you start walking and the steps get longer and longer until you can hold yourself in the air indefinitely and then it's just like flying.
Yep. I've never flown like Superman in a dream, but I done some serious "skimming" many, many times. I'll give a good push off with a foot, and I go just a-skimming a foot or so above the ground.

Sometimes, when I feel myself losing "altitude," I'll spread my arms out and trail my legs behind to get that last little bit of "lift" and skim just a little more.
Old 08-28-2003, 08:40 PM

I had that dream often. I call it the "lost class dream". I stopped having it when I was about 25.

My recurring nightmares included:

"Naked School Day"; 7-12 years old.
"Where's My Penis?": 12-15 years old.
"The Lost Class" 15-25 years old.

Other than the 'falling' right after dozing off, I don't really remember many dreams.
Old 08-28-2003, 09:47 PM

I have this dream all the time....I hate it! Another similar dream
is that I'm back in high school and it's time for class but I can't
remember the combination to my locker and I stand there trying
to remember while everyone else goes to class. Weird.
Old 08-28-2003, 10:07 PM

I'm a Junior in HS right now, and I almost every other night, I have a dream that I either wake up late, or I'm screwing around, or whatever, but I'm going to be late for school. School starts at 8:05 and in the dreams, my clock is always at like 7:59 and I have to get dressed and drive to school, etc in 6 minutes. And I never make it either. But I always wake up with my heart pounding, feeling like I'm going to puke.

I've always found this dream to be strange though, as I wouldn't really be freaking out if I was late for school. I mean, it's not that big of a deal, but in my dream, I just have to get there before the bell rings. So I'm thinking that it must represent something bigger than school...
Old 08-28-2003, 10:23 PM

G'day

Another of my class-related recurring dreams is that there has been an administrative error, and I have to go back and take a class in something absolutely trivial in high school or even primary school or They are going to cancel my Higher School Certificate, which will make my degree invalid. So there I am back in junior high or even primary school, surrounded by munchkins and studying trigonometry or being told how to hold a pencil.

Do other people get that one? Or is it perhaps a recollection of the fact that at one stage the Department of Education was trying to insist that I repeat 6th grade because I skipped over 3rd grade?

Regards,

Agback
Old 08-28-2003, 10:31 PM
Charter Member

I still have the "didn't go to class" dream more than 20 years after getting my BS.

I had an actual experience that was the opposite. I went to class all semester and then missed the final exam. Somehow I missed the fact that the prof decided to have the exam on the last day of class instead of the scheduled exam week date, and I missed the last day to do a job interview (last semester before I graduated). I called the prof when I couldn't find the exam, and he wouldn't budge. He flunked me. It was a free elective but I needed the stinkin' 3 credits to graduate.
Old 08-28-2003, 10:37 PM
Charter Member

I've had that dream and fairly recently, and I graduated college in 1950, with my last formal schooling in 1963.

I've also had dreams where I had a job and had no idea whatever that I was supposed to do.

Or I'm supposed to take a plane without knowing what airline, flight or sometimes even what airport.

I wish you hadn't started this. I'm getting scared.

Talk about a lost sheep in the tall weeds.
Old 08-28-2003, 10:48 PM

Related to the High School Locker one -- the bell has rung to start the next class, and I cannot remember which class is next and where it's located.

If that is puzzling, my HS 'rotated' classes, to avoid having the same class get the afterlunch slump each day. So one day class order as ABCDEFG, the next AGBCDEF, then AFGBCDE and so on.

In my dream I was out sick for a while, so I don't know what yesterday's schedule was, thus I don't know what today's is.

If the 'elaborate' mode, I go to the principal's office to get a copy of my schedule, but then don't remember what my name is.
Old 08-28-2003, 11:02 PM

[hijack]
OK, who has had (or can explain) this one that I have once or twice a month:

I am sitting reading a book, magazine or newspaper, either out loud or with such concentration and vividness that it seems I can actually hear my words, sort of like vocalizing them before pronouncement. What I hear is frequently something of a current event nature and makes absolute sense as I hear/read it, and yet it all is apparently being made up out of my psyche more or less ad lib. I usually become self-aware that this is a dream and try, but am not successful in figuring out how/why I have the details so spot-on. When I wake up I can remember nothing of the story I have been reading, although at the time everything was crystal clear.
[/hijack]
Old 08-29-2003, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by luvtinayothers
I have this dream all the time....I hate it! Another similar dream
is that I'm back in high school and it's time for class but I can't
remember the combination to my locker and I stand there trying
to remember while everyone else goes to class. Weird.
Yep, I have the "didn't attend class" and "can't remember my locker combination" dreams, too. Other similar dreams:

- First day of school and I can't find either my class list or the list telling me where the classrooms are located

- Have to pack for a trip but can't find my suitcases

- Need to catch a plane, but can't find where my car is parked

- I'm leaving for a business trip in 5 minutes and for some reason haven't begun to pack yet

And yes, it sure feels good when you wake up and realize it was just a dream...
Old 08-29-2003, 12:53 AM
Charter Member

It is sort of comforting to know that other people have this too. I have these dreams far too often for my liking, and it is YEARS since I ever darkened the door of a school or university.

And, like []bRedDawg[/b] I often find I am reading a book in my dream and it is SO annoying when I wake up and cannot go on reading the wonderful, but sadly non-existent book.
Old 08-29-2003, 12:55 AM

I just finished Tom Robbins' latest book "Villa Incognito" One of the main characters wakes up one morning, very happy... He droppped out of Dream School. Instead of going through the nightmare, in his dream, he turned and walked out the front door. Directed dreaming, anyone?
Old 08-29-2003, 05:48 AM

I have a question: Has this happened to anyone who didn't care about classes at all?
I personally did care about my classes (when I had them), and would check the exam schedule at least 3 times checking the dates. I have had the "day of the final and I didn't even know I was signed up" dream, which I can't help but think was related to my paranoia.

I imagine Celyn and RedDawgEsq really like reading; on an only slightly related note, I enjoy fixing hardware (some people discard the coolest things 'cause of one bad wire). I used to have this really annoying dream where I ended up with piles of scrounged treasure, only to have it vaporize upon waking.

Can't say I've had the popular "at work and I'm naked" dream... but then I don't really care about my wardrobe. Is anyone with this particular dream recurring on them a slave to fashion?
Old 08-29-2003, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by syncrolecyne

My recurring nightmares included:

"Naked School Day"; 7-12 years old.
"Where's My Penis?": 12-15 years old.
"The Lost Class" 15-25 years old.
Ah yes, which of us can honestly say they've never had the ever popular "Where's My Penis?" dream...?
Old 08-29-2003, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by hammos1
Ah yes, which of us can honestly say they've never had the ever popular "Where's My Penis?" dream...?
I believe about half the population!
Old 08-29-2003, 08:16 AM

Not going to call all semester? That wasn't a dream, it was reality. The classes were of the basic intro sort (Basic Programming, Macro-Econ) and I already knew that stuff so I didn't bother to show up.

I get the sexual frustrating dream occasionally. You know, where you're minding your own business and a hot woman (or man, for the ladies) starts hitting on you and wanting to go to a more intimate place. Just when you get to start having an "encounter" with her, you wake up. Man I hate that dream.
Old 08-29-2003, 08:24 AM

Isn't it amazing how much we all must hate ourselves? Because that seems the common theme to these dreams: I am an idiot!
Old 08-29-2003, 08:33 AM

I have a similar dream but instead of not being prepared for an exam it's that I arrive on the last day of class after not being there the entire semester and the big term paper/report/project is due and I have nothing to turn in.
And yes I never can seem to remember my locker combination (hell, its been 15 years!)
Old 08-29-2003, 08:41 AM
Charter Member

I also still have the "I forgot to drop the class, but if I learn all the material tonight and get an A on the final tomorrow, I can still pass" dream. I also have a variant where it is discovered that I never passed HS government (not true in waking life, but it's always the same class for some reason), and they're going to take away my HS diploma, which means they're going to take away my BS, which means they're going to take away my PhD. I can prevent all this by moving in with my parents and retaking government, except that I can't seem to get myself to wake up early enough in the mornings to actually get to class.
Old 08-29-2003, 08:48 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally posted by SmackFu
In my version of the dream I find myself (the current version of myself, not my college-aged self) back in college, seemingly needing to pass one more class in order to graduate because someone had figured out that I never really graudated all those years ago. In the beginning, I'm dismayed and all seems hopeless. But soon I realize (while still dreaming) that I did in fact graduate and I don't really need to be there. So I get up and leave. It's always such a relief.

Does anyone have the one where you can lift yourself a few inches off the ground and float around? That one's a bummer because I wake up thinking, "There's no reason why I can't do that in real life." Then I can't.
Old 08-29-2003, 08:55 AM

I've had most of the above dreams.

And another one in addition--in which I'm just walking around, and suddenly, people around me are like, "come on, it's time!" and all of a sudden, I'm in a play. I vaguely remember at that moment having agreed to be in a play, but I completely neglected to go to any rehearsals.

I have no idea what the lines are or what anyone else is even talking about.

But there are two versions of the dream--one where just a bunch of frustrating stuff happens, and rarely, I have one where everything goes miraculously right! (But I still don't feel too good about it.)

-Kris
Old 08-29-2003, 09:38 AM

The OP's dream reflects anxiety about being unprepared or being judged for not following a route that others expect him/her to take.
Old 08-29-2003, 10:07 AM

I've had dreams where I find myself back in school and the people there are a combination of people that I attended with at various levels of education (some people are from my elem. and middle school days, some are from my HS days, and some are from my college days). As a result, I have a hard time figuring out what level of schooling I'm supposed to be at, so I go around asking people what grade I'm in, but no one seems to know.

Other dreams I have quite frequently are where I am working to translate something, or-- as I'm a newspaper editor-- lay out a page, but none of the photos and stories seem to fit right. I usually wake up all tense, with a headache, and feeling more tired than when I went to bed.

Happy
Old 08-29-2003, 10:34 AM

Honestly, I had never heard of the "where's my penis?" dream before reading the above posts. And yes, I'm male.

I wasn't familiar with the one about forgetting the locker combination either. Then again, 29 years after graduation, I still remember mine.

On the other hand, I have had the one about suddenly remembering I'm in a class that I haven't attended all semester many, many times. In particular I dream that I am still in night law school, taking three classes a semester. One I am well prepared in. One needs some intensive study. And the third I have to learn overnight. Interestingly, I never seem to recall what the classes were later. More interesting still, I never seem to have had this dream until after I graduated law school.

I interpret it as being about anxieties about whether I am attending to my future properly; it seems to say that I am confident that I am handling my life well in some aspects, but fear that I am unprepared in other respects.

My most recurrent dream is one I haven't noticed mentioned. I had it starting in childhood and recall having it until about ten years ago (I'm 47). Each time the dream was different in terms of setting, duration, etc., yet each time the pattern was the same: I would realize I was dreaming, then wake up. Then I would realize I was dreaming, and wake up, then I would expend a great deal of effort, feeling all more anxious all the while, as I tried to reason whether I was asleep or awake. Sometimes I would wake in my childhood home, encounter members of my family as they appeared when I was a child, and try to explain to them my dilemma. Usually they'd just laugh. It seems that sometimes I would "wake up" two or three times, and sometimes more than a dozen.

Eventually I developed a technique for dealing with this. Sometimes I would recall the technique and it would spare me any further anxiety. Other times I was incapable of remembering it and would stay locked in a cycle of recurrent awakenings.

The technique consisted of trying to float; I would tip forward until I would have to fall flat on my face, yet instead the tips of my toes would lift gently off of the ground and rise, until I was hovering over the ground at a height of about three or four feet. I could then fly, but usually only very slowly, like a gliding blimp.
Once I did this I would feel reassured that I was only dreaming, and even seem to be able to take control of events. I have found this technique to be a great comfort in other types of dreams as well when I have been rational enough to remember and use it.
Old 08-29-2003, 10:55 AM

I've had the pear dream again.
Old 08-29-2003, 11:21 AM

Add me to the list.

I'm walking around on my HS campus and the bell rings, but I have no clue where my next class is. Then I realize that I haven't been to this class all semester, so I stress out trying to figure out how I'm going to explain to my teacher where I've been all year.

It's funny, back in HS, I was never late to any of my classes... yet, I wasn't the best student, nor did I care too much about school in general... yet I have these dreams.

It's just very odd just how universal this dream is.

One interesting note about my dreams: Over the past 5 or 6 years, I've been able to control my dreams. When I was younger, I used to dream that I was being chased by monsters (or some sort of "bad thing") and I would get caught and feel pain and all that stuff... but now, I'm able to realize that I am dreaming, and I can now stand up to the "bad thing" and defeat it... or fly away. It's pretty cool.

But I still have that damn "school" dream.
Old 08-29-2003, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Zeldar

But the never been to class all semester is a true bummer.
Yes, I love that one, too! I have woken up a few times & thought for a good ten minutes "Wow, I really can fly!" It takes a long time to wake up.

Other reoccuring dreams:
The falling dream.
The being chased dream.
The wrestling with an alligator or savage dog dream.
The I must drive my car on the highway from an aerial view & by remote control.
The I've wrecked my car dream.

All of the above are from anxiety during waking hours. I love the shopping, sex, and antique shop dreams.
Old 08-29-2003, 12:32 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Wow, I thought I was the only person who had "I've Forgotten To Go To Class For Three Months" dream, where I suddenly realize I totally forgot Class so-and-so was on my timetable. I get that all the time.

I also get nakedness dreams, but never pertaining to work, it seems.
Old 08-29-2003, 12:56 PM
Charter Member

After reading the posting by CookingWithGas, the reason for these recurring dreams of failing classes is quite simple. Too many instructors, teachers, professors, etc are too damned inflexible, difficult ............. okay they can be downright jerks. It seems that the fears and anxieties they instilled in us remain with us perhaps for the rest of our lives.

On a similar note, although I have quit smoking, occassionally, I have dreams where I am smoking and feel really disappointed because I've gone back. I might have 1 of these per month. The shocking thing is that I quit smoking 25 years ago !!

Maybe those 2 stories give you an idea about the power of 1) nasty professors and 2) nicotine addiction.
Old 08-29-2003, 01:23 PM

Yes, I still get that one occasionally, roughly once a month or so. Of course, I also almost missed an exam once (not a final). The professor was in the habit of giving midterm exams at strange times, so as not to take up time in the regularly scheduled lecture hours. One evening I was having dinner with some friends and realized I had to take an exam [b]RIGHT NOW[\b]. I arrived about 40 minutes late, but the professor let me take the whole thing, fortunately.

The past is still present in the future.
Old 08-29-2003, 01:40 PM

My most common reoccurring nightmare is the "forgotten class" dream, and I've been out of college for two years now. I had no idea that this dream was so common. I've also had the "forgotten locker combination" and the "late for class but can't find my classroom/forgot my schedule" dream.

They all seem to fall under the same general category: "a lack of proper organization or preparedness results in serious negative consequences and/or embarrassment". Since I'm a very organized and detail-oriented person who always showed up for class and cared very much about my grades, I can't help but wonder if the other sufferers of this sort of dream fit a similar personality mold.
Old 08-29-2003, 01:48 PM

It just occured to me that another dream I have had from time to time is similar to the "forgotten class" dream; I dream I've forgotten where I put my mother. It suddenly occurs to me that I haven't visited my mother in the longest time, and that I can't remember what nursing home she is in.

When I awake and I recall that my mother is deceased, that it was I who put her in a nursing home, and that I was the only one of her children who visited her regularly, I feel tremendous relief.

I too have dreams about wrecking my car. In some the car wrecks itself; it's as though the front wheels lock up, and the car lurches forward, parts flying everywhere as it simply falls apart.
Old 08-29-2003, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Frylock
I've had most of the above dreams.

And another one in addition--in which I'm just walking around, and suddenly, people around me are like, "come on, it's time!" and all of a sudden, I'm in a play. I vaguely remember at that moment having agreed to be in a play, but I completely neglected to go to any rehearsals.

I have no idea what the lines are or what anyone else is even talking about.
I have one like that but it's Marching Band. We're just about to step out onto the field for the big half-time show and I have my flute but no music. When I express my panic to someone else in the band, they say, "Music? We don't need music. We've got it memorized!" AAAARRRGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!
Old 08-29-2003, 02:28 PM

I'm male and I never had the lost penis dream, nor the locker combination one.

However, the 'suddenly remembering I'm in a class I haven't been to all semster and it's past drop date so I must study like crazy' dream, I had ALLLLLLL the time.

It was almost always English comp. No big surprise if you read my posts.

Like another poster, I never had that dream until after I graduated. It then plagued me for 10+years. So much so that it was irritating.

FYI, I used to teach College and 1-2 times per year I would have a student come into my office and tell me they forgot to drop the class. They would beg me. I was always very lenient about this if they hadn't been to class since the first couple of weeks. I didn't have the power to drop them but I could give an incomplete. This gave them a year to retake it before it was automatically turned into an F.

So people do have that experience in RL.

I was also a real nice prof. I would actually CALL my non-attending students 1-2 days before drop cutoff date and inform them they were still in my class. Have you ever had a college prof. do that for you? Hmmmm?
Old 08-29-2003, 06:10 PM

Well not so much lost as severed and reattatched...

Old 08-29-2003, 08:38 PM
Charter Member

Andymurph64
You are to be congratulated for such an understanding attitude.

If you scroll up to the CookinWithGas posting, that professor was a little bit stricter. All right - he was a s**thead !!
Old 08-30-2003, 07:18 PM

I've had plenty of "lost class" dreams. Sometimes it takes this twist - I have to go back to college to make up some forgotten class in order to keep my degree. But when I go back, I am at my current age, but all my college buddies are there like the day I left. I realize that I have a substantial bank account (compared to when I was in school) and my only responsibility is that one class. PARTY TIME!

I'm very disapointed to wake up.

Another recurring dream that has almost the same feeling of anxiety. I'm flying an airplane (I'm a recreational pilot) and suddenly I realize that I'm smack in the middle of some heavily controlled airspace (like over Chicago or New York) but I have no clearance - don't even have the radio on!

This one usually wakes me up before I can do anything.
Old 08-30-2003, 08:27 PM

Fifth Class Dreams

That's what I always called them. In college and for a few years after I had them regularly - like at least once a week.

This week I had one again for the first time in about five years - so I'm really excited to see this thread. I thought it was just me, since none of my friends had them.
Old 08-30-2003, 11:03 PM
Charter Member

Wow, I'm amazed to find all you other people having the same dream about forgetting about the class until the last day of the semester. I've had that a bunch of times, but didn't know so many others have too. And the basic details remain so similar across such a big number of people. Something universal is going on here.

In "Talkin' World War III Blues", Bob Dylan sang:

Well, now time passed and now it seems
Everybody's having them dreams.

But what about a people that don't go to school? How would this universal dream play out for them?

Think of Ook, a caveman who lived 23,000 years ago. One night he dreams that he is the main tracker on a big mammoth hunt. The rest of the band has followed him for weeks on the trail of a mammoth. But he suddenly realizes to his horror that he had totally neglected to actually find any mammoth tracks all along. Now what is he going to do? His wife, Igga, shakes him awake. "Ook cry out in sleep. What wrong?" "Uhh... only bad dream. Ook glad wake up!"