The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Great Debates

Old 09-18-2003, 06:33 PM
BANNED

What does the Koran explicitly say about homosexuality?

What exactly does the Koran say about homosexuality? Is it explicitly forbidden? If it is explicitly forbidden, what penalty or penalties does it prescribe? Would Muslims in general support laws designed to suppress homosexuality?

I know nothing about this subject, and therefore I may not respond in this thread beyond my original post. In the context of this thread, I am not taking any specific position about either homosexuality or about Muslim attitudes about homosexuality. I merely wish to learn.

To any Muslims who may respond, please understand that all I want, in the context of this thread, is to understand Muslim teachings and attitudes about homosexuality. More specifically, I am very much interested in learning how homosexuals should be treated in terms of Islamic doctrine based on the Koran.

Aldebaran, I'm waitin' to hear from ya!!!
Advertisements  
Old 09-18-2003, 07:28 PM

I googled "islam homosexuality" and this was the first hit: http://www.religioustolerance.org/hom_isla.htm

From the Qur'an:

Quote:
We also sent Lut : He said to his people : "Do ye commit lewdness such as no people in creation (ever) committed before you? For ye practice your lusts on men in preference to women: ye are indeed a people transgressing beyond bounds." Qur'an 7:80-81
"Lut" is Lot.

Quote:
What! Of all creatures do ye come unto the males, and leave the wives your Lord created for you? Nay, but ye are forward folk. Qur'an 26:165
From the Hadith:

Quote:
When a man mounts another man, the throne of God shakes.
Quote:
Kill the one that is doing it and also kill the one that it is being done to.
The muslim view of homosexuality is similar to the orthodox christian view - it's a sin. I think the only difference is that islam believes that homosexuality started with Sodom and Gomorrah, it didn't exist before that. Whereas christianity and judaism think it existed before Sodom.

Not sure what the debate is here though.
Old 09-18-2003, 07:49 PM

I should also quote this, from that link, for the sake of completeness:

Quote:
According to a pamphlet produced by Al-Fatiha, there is a consensus among Islamic scholars that all humans are naturally heterosexual. Homosexuality is seen by scholars to be a sinful and perverted deviation from the norm. All Islamic schools of thought and jurisprudence consider gay acts to be unlawful. They differ in terms of penalty:

- The Hanafite school (currently seen mainly in South and Eastern Asia) teaches that no physical punishment is warranted.

- The Hanabalites, (widely followed in the Arab world) teach that severe punishment is warranted

- The Sha'fi school of thought (also seen in the Arab world) requires a minimum of 4 adult male witnesses before a person can be found guilty of a homosexual act.
Old 09-18-2003, 08:00 PM
Charter Member

And to clarify the distinction of the sources in Jojo's first post: the Hadith is the compilation of sayings and deeds of the Prophet, used as a source of much Islamic law and tradition, but not attributed direct heavenly authorship as is the Qur'an.
Old 09-18-2003, 08:36 PM

Sounds to me like the Prophet was cribbing from Leviticus...
Old 09-18-2003, 08:37 PM
I Am the One Who Bans

That makes sense, since the Old and New Testament are still significant books to Islam as far as I know.
Old 09-18-2003, 09:29 PM

Only the law of Moses as Moses was a prophet. They differ on a lot after that.
Old 09-18-2003, 09:47 PM

"- The Sha'fi school of thought (also seen in the Arab world) requires a minimum of 4 adult male witnesses before a person can be found guilty of a homosexual act."

How do you get 4 witnesses to
Old 09-18-2003, 09:50 PM

Sorry... clicked wrong button...

How do you get 4 adult male witnesses to a homosexual act ? Like 4 reputable witness suddenly jump into your house while you are at it ?

From what I heard... stoning and/or death penalty for the sodomites is the punishment... true ?
Old 09-18-2003, 10:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rashak Mani

How do you get 4 adult male witnesses to a homosexual act ? Like 4 reputable witness suddenly jump into your house while you are at it ?
Or it is a live sex show.

The four witnesses thing derives from the view that committing a homosexual act is the same as committing an act of adultery and four eyewitnesses is the standard of proof for adultery ( to simplify - there are exceptions ). In normal circumstances it should therefore be a very hard charge to make stick ( and lodging a false accusation of adultery is itself a serious offense ). However in practice, such rigorous proofs are not always adhered too.

Quote:
From what I heard... stoning and/or death penalty for the sodomites is the punishment... true ?
As Jojo's quote above shows, it varies ( just as some Muslims insist stoning is the mandated punishment for adultery, but others disagree, varying on how much credence they give certain hadith ).

- Tamerlane
Old 09-19-2003, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Svt4Him
Only the law of Moses as Moses was a prophet. They differ on a lot after that.
The prophets, according to Islam, are Adam, Enoch (sometimes), Hud, Salih, Shuaib, Huzlah Ibn Safwan, Noah, Abraham, Lot, Ishmael, Isaac, Jacob, Moses, Isaiah, Luqman, Joseph (with the coat), David, Solomon, Elijah, Elisha, Job, Jonah, Ezekiel, Jeremiah, Daniel, Zachariah (the father of John the Baptist), John (the Baptist), Jesus, and Mohammed.

I might be missing a few.