The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > General Questions

Old 11-08-2003, 08:28 PM
Charter Member

Does a rattlesnake really smell like watermelon?

An old friend of mine was a hunter and a top-notch trap shooter. I'm a city feller with very little woods sense. When he'd spin his tales of deer, rabbits, squirrels, and coyotes, I really had no reason to doubt what he said. He once told me, "If you're walking along, and you suddenly smell watermelon, stop in your tracks. Look around, and listen for a rattlesnake." I'd never seen a rattlesnake outside of a zoo, but I filed that away.

Well, the last time I saw old Dan, he was about to retire. It was late 1999, and he laid a bunch of paranoia on me about stockpiling guns, the impending UN takeover, and running the highways backwards. "Ye cats," I thought, "my old friend has gone off the rails." It made me very sad, and I didn't think until much later that the hunter's lore might have been just as crazy.

So, tell me. Does a rattlesnake smell like watermelon?
Advertisements  
Old 11-08-2003, 08:35 PM

Of course they do, all members of the animal kingdom smell like a fruit. Frogs, lime. Koalas, kiwi. Penguins, banana. Antelopes, apple. Unicorns, pomegranate. And so on.
Old 11-08-2003, 08:55 PM
Charter Member

Re: Does a rattlesnake really smell like watermelon?

Quote:
Originally posted by AskNott

So, tell me. Does a rattlesnake smell like watermelon?
No.

Rattlesnakes ( and I've had my hands on a few ) smell like rattlesnakes, which is not even remotely close to watermelon. It's a slightly musky odor, actually.

- Tamerlane
Old 11-08-2003, 08:59 PM
Charter Member

Oh and the odds of smelling a rattlesnake before you hear one is probably close to nil, unless you come across a den full of estivating animals. They don't generally stink that strongly as individuals unless you are up close.

- Tamerlane
Old 11-08-2003, 11:02 PM

When I was about seven or eight years old a young friend of mine told me that if you smell watermelon to be careful, there is a snake close by. I have never in over fifty years heard anything else about it until your post. At least I know she wasn't just making that up to scare me.

I would trust those who have handled snakes to know the truth though.

Blackdragon, I was taking your answer perfectly seriously until I got to the last one. Unicorns really smell like casabas. The uninitiated are told that they smell like pomegranate before they take part in the Great March of the Celestial Virgins. You do know about the march, don't you?
Old 11-08-2003, 11:05 PM
Charter Member

No, they don't smell anything like watermelon. However, when left to their own ground, rattlesnakes like to get together for Midori daiquiris, and at such times there is a definite melon scent to the air.
Old 11-08-2003, 11:11 PM
Charter Member

No, they don't smell anything like watermelon. However, when left to their own ground, rattlesnakes like to get together for Midori daiquiris, and at such times there is a definite melon scent to the air.
Old 11-08-2003, 11:38 PM
BANNED

Well, all the rattlesnakes I have eaten have smelled like, as well as tasted like, chicken.
Old 11-08-2003, 11:45 PM

Maybe they got it confused with rattlesnake watermelons?
(Why are they called that, anyways? Because of the pattern on the rind?)
Old 11-08-2003, 11:57 PM

No, it's because, unlike other watermelons, a rattlesnake watermelon, when left in the sun, will totally desiccate before decomposing, making a cheerful rattle.

100% of FACT.
Old 11-09-2003, 12:04 AM

Please, let's not all rush out and begin sniffing rattlesnakes. Why don't we leave this one to professionals?

Cecil?

Ed?

Hmmmmm.
Old 11-09-2003, 02:00 AM

I once faced down a rattler, and I was in no mood to get close enough to smell it.

In fact, my main goal was to avoid getting that close involuntarily.

I don't recall a smell at all, come to think of it.
Old 11-09-2003, 02:08 AM

- - - Also: as far as IL snakes go, when they "rattle", they don't rattle, they buzz: it souds like a hornet hovering, but louder. The tips of their tails will shake back and forth about a quarter-inch, about as fast as a hummingbird moves its wings--so fast the end of the tail is just a blur.
~
Old 11-09-2003, 05:05 AM

Dunno about rattlesnakes, but Water Moccasins (sp?) most definitely have a musky odor, almost like B.O. or something.
Old 11-09-2003, 06:51 AM

The one time I came across a rattlesnake in the wild, I thought it smelled like sh*t, until I realized that was me I was smelling!
Old 11-09-2003, 08:47 AM

An Arky is correct about the water moccasins (cottonmouth moccasins, a.k.a "stump-tail"). They smell musky to me, though I've heard some people describe it as watermelon odor.[B]
Old 11-09-2003, 11:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nametag
Nametag is my hero.
Old 11-10-2003, 07:51 AM

I was working with a USGS survey team one summer and we unearthed a nest of copperhead young (eggs and some newborns) - the whole area smelled like cucumbers. I don't know if the same would hold true for rattlesnakes or not.
Old 11-10-2003, 08:13 AM

I believe "Smells Like Estivating Rattlesanke" was the original working title for the grunge anthem by Nirvana.
Old 11-10-2003, 11:25 AM

I've shot and cut the heads off several water moccassins before and brought them home either to skin or use in a prank. They do indeed have a musty, dirty smell that reeks of decay. Don't know that it made me think of melons but it twern't real pleasant.

A friend has a couple of rattlers under glass now. Let me check with him and get back to you, although I'd generally tend to give good weight to Tamerlane's opinion.
Old 11-10-2003, 10:17 PM
Charter Member

When old Dan first told me that, I thought I'd want to wear thick boots to harvest watermelons in rattler country.
Old 11-11-2003, 12:55 AM

I've had a few old timers tell me Cooperheads smell like cucumbers. Me and my fathers friend was walking in a field and I caught a hint of cucumbers in the air. About the time i got the words out of my mouth he was running back to the car.
Old 11-11-2003, 02:13 AM

I've handled several rattlesnakes and eaten a few. Also handled plenty of moccasins, copperhead, coral, and others. Wild snakes have a stench that hard to describe. It's not real strong or overpowering unless you get it on your hands. Then it is quite noticable.

If any of you have ever smelled a rotten watermelon in the field. Actually had some on you...you know got a good dose of it. It has a certain stench that could be considered similar. Ripe watermelons smell great, sweet, delicious...fried rattlesnake smells sweet and delicious but not like a watermelon.

The only time I smelled watermelons and saw a snake was when I used to haul watermelons as a kid. Snakes like to hang out in the watermelon patches because the sand is warm and the prey is plentiful (field mice, lizards, moles, gopher etc.).

Never heard it said snakes smell like watermelons before. Actually made me laugh until I gave it some thought.

You can bet I'm gonna check it out more. Hell, I see snakes quite often.
Old 11-22-2012, 09:58 PM

A "rattlesnake" is a type of watermelon cultivated in the South before the Civil War. The name refers to its pattern of stripes.

Perhaps Dan was making a joke about the Civil War.
Old 11-22-2012, 10:44 PM
BANNED

I know some Guaymi Indians down in Costa Rica who can actually smell snakes from several yards away.

I wouldn't have believed them, but their demonstrated sense of smell was ridiculously good. Every time I cut into a papaya, if they were anywhere within 100 yards or so, they would show up within 2-3 minutes for a slice. I'm pretty sure they were smelling it.
Old 11-22-2012, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by al27052 View Post
I'm pretty sure they were smelling it.
Fruit to Human Telepathy.

::Now You Know::
Old 11-22-2012, 11:42 PM

Quote:
I know some Guaymi Indians down in Costa Rica who can actually smell snakes from several yards away.

I wouldn't have believed them, but their demonstrated sense of smell was ridiculously good. Every time I cut into a papaya, if they were anywhere within 100 yards or so, they would show up within 2-3 minutes for a slice. I'm pretty sure they were smelling it.
Either that, or there are always some snakes within 100 yards of wherever you are.
Old 11-22-2012, 11:46 PM

Quote:

zombie or no

you would think with all their jungle skills they could find their own food and not just smell other peoples food.
Old 11-23-2012, 12:08 AM
Charter Member

Rattlesnakes don't smell like watermelon but Hoop snakes smell just like new tires and can be detected up to 50 yards away by the smell alone. Unfortunately, that is still not far enough to escape if you catch a whiff.

Last edited by Shagnasty; 11-23-2012 at 12:09 AM..
Old 11-23-2012, 08:59 AM
Keeping my password unchanged

Just mentioning that cucumbers do smell a lot like watermelon. Same family, I think.

But then, you have to ask, what do watermelons smell like? Do they smell as well as trained bloodhounds do?
Old 11-23-2012, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamerlane View Post
No.

Rattlesnakes ( and I've had my hands on a few ) smell like rattlesnakes, which is not even remotely close to watermelon. It's a slightly musky odor, actually.

- Tamerlane

So...rattlesnakes smell like muskmelons?

Old 11-23-2012, 09:30 AM

No, snakes use their tongues and Jacobson's organs to smell and I don't think melons are equipped with those.
Old 11-23-2012, 09:53 AM
Charter Member

I've never really been aware that even watermelons smell like watermelons. So far as I can tell, watermelons are sugar water with an interesting texture, and no distinguishing aroma at all.
Old 11-23-2012, 10:24 AM

As long as this zombie is open anyway -- no, rattlesnakes don't smell like watermelon. I've handled hundreds, of perhaps a dozen or more species, and they all smell like rattlesnake.

And while we are dealing with myths, the quote upthread about someone who "unearthed a nest of copperhead young (eggs and some newborns)" is mistaken. The copperhead is ovoviviparous, meaning that shell-less eggs are retained within the body of the female until they hatch, and she then "gives birth" to live young. There are no copperhead "nests" containing eggs to be found anywhere.
Old 11-23-2012, 10:27 AM

I've heard the same warning about snakes. I was under the impression that the smell was from glands when they get upset.

Many animals produce a musky order when scared or upset. Even humans have the "smell of fear" when they are extremely frightened.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0306142536.htm

Quote:
When threatened, many animals release chemicals as a warning signal to members of their own species, who in turn react to the signals and take action. Research by Rice University psychologist Denise Chen suggests a similar phenomenon occurs in humans.

Last edited by aceplace57; 11-23-2012 at 10:29 AM..
Old 11-23-2012, 11:14 AM

I think watermelons smell like rattlesnakes. Probably a defensive adaptation on the part of the watermelons.
Old 11-23-2012, 11:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Arky View Post
Dunno about rattlesnakes, but Water Moccasins (sp?) most definitely have a musky odor, almost like B.O. or something.
Around here, it is said that water moccasins smell like cucumber. I don't know if it's true or not. Anybody else heard this?
Old 11-23-2012, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napier View Post
Around here, it is said that water moccasins smell like cucumber. I don't know if it's true or not. Anybody else heard this?
No, but I've heard the cucumber thing applied to copperheads. I've only handled a small number of copperheads, although I kept a pair on display for several years. They could, when annoyed, threatened, or otherwise provoked, expel a musky smelling fluid from glands near the cloaca. All were decidedly non-cucumberish.

I have handled multiple hundreds of water moccasins, captured them in the wild (this sometimes involving swimming in the Everglades at night wearing a head lamp and carrying a 'snake hook'), bred them, exhibited them, and consider myself pretty familiar with them. They are in the same genus as copperheads, Agkistrodon. Same musk, and same lack of vegetable odors.
Old 11-23-2012, 09:45 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnpost View Post
zombie or no

you would think with all their jungle skills they could find their own food and not just smell other peoples food.
They didn't want to spend all day foraging in the jungle, I guess. The whole reason I even knew them was because they wanted to live in the "big city", i.e., the tiny 10-home town at the literal end of the road in extremely rural southern Costa Rica. The Guaymi that were happier on their "middle of nowhere" reservation in the middle of the jungle stayed on their reservation.
Old 11-23-2012, 10:37 PM
Keeping my password unchanged

That might be because their fathers smell like elderberries.
Old 11-24-2012, 05:58 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdragon View Post
Of course they do, all members of the animal kingdom smell like a fruit. Frogs, lime. Koalas, kiwi. Penguins, banana. Antelopes, apple. Unicorns, pomegranate. And so on.
Nobody else has done it yet, so let me be the first to say that this is the best response EVAH to the question "Does a rattlesnake really smell of watermelon?" and I'll salute you, even if nobody else did.

Last edited by dimmy derko; 11-24-2012 at 06:00 AM..
Old 11-24-2012, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napier View Post
No, moccasin snakes smell like feet. So whenever You sense that smell, RUN!