The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > In My Humble Opinion (IMHO)

Closed Thread

Old 11-23-2003, 08:10 PM

Did you ever have sex with a sibling?

I'm reading this weird (I think) book, The Carnivorous Lamb, by Agustin Gomez-Arcos, about a sheltered boy's young life in Spain during Franco's rule, and he's in love with his older brother, Antonio, who is also madly in love with his younger brother. Haven't finished it yet, so don't give any spoilers here, rather,

I wanted to discuss this notion of fraternal/sibling incest - how common is it? Frankly, I find the notion of brothers actually loving each other completely - emotionally, physically, sexually - to be unbelievable, and I would find it hard to believe that brothers raised together can possibly love each other in that way, given competition for parental love, i.e., traditional Cain/Abel stuff. That is, I believe we are hard-wired to NOT find our siblings attractive like that.

Then again, I once made the acquaintance of a girl who told me obliquely that her brothers all had the "hots" for her - I didn't ask for an explanation, but she didn't appear all that troubled about it.

So I don't know - is it just me, or do you find the notion of sex with one of your siblings repulsive? Or no?
Advertisements  
Old 11-23-2003, 08:21 PM

Well, yeah, I find it repulsive. And since it's a well entrenched taboo in nearly all human societies, I don't think I'm alone.
Old 11-23-2003, 08:32 PM

All my cousins are hot. We're talking H-O-T. I'd never touch them of course but I think it would be weirder if I didn't ever notice.

I had a step sister try to sleep with me. (I was in 3rd grade she was in 6th so I really didn't understand what was going on at the time.)

I CERTAINLY don't have any feelings for my older brother. And I don't have any natrual sisters.

Best I can offer.
Old 11-23-2003, 08:37 PM

My baby brother? EWWWWWW!!!

I adore him, but good Lord, not like that!
Old 11-23-2003, 08:53 PM
Charter Member

You're on the wrong track. Sister: NO! Sister's friends: Yowzza!
Old 11-23-2003, 09:42 PM

I doubt this is appropriate.

As for me, I love the guy, but no f'ing way.
Old 11-23-2003, 10:11 PM

Sometimes I wonder if certain authors make their characters feel that way because that's how they themself felt? Like Heinlein and his free love ideas about father/daughter sex.

I have a very pretty sister. But I notice her beauty with pride as a brother. I view her beauty as I would a marvelous work of art. I don't recall ever having sexual feeling for her. She is younger than me.

I also have several very pretty cousins. One, near my age, was a play around with our sexuality kind of fling for a summer while we were quite young. It never went anywhere and we are very close freinds even now. We tend to look out for each other in regards to the dating/marraige scene. I guess because we know a little bit more about each other's tastes and weaknesses. But we outgrew, as it were, the "kissing cousin" stage of our lives.

Love doesn't always have to mean sex. Especially the deep love you can feel for family and friends.

You might try a search for some of the other incest threads for some very deep reasoning about the "incest taboo."
Old 11-23-2003, 10:13 PM

If you go to www.dailyconfession.com , you'll find coutless incest confessions...It really kinda sick. They have "incest" warnings beside them
Old 11-23-2003, 10:14 PM

It's really...I have to learn how to type
Old 11-23-2003, 10:56 PM

I also had a step-sister try to sleep with me. She was 17, had a 15 or 16 year old sister, and I had just turned 18. It was the first time I had met my new step-family and having just graduated from high school and on my way to the military my dad let me get really sloshed at his house. Nothing happened between her and I as I told her that it wasn't appropriate in the least (though she was attractive in a slutty, trashy kind of way). I think she was trying to get to me before her younger sister did. Ask me sometime about the time my almost future step-mother tried to seduce me.
Old 11-24-2003, 12:02 AM

My first cousin (ie, my mother's niece) and I are a few months apart in age. When we were younger, we did the whole "kissing cousins" thing. And, as we got a little older, it advanced to a little more physical stuff. Not intercourse, though. And it stopped when she offered to blow me in exchange for going down on her.
Old 11-24-2003, 12:24 AM

My sisters are 2 of the 3 most beautiful women in the world. But would I ever think of this topic if it hadn't been a Dope thread? Lordy, no! Sheesh.

But I'm pretty sure I was moved in on by a cousin once. She was 17, I was 15. I think she was just feeling playful. Anyway, you'd think at 15 I would know the game, but I didn't figure it out until much later. Apart from kissing cousins, nothing happened.
Old 11-24-2003, 12:33 AM

Look up MHC (major histocompatibility complex eg. human leukocyte antigen system). "It looks as if we may avoid prospective mates who are too similar to us in the genes that drive the immune system". Some interesting research has been conducted on humans and other animals.
Old 11-24-2003, 03:15 AM

I've never had any sexual feelings towards my siblings, but the concept as such doesn't freak me out. If everyone's a consenting adult, I don't see the harm.
Old 11-24-2003, 03:30 AM

This is a true story...

Years ago when I was at University we used to have regular Wednesday night drinks amongst the local dorm students.

One night, we guys were standing in a circle in some bar trading jokes and stories about our most boastful sexual conquests. Guys do that. It's boring I know, but we were young and drunk and it seemed like a good idea at the time...

Anyways, after about 45 minutes of riotous story telling we noticed that one of us "Scotty" hadn't said a word. So we all turned on him in one fell swoop.

"What have you ever done Scotty you wuss?"

"Yeah Scotty! You're piss weak. You've never done a thing have you? You're weak as shit..."

"Yeah mate. Go on Scotty. Tell us a story. Bet you haven't got one have ya?"

Well... after what seemed like an eternity... Scotty looked down sheepishly at his feet and kicked the carpet a few times and finally spoke up...

"Ummmm.... once.... when I was like 15 my 17 year old sister fucked me once...."

Holy fuck! Can you imagine how we just lost it? We just fell back and laughed ourselves into total utter tears. Scotty had outdone us all. And we saluted him. Totally gross, without doubt. But no denying it, he totally aced us.
Old 11-24-2003, 03:30 AM

I once watched a documentary about people who were unrelated but raised as siblings (as well as people raised in a cummunal, long running orphanage)--it may have been national geographic, but I am not sure. In any case, the incidence of people who were attracted to the folks they thought of as siblings, even when the inbreeding thing was removed was remarkably low. As a matter of fact, the ones raised in the orphanage rarely even looked at each other. The exception to this rule, as far as the program went, were step-siblings. Because they were not raised together, but were instead introduced at a later stage (like as teenagers), they tended to have more attraction to one antother.

Me personally? I have an adopted brother. One of my friends said that he was hot. "Him? Huh? I suppose...." But still, count me as an ewww. And my biological brothers?--inconcievable.
Old 11-24-2003, 08:32 AM
Charter Member

I had a buddy in high school who had a really slutty sister. He and his sister were both adopted children and were not related by blood. Does that count? I mean, his sister was slutty to the anyone, anywhere, anytime level, and that included her brother.
Old 11-24-2003, 08:48 AM

Well, I'm sure she was SOMEONE's sibling... at least, she MAY have been.

We were pretty drunk, you understand.
Old 11-24-2003, 09:01 AM

I've never found any of my sibs the least bit sexually attractive. I don't think that I could. Heck, I still think of them as about 11 years old, even though they're in their mid-20s.

That said, I find the idea that siblings could be so close as to fall in love a romantic one. Just not (*shudder*) my siblings.
Old 11-24-2003, 09:53 AM

Slight hijack-

I saw a British movie on this subject. There was a brother and sister who were raised apart because she was born right after he left home to join the service (and he never came back due to a fallout with his dad).

Twentyyears later he returns home for the dad's funeral and finally meets his "unknown" kid sister. They hit it off and ultimately wind up as lovers. They co-habitate and the word gets out. They are arrested and put on trial on morals charges.

The judge is sympathetic and ultimately frees them on the condition one of them gets sterilized. Judge claims that though the two are blood siblings, their being raised apart effectively made them strangers and that most incest laws were created to prevent "biological" problems of offspring from such unions.

If anyone has seen this film (late 80's early 90's), please post the title. It was both fascinating and disturbing.
Old 11-24-2003, 10:04 AM

Kind of off topic, but there's a new show on Fox called Arrested Development and they are always talking about how the male kid has a crush on his cousin. It's his first cousin. That strikes me as an odd thing to have on a tv show, but then it's kind of an odd show.
Old 11-24-2003, 10:09 AM

I had sex with my brother-in-law's sibling.
Old 11-24-2003, 10:15 AM

BwanaBob, that might have been based on a true story, but in reality the couple had children and were actually imprisoned (at least the father, don't remember about the mother).
Old 11-24-2003, 10:17 AM

"I was fourteen years old when we went on holiday with my Uncle Frank and his daughters. Sixteen. Twins. Blonde. Now I knew that Sarah fancied me, but I wasn't too sure about Alice. Anyway, middle of the night, I wake up with this tongue stuck down my throat. Wide awake now - I couldn't believe my eyes. It was Uncle Frank! He'd got the wrong room - he thought I was my mum!"

A.J.Rimmer - Red Dwarf
Old 11-24-2003, 04:16 PM

BwanaBob, that movie was called Close My Eyes and starred Clive Owen (who was also in Croupier)

http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0101595/
Old 11-24-2003, 04:59 PM
Charter Member

If I take a step back and look at it objectively.. my brother would make a good mate but not because he's completely hot (though he isn't that bad looking by today's standards). I'd go out with him because he's everything my boyfriends have never been.. faithful.. honest.. heck he's been dating one girl for almost 2 years my longest relationship is just over a month *sighs*

But no, my brother *shudders* no way! That's just too gross..

My uncle on the other hand.. (hey I like Surfer dudes!) but A he's my UNCLE B he's married with two kids and happy in Australia..
Old 11-24-2003, 05:48 PM
Charter Member

Not terribly relevant, but legion's quote instantly made me think of this
Old 11-24-2003, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Doctor Jackson
Hey Doc,
you just as might as well have said that you had sex with your brother-in-law's accountant
Old 11-24-2003, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Innanna
I once watched a documentary about people who were unrelated but raised as siblings (as well as people raised in a cummunal, long running orphanage...

Freudian typo?
Old 11-24-2003, 06:48 PM

Doctor Jackson was joking I think.

I never had improper thoughts about my sister. Maybe its because I grew up with her, through being little kids, though teenage years etc. We built a bond of love based on being family, and its very difficult for sexual feelings to creep in. Just a guess.
Old 11-24-2003, 06:57 PM

Do I score (no pun intended) extra points since my brother is thinking of becoming a priest?

Anyway, in answer to the question at hand:

Nope. No way. Uh-uh. Ew.
Old 11-24-2003, 07:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Doctor Jackson
I hate to belabor the obvious, but since the responses have been unclear: There's a reasonable chance that Doctor Jackson's brother-in-law's sibling is the good Doctor's wife. Just a wild guess and all.
Old 11-24-2003, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by snorlax
BwanaBob, that movie was called Close My Eyes and starred Clive Owen (who was also in Croupier)

http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0101595/
Thanks snorlax but that's not the movie. I've seen Close My Eyes, it's also a compelling movie but the story is nothing like the one I described.
Old 11-24-2003, 08:12 PM

I don't have a sister, but I've fantasized before about having a sister and having a relationship with her. I also had a secret crush on my aunt as a young lad, but my idea of romance then was pretty much just chaste kissing.

If I did actually have a sister, I doubt that I'd actually have the fantasy about her, as I'm not particularly close in any way with anyone in my birth family.
Old 11-24-2003, 09:13 PM
BANNED

Well I know for a fact that I'll never have feelings for my borther or sister because I DON'T HAVE ANY SIBLINGS!
Old 11-24-2003, 09:13 PM
BANNED

Well I know for a fact that I'll never have feelings for my borther or sister because I DON'T HAVE ANY SIBLINGS!
Old 11-24-2003, 09:23 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally posted by Boo Boo Foo
This is a true story...

Years ago when I was at University we used to have regular Wednesday night drinks amongst the local dorm students.

One night, we guys were standing in a circle in some bar trading jokes and stories about our most boastful sexual conquests. Guys do that. It's boring I know, but we were young and drunk and it seemed like a good idea at the time...

Anyways, after about 45 minutes of riotous story telling we noticed that one of us "Scotty" hadn't said a word. So we all turned on him in one fell swoop.

"What have you ever done Scotty you wuss?"

"Yeah Scotty! You're piss weak. You've never done a thing have you? You're weak as shit..."

"Yeah mate. Go on Scotty. Tell us a story. Bet you haven't got one have ya?"

Well... after what seemed like an eternity... Scotty looked down sheepishly at his feet and kicked the carpet a few times and finally spoke up...

"Ummmm.... once.... when I was like 15 my 17 year old sister fucked me once...."

Holy fuck! Can you imagine how we just lost it? We just fell back and laughed ourselves into total utter tears. Scotty had outdone us all. And we saluted him. Totally gross, without doubt. But no denying it, he totally aced us.
I didn't know you went to the University of West Virginia!
Old 11-24-2003, 09:43 PM

My brother--yuck. No way. The worst thing is, I look just like him. When I look in the mirror it's "Aaaak!! Steve!!!! Oh no, that's just me again."

He used to look like Richard Gere, which is why I hate Richard Gere. Now he looks like Jerry Garcia riding a Harley. Kind of scary.
Old 11-24-2003, 10:09 PM
Charter Member

I remember once when I was a teenager my Mom was dating this dude who had a daughter about my age. What they would do on occasion was, he would bring his daughter over, we would have dinner than Mom and the dude would go out for drinks. Things were going pretty well for the both of them (romanticaly) They were even talking about marriage....

That is of course untill one night they came home only to find me and the dudes daughter going at it like a couple of rabid dogs.

So I guess you could say I almost did my step sister.

Sorry Mom.

Man I'll never forget the look on that guys face.. CLASSIC!

and my poor Mom; How do you punish someone for something like that? "DAMMIT SHAKES IF I TOLD ONCE I TOLD YOU A MILLION TIMES; STOP FUCKING YOUR SISTER!"
Old 11-24-2003, 10:50 PM

What, no mention of V. C. Andrews?
Old 11-24-2003, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Guinastasia
What, no mention of V. C. Andrews?
It's a shame her last book wasn't an autobiography. I bet her family life was....interesting.
Old 11-25-2003, 12:02 AM

There is no way I'd ever touch or let my brother touch me in such a way. Cousins? Hell no! Uncle, father, grandfather... NONONONONO! If there is a blood link, no fuckin' way (pun intended). That's wrong... just W-R-O-N-G.
Old 11-25-2003, 04:50 AM

It's funny reading the above posts that most of the cousins who initiated the intimacy were the females. Same thing happened to me with one of my second cousins, but we never did anything.
Old 11-25-2003, 07:07 AM

Why the hell would I want to sleep with my brother? He's my BROTHER! The idea is just so gross!

The same goes for anyone related to me by blood.

Official Doper Brat
Old 11-25-2003, 09:20 AM

One of my cousins and his older stepsister apparently had a sexual relationship for a while. In all fairness, she was (is) a good looking woman and they aren't related by blood.
Old 11-25-2003, 09:33 AM

*shudders* WHY did I have to go and read this? Eugh!

Anyway, just to put the matter beyond the shadow of the valley of doubt, NO never, even considering such a situation makes me feel physically sick.

ICK
Old 11-25-2003, 09:56 AM

I know a couple of people who have had sex with first cousins. Unsurprisingly, they don't talk about it much.
Old 11-25-2003, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ILikeMadonna
I assume so, but you forgot to mention that your parents can't possibly have any more children.

Hijack: many people see nothing wrong with dating cousins. It's a whole 'nother debte, but I just thought it needed reminding.
Old 11-25-2003, 10:45 AM

I don't understand why everybody is so 'disgusted' at the thought of having sex with a blood relative. I don't think it's a big deal at all, and as long as they are both consenting adults who do not intend to have children, who cares?

Personally, all of the women in my family are hideous looking, but if they weren't, I certainly wouldn't rule them out just because we're related.
Old 11-25-2003, 11:22 AM

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Innanna
I once watched a documentary about people who were unrelated but raised as siblings (as well as people raised in a cummunal, long running orphanage...
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally posted by Tangent
Freudian typo?
Well, damn. And I even previewed. That is not a good typo there, is it.
Closed Thread