How to block domains in Outlook Express

I was able to do this on my old computer, but after buying the new one, I can’t remember how.

There was a time when spam sent to me offering to clean my colon, increase my already sizeable penis, knock 400 lbs off my frame in 3 days, etc was blocked by banning any e-mail from the domain. Now I just get to block senders, but there are probably 50 senders in waiting for everyone I block.

Also, when I CAN get a remove link, it always seems to have the customary misspellings, and I suspect it does nothing but confirm a working address. The spam grows as I try to unsubscribe.

Any help?

It’s true that a lot, if not most, unsubscribe links just confirm a working address. I’ve stopped clicking them now. Not sure about the Outlook rule though.

Not sure about outlook express (and which of the 14 versions you have), but in full-up Outlook 2000 it’s easy to block entire domains. Here’s how and you’ll have to adjust the details for your version.

1. Start Outlook and from the main menu select Tools->Rules Wizard …

2. When the dialog box appears, click the [New…] Button

3. When the wizard appears, in the upper listbox select the “Check messages when they arrive” choice. You’ll see that phrase added to the lower display box. Click [Next >].

4. In the next wizard page, in the upper listbox scroll down to the choice “with specific words in the message header”, and check the box next to that choice. You’ll see that phrase added to the lower display box.

5. In the lower display box, click the “specific words” link and enter the offending domain (e.g. junkmail.com) into the popup box. [OK] the popup and click [Next >] on the wizard.

6. In the next wizard page, in the upper listbox scroll down to the choice “delete it” or “permanently delete it” as you prefer.

7. Click [Next >] twice, give it a name and ensure the “Turn on this rule” box is checked.

Viola’: no more mail from those guys.

No setting on your computer can prevent Outlook from starting to download the mail; it has to at least start to see what is is in order to decide what to do with it. But once it gets the header, this rule will eliminate your having to deal with it thereafter.

The “delete” rule will put the email into your “deleted items” folder. The “permanently delete” rule will simply make it disappear forever.

You can also set your deleted items folder to be cleared when you quit Outlook by selecting Tools -> Options from the main menu and clicking the Other tab. Check the appropriate box and [OK].

Hope this helps.

Thanks, I’ll try it