What exactly happens in the leukemias?

I assume that since they’re considered cancers of (white, I believe) blood cells, that the body is mass-producing mutant white blood cells. That doesn’t sound good, but the question is “What exactly does it cause to happen?” I can visualize the problems caused by organ, skin and bone type cancers, but I’m a little fuzzy on leukemia. What’s up?

http://www.leukemia.org/all_page?item_id=9346

Just to emphasize what DDG said, the major consequence of having leukemia is that the normal function of the bone marrow is inhibited. So, there will be too few white cells and/or too few platelets being produced. Since white cells are essential to fight off germs and since platelets are needed for blood clotting, this can lead to overwhelming (and fatal) infection and spontaneous (and fatal) bleeding respectively.

In in the acute leukemias especially, the defective cells are overproduced to a large extent. A normal white count is around 5,000 to 10,000. I’ve seen white counts in leukemia patients as high as 600,000. This actually makes the blood too viscous to flow properly, leading to other problems. Or some defective white cells will start pumping out abnormal proteins in great quantities also affecting blood viscosity, etc.