2D political compass: where do you sit ?

It would be interesting to find out where dopers political views rank on the Political Compass.

This link is to a survey that tests your political views and maps them. Rather than the old left-right spectrum, it uses 2 axis.

I’ll tell you mine soon. :slight_smile:

I took this test about 6 months ago. It’s a big improvement over left/right.

I don’t remember my exact scoring, but I was delighted to score really near Ghandi and, just as importantly, to differ from George W Bush in two dimensions, not just left/right.

Economic Left/Right: -2.62
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.21

Pretty close to the Dalai Lama.

That site is hard to navigate with my browser.

According to the rather opinionated folks (lots of those questions offered no answers that I could embrace) who generated the site, my score, by their accounting, was:

Economic Left/Right: 4.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.28

and I fall in the quadrant where there is no one.

Economic Left/Right: -8.12

Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.62

A little more to the left of Gandhi.

Upon further reflection (well, about three minutes’ worth), I don’t think they’re on to much of anything.

I had to redo it to remind myself. I am in no-man’s land at Economic 7.5 and Social -5.4. The test is biased towards pushing people to the left so I had to answer some of the more inflammatory questions as if they were a bit more nuanced.

Economic Left/Right: -2.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.69

Economic Left/Right: -4.50

Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.49

Economic Left/Right: -2.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.77

Socially, I’m more liberal than the Pope, but not as much as Mandela. And MUCH more “authoritarian” than anyone else so far, on the test site or on this board, I think.

Call me a Compassionate Fascist, then!

Ranchoth
(“Save the whales, Nuke the commies. Make love AND war!”)

The Libertarian party has been using a similar compass for about 25 years, now. About the only difference between the Politicalcompass.org’s chart and our Nolan chart is that we put the Libertarian axis on top (naturally). Here is their version of the same test but shorter – only five economic and five personal issue questions.

Oh, and on the Politicalcompass.org test I came out 1.25 -5.00

DD

Huh.

Your political compass
Economic Left/Right: 7.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.46

According to the Libertarians I’m a Libertarian. Surprise, surprise.

Economic Left/Right: -7.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.38
I’m left of the Dalai Lama. I didn’t know that was possible.

I agree with Fruitbat, and to a lesser extent Ringo. (Geez, if a non-Doper read that sentence, they would think I was talking about the Banana Splits or something.) The test is biased toward the left, and the questions were not exactly nuanced. There were several where none of the answers really applied.

Interesting on a surface level, though.

Economic Left/Right: +5.62
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.46

Econ: -6.25
Soc: -2.05

Huh. I always assumed I was more of a facist. :slight_smile: I guess it’s all relative

Im more libertarian than Ghandi, probably about where the Dali Lama sits.

Economic Left/Right: -5.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.69

Some of the questions seemed more like an IQ test.

Astrology predicts the future?
Some people are born lucky?
Gimme a break

I wonder if this test was performed on a random population, where the average would lie - I hope at 0, 0.
I wonder how this would change with time?

Economic Left/Right: 0.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.51

I’m just below center of it all. That sounds about right, although I’m not sure I liked the way some of those questions were phrased.

Economic Left/Right: -2.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.15

Odd. I expected a positive economic rating.

Economic Left/Right: -2.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.97

It’s too bad they didn’t have the normal “somewhat agree/disagree” catogories these things usually do, since with the wording of a lot of the questions you had to pick agreeing or disagreeing with something you have little opinion on.

For example: Do religious schools play a positive role in education? Well, they’re not playing an overtly negative role so I had to pick agree.