The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > The BBQ Pit

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-21-2004, 12:33 PM
Civil Defense Civil Defense is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 573
Uh, I'll use "u" if I damned well please.

I'm not the OP of this thread; however, I think there's a lot of irony in someone spending time to type out a holier-than-thou reply to someone who chooses to use "u" or "u r" as a way of using SHORTHAND.

The point of using "u" or "u r" whenever I do, which admittedly isn't very often, is to abbreviate typing if I'm either in a hurry, tired, lazy, drunk, what have you. You do not strain your brain any more to read "u" instead of "you"; in fact, you may just be saving some precious milliseconds in calculation that you could better spend reading threads from people who are as eloquent as you are.

In any case, I don't see what the fucking problem with using "u" is. Do the same people who use "u" also use acronyms? Why not abolish those, too? I mean, what kind of person would you be for slamming someone for using "u" when you, yourself, are using "BRB" as opposed to the much more eloquent "Be right back"?

Shit, I hope none of you use "OK" either. You'll have to pit yourselves for not typing out the entire "Okay" (depending on which dictionary you use to justify your anal retentiveness). In any case, it's clear that "OK" developed from someone's "cuteness" in deciding not to type "okay".

If I'm writing a nice, formal memo, u can b damn sure that I won't b using phrases such as "u guys need 2 hurry up and build these cuz r customers need them k thxu". However, in a much more social setting such as -- gasp -- the SDMB, I see no reason not to go ahead and use shorthand when it's REALLY FUCKING OBVIOUS what I mean to say, whether you like it or not.

And if I do, and you decide to write out a multi-paragraph essay on why it annoys you, be forewarned that you're only serving to release your own ill-formed frustration and I will only mock your reply. So don't waste your time with me, but instead go chat with more educated individuals.
Advertisements  
  #2  
Old 02-21-2004, 12:41 PM
Ilsa_Lund Ilsa_Lund is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Using twelveyearoldhormonalgirlAOLspeak is REALLY FUCKING OBNOXIOUS.

Quote:
The point of using "u" or "u r" whenever I do, which admittedly isn't very often, is to abbreviate typing if I'm either in a hurry, tired, lazy, drunk, what have you.
Try this on for size: don't post when tired, hurried, lazy or drunk. If you can't communicate with your "peers" in a manner that indicates your relative level of literacy, then refrain from posting. This is not a Britney Spears fanboard. Cecil doesn't r0xxx0rz. Bush isn't teh suxx0rz. LOL OMG.
  #3  
Old 02-21-2004, 12:44 PM
FilmGeek FilmGeek is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
It bothered me when paul'smars did it and it bothers me when you do it, Civil Defense

Why? Because it makes you look like a 13 year old* idiot and I will from now on discount everything you say as the rantings of the above mentioned pubescent moron.

*not all 13 year olds are idiots nor do they feel it necessary to leave out letters in very very short words, such as "be".

If you don't want people to respond, don't post in The Pit.
  #4  
Old 02-21-2004, 12:47 PM
Civil Defense Civil Defense is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilsa_Lund
Using twelveyearoldhormonalgirlAOLspeak is REALLY FUCKING OBNOXIOUS.



Try this on for size: don't post when tired, hurried, lazy or drunk. If you can't communicate with your "peers" in a manner that indicates your relative level of literacy, then refrain from posting. This is not a Britney Spears fanboard. Cecil doesn't r0xxx0rz. Bush isn't teh suxx0rz. LOL OMG.
If you can't understand the concept that "u" means, get this-- "you," then I'd say that it's you who has the problem with understanding communication.
  #5  
Old 02-21-2004, 12:49 PM
Ilsa_Lund Ilsa_Lund is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civil Defense
If you can't understand the concept that "u" means, get this-- "you," then I'd say that it's you who has the problem with understanding communication.
Miss the whole fucking point much?
  #6  
Old 02-21-2004, 12:49 PM
Civil Defense Civil Defense is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmGeek
It bothered me when paul'smars did it and it bothers me when you do it, Civil Defense

Why? Because it makes you look like a 13 year old* idiot and I will from now on discount everything you say as the rantings of the above mentioned pubescent moron.
<sarcasm>Aw, shucks, 2 bad 4 me then.</sarcasm>

I'd love to see your logic applied to everyday issues- for example, do you discount the things our President says simply because he mispronounces words and, at times, makes up his own words?
  #7  
Old 02-21-2004, 12:49 PM
CheekyMonkey613 CheekyMonkey613 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
I have no problem with "U" instead of "you". Personally, I never use them myself. It would actually take me more time to think of it than to just type. I type almost as fast as I think, so no need here.

I also have no problem with other abbreviations like: BRB, LOL ... whatever.

One thing that makes me CRAZY is when it takes the same amount of letters to spell the "new word".

"Kewl" makes my skin crawl.
  #8  
Old 02-21-2004, 12:51 PM
heater heater is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
You're in a hurry, and can't type an extra "y" and "o"???

How fucking slow do you type?

Let me help you out a bit. They're both on the top row of letters. Only two keys between them. Matter of fact, one of them is a "u".
  #9  
Old 02-21-2004, 12:51 PM
mic84 mic84 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Quote:
Shit, I hope none of you use "OK" either. You'll have to pit yourselves for not typing out the entire "Okay" (depending on which dictionary you use to justify your anal retentiveness). In any case, it's clear that "OK" developed from someone's "cuteness" in deciding not to type "okay".
No it isn't[/nitpick]
  #10  
Old 02-21-2004, 12:52 PM
FilmGeek FilmGeek is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
I forgot to thank Starving Artist for his/her eloquent answer to the u r b typer in the linked thread.

I owe you a beer.

[hats off to you smiley]
  #11  
Old 02-21-2004, 12:57 PM
Ilsa_Lund Ilsa_Lund is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Quote:
I'd love to see your logic applied to everyday issues- for example, do you discount the things our President says simply because he mispronounces words and, at times, makes up his own words?
Fuck yes. Next stupid question?
  #12  
Old 02-21-2004, 12:57 PM
Civil Defense Civil Defense is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by mic84
No it isn't[/nitpick]
[nitpick]
Then, let me instead accuse them of being hypocritical for not typing
1. okeh
2. oll korrect
3. open key
4. o. kendall & sons
5. aux cayes
6. obediah kelly
7. olla kalla
8. ober-kommando
[/nitpick]

My apologies for assuming it instead sprang from "okay".

In any case, the people who are likely to get pissed off if I feel like typing the equally-understood "u" are those who I wouldn't really want to waste time communicating with, anyway, namely SUTA condescending pricks.*

*yes, yes, irony.
  #13  
Old 02-21-2004, 12:58 PM
Bricker Bricker is online now
And Full Contact Origami
SDSAB
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 44,715
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civil Defense
Shit, I hope none of you use "OK" either. You'll have to pit yourselves for not typing out the entire "Okay" (depending on which dictionary you use to justify your anal retentiveness). In any case, it's clear that "OK" developed from someone's "cuteness" in deciding not to type "okay".
Bwahahaha!

No, it's not remotely "clear." In fact, it's utterly wrong, and perhaps poetic justice that part of your support for the propagation of ignorance rests on... well... ignorance.

In any event, the use of these ridiculous shortcuts makes you look like an illiterate fool. You may well not be, but you can hardly be heard to complain when people read your absurdly spastic typing and conclude otherwise.

- Rick
  #14  
Old 02-21-2004, 01:00 PM
FilmGeek FilmGeek is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civil Defense
<sarcasm>Aw, shucks, 2 bad 4 me then.</sarcasm>

I'd love to see your logic applied to everyday issues- for example, do you discount the things our President says simply because he mispronounces words and, at times, makes up his own words?

Actually, I do discount most of what he says because he does sound like a complete idiot. I think he is a complete idiot, but that isn't the subject in question here. You can find plenty of other threads on this great message board of ours concerning Pres. Bush's mental acuity.

You, however, are rapidly proving yourself to be a moron regardless of the way you conduct yourself on this message board.

Whoops, I ment u r stoopid.
  #15  
Old 02-21-2004, 01:02 PM
Civil Defense Civil Defense is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bricker
Bwahahaha!

No, it's not remotely "clear." In fact, it's utterly wrong,

Grammatically wrong or not, are you seriously suggesting that associating "u" with "you" is NOT clear when read in a sentence?

Example:

u r number 3 in line.

You are number 3 in line.

You seriously can not distinguish between the two? They are not both crystal clear?

Wow. I rest my case.
  #16  
Old 02-21-2004, 01:04 PM
Ilsa_Lund Ilsa_Lund is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civil Defense
Grammatically wrong or not, are you seriously suggesting that associating "u" with "you" is NOT clear when read in a sentence?

Example:

u r number 3 in line.

You are number 3 in line.

You seriously can not distinguish between the two? They are not both crystal clear?

Wow. I rest my case.
Goddammit! Do you have the reading comprehension of a fucking scallop?!?!

Quote:
In any case, it's clear that "OK" developed from someone's "cuteness" in deciding not to type "okay".
Quote:
No, it's not remotely "clear." In fact, it's utterly wrong, and perhaps poetic justice that part of your support for the propagation of ignorance rests on... well... ignorance.
  #17  
Old 02-21-2004, 01:05 PM
Mr. Blue Sky Mr. Blue Sky is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 1999
You realize this is all Prince's fault, right?
  #18  
Old 02-21-2004, 01:05 PM
FilmGeek FilmGeek is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Um, Bricker was referring to your use of clear in your assertion that OK came from okay.

Dumbass.
  #19  
Old 02-21-2004, 01:06 PM
Civil Defense Civil Defense is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilsa_Lund
Goddammit! Do you have the reading comprehension of a fucking scallop?!?!
Yes. Yes, I do. Now, if you will be so kind as to ignore all future posts from me, because, clearly, I am below your acceptable level of conversational intelligence, then we can both be about our business and you can find much smaller, menial things to pick at, I'm sure.
  #20  
Old 02-21-2004, 01:08 PM
Fish Fish is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
You are free to use "u" or "b" or "r" or "m" or whatever shorthand you wish. I am free to interpret that as your lack of care or respect to communicate well and properly, and I am also free to come to any conclusions about the level of education you present. One way or another, using substandard communication shows that you either do not know or do not care to make the effort; it also shows a tremendous lack of respect for the non-native English-as-a-second-or-third-language posters on the Straight Dope. Justify your laziness to them, if you will.
  #21  
Old 02-21-2004, 01:09 PM
Civil Defense Civil Defense is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmGeek
Um, Bricker was referring to your use of clear in your assertion that OK came from okay.

Dumbass.
Etymology aside, the point of my OP was to say that anyone with a shred of intelligence can easily equate that u = you and can move on from there and finish the rest of whatever they may be reading.

If the lack of 2 letters from a word requires you to denounce my intelligence and invalidates everything I say otherwise, then don't read it. Move on and find something better to do with your time.

Dumbass.

Apologies to Bricker, who I misunderstood.
  #22  
Old 02-21-2004, 01:10 PM
Tusculan Tusculan is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
I notice that all of you are only saying that the 'u' is annoying. Well, to me it is not only annoying but actually harder to read. That's right, it's harder to read.

I'm quite used to parsing the normal spelling of English, so my mind will do it automatically. Whenever I see spelling that interrupts the normal flow of a sentence, I have to stop and consciously spell out what is written. That's harder.

Of course, if this becomes the normal spelling, I will adapt and won't care. But as long as the 'u' is anomalous spelling, please refrain from using it. Otherwise I'll continue skipping such posts, as I'm prone to do now. You don't have to spell correctly, I don't have to read. Spelling 'you' as 'u' is equivalent to mentally slapping the reader.
  #23  
Old 02-21-2004, 01:10 PM
Civil Defense Civil Defense is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish
I am free to interpret that as your lack of care or respect to communicate well
I am communicating just fine as long as you understand what I said.
  #24  
Old 02-21-2004, 01:11 PM
FilmGeek FilmGeek is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
I wish I could accuse you of being a Troll. I won't because I think you're just being a stubborn ass.

You also seemed to have missed the entire point of the linked Cecil article... as he points out all the examples you listed as NOT being part of the etymology of OK.
  #25  
Old 02-21-2004, 01:13 PM
Ilsa_Lund Ilsa_Lund is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civil Defense
I am communicating just fine as long as you understand what I said.
You could speak Yiddish and I could use Babelfish. Is that good, clear communication?
  #26  
Old 02-21-2004, 01:14 PM
erislover erislover is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Typos I forgive completely, if I can still understand the sentence. LOLs and IANALs and associated strings don't bother me in the slightest, I consider it a part of the medium. Intentional shortening is silly, to me. Admittedly, I don't care to compell you one way or the other, but if I see "u" for "you" or "4" in place of "for", I'm inclined to simply turn the other way.

Know your audience. If they don't like "u", and you want to be read, don't use "u". I know, we're a really tough bunch. You'll live, I promise.
  #27  
Old 02-21-2004, 01:17 PM
Snooooopy Snooooopy is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Jacksonville, N.C.
Posts: 9,851
Using "u" instead of "you" and so forth is kind of like changing the font to lime -- I can still read it, but it sure isn't fun to look at.
  #28  
Old 02-21-2004, 01:18 PM
Civil Defense Civil Defense is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilsa_Lund
You could speak Yiddish and I could use Babelfish. Is that good, clear communication?
It would be if you knew Yiddish. You know what "u" is and what it means.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erislover
Know your audience. If they don't like "u", and you want to be read, don't use "u". I know, we're a really tough bunch. You'll live, I promise.
I do know my audience. They are educated enough to equate "u" and "you" -- in some cases, they do; in others, they are just too stubborn to accept anything else. They may not like it, nor do they have to. There is a scrollbar and they can ignore my comments if desired. OR, they can accept that "u" and "you" are the same goddamn thing and instead focus on the meaning behind the post itself.

I've "lived fine" here for 3 years now, participating in threads that I want to. But thanks for your handholding.
  #29  
Old 02-21-2004, 01:29 PM
Fish Fish is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
"U" and "you" are the same thing if English is your native tongue. Need I remind you a second time that this board does not consist entirely of native English-speaking readers? Admit it: you don't care what they think, do you?

If I understand what you are saying, you have communicated. If your communication is comprehensible but you give the impression of being a moron then no, you haven't communicated very well—unless you really are a moron, in which case your level of communication is perfect. What's it going to be?
  #30  
Old 02-21-2004, 01:33 PM
Civil Defense Civil Defense is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish
"U" and "you" are the same thing if English is your native tongue. Need I remind you a second time that this board does not consist entirely of native English-speaking readers? Admit it: you don't care what they think, do you?

If I understand what you are saying, you have communicated. If your communication is comprehensible but you give the impression of being a moron then no, you haven't communicated very well—unless you really are a moron, in which case your level of communication is perfect. What's it going to be?
Natively English-speaking or not, I'd say it's a good bet that the majority of posters on this board can easily equate "u" and "you". Take it or leave it, but I'm making the assumption.

As to what it's going to be, I guess you're right-- in your eyes, I'm a moron, and you should forever ignore my ideas because I may use shorthand notation from time to time. My loss? If you say so.
  #31  
Old 02-21-2004, 01:34 PM
ParentalAdvisory ParentalAdvisory is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Civil Defense, cut your losses.


You simply can understand both forms of communication without struggle, while others cannot. This is a good thing! If others don't like it, oh well.

I disagree with the notion that Civil Defense is an idiot. Now if it was his primary form of communication, then he/she would have some serious problems. Clearly, it is not.



OMGHi2U!!! LOL!! OWN3D, loL'; u sp33k l33t?
  #32  
Old 02-21-2004, 01:35 PM
Earl of the CC Earl of the CC is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Why do you all sound so angry? It's not like this is a serious issue. Get some perspective and then breathe.
  #33  
Old 02-21-2004, 01:36 PM
Elysian Elysian is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
I will join the growing list of people who say that "u" substituted for "you" is darned hard to read. I am a speedreader and that "u" trips me up every time, and I have to go back and look at it and puzzle it out, which interrupts the flow entirely.

If you want a reader to quickly and easily understand what you type, and NOT automatically presume you're an imbicile and easily led by the current fad (although this is a very longstanding fad), then you should waste the extra 1/8th second and type the extra two letters. If you really and truly think that shortening words leads to easier comprehension, I suggest you ferret out the studies that unanimously say this is not true. I am too lazy to find them for you right now.

Yet I am NOT to lazy to type the entirety of you.
  #34  
Old 02-21-2004, 01:36 PM
erislover erislover is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civil Defense
They may not like it, nor do they have to. There is a scrollbar and they can ignore my comments if desired.
I believe that's the point. We will.
Quote:
I've "lived fine" here for 3 years now, participating in threads that I want to. But thanks for your handholding.
Hey, you want to make it a big deal, like we're cramping your fucking style by requesting you just type English, that's what you're going to get: people holding your hand, and people ignoring you. If that doesn't bother you, then why post about it? No, you're pissed because people express their distaste at this method of posting, and by gosh and by golly you're going to post how you like.

But it is a stupid fucking OP that raises an issue then "suggests" that people that disagree just don't post. Get over yourself. It's a stupid fucking OP that offers the hypothesis that people shouldn't care about "u" because we're smart enough to form the association. And it's a naive individual that expects to be tolerated just because he is not forbidden from performing the activity.

Some of us don't like it. We tell you. Just because you are given the liberty to have different opinions and standards doesn't mean you're immune from criticism of same. And you're probably talking to the wrong audience for sympathy. So I have to either assume you're feeling like getting on a cross over this, or speculations as to your maturity level are gaining empirical support.

Frankly, I don't even know why I said anything in the first place. We all do stupid things sometimes.
  #35  
Old 02-21-2004, 01:37 PM
Civil Defense Civil Defense is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParentalAdvisory
Civil Defense, cut your losses.


You simply can understand both forms of communication without struggle, while others cannot. This is a good thing! If others don't like it, oh well.

I disagree with the notion that Civil Defense is an idiot. Now if it was his primary form of communication, then he/she would have some serious problems. Clearly, it is not.



OMGHi2U!!! LOL!! OWN3D, loL'; u sp33k l33t?
Thanks for the voice of reason (finally), ParentalAdvisory.

It may behoove everyone in the thread to understand what you've pointed out -- there is a huge difference between "OMGHi2U!!! LOL!! OWN3D, loL'; u sp33k l33t?" and the occasional "u". I am defending the usage and intelligence of one, but not the other.
  #36  
Old 02-21-2004, 01:39 PM
ParentalAdvisory ParentalAdvisory is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish
"U" and "you" are the same thing if English is your native tongue. Need I remind you a second time that this board does not consist entirely of native English-speaking readers? Admit it: you don't care what they think, do you?

Whoa, are you suggesting that we translate every post from english into other languages because the non-english speaking people might not understand it?


¿Whoa, usted sugiere que traducimos cada poste del inglés en otros idiomas porque las personas parlantes no-ingleses no lo quizás entienda?
  #37  
Old 02-21-2004, 01:40 PM
Civil Defense Civil Defense is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by erislover
But it is a stupid fucking OP that raises an issue then "suggests" that people that disagree just don't post. Get over yourself. It's a stupid fucking OP that offers the hypothesis that people shouldn't care about "u" because we're smart enough to form the association. And it's a naive individual that expects to be tolerated just because he is not forbidden from performing the activity.
Maybe I wasn't clear in my OP. I wasn't telling you not to reply, I was just warning you that your disliking of my usage wasn't going to change the fact that I will use it, if I feel like it. Your attacks of my intelligence fall on deaf ears, on this end.
  #38  
Old 02-21-2004, 01:44 PM
Diogenes the Cynic Diogenes the Cynic is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: St. Paul, MN
Posts: 58,797
One of the attractions of this board is that it remains largely free of internet shorthand, fucking "Leetspeak" and the like. Atrocities like "ur" degrade the dialogue and are irritating to interpret. I don't give enough of a fuck to devote even a fraction of a second to trying to decipher your adolescent shorthand. Save it for passing notes in your eighth grade social studies class. If you can't fucking spell the word "you," then why the fuck should anyone take you seriously in anything else you say?
  #39  
Old 02-21-2004, 01:45 PM
Ilsa_Lund Ilsa_Lund is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diogenes the Cynic
One of the attractions of this board is that it remains largely free of internet shorthand, fucking "Leetspeak" and the like. Atrocities like "ur" degrade the dialogue and are irritating to interpret. I don't give enough of a fuck to devote even a fraction of a second to trying to decipher your adolescent shorthand. Save it for passing notes in your eighth grade social studies class. If you can't fucking spell the word "you," then why the fuck should anyone take you seriously in anything else you say?

Don't hold back man. Tell us how you really feel.
  #40  
Old 02-21-2004, 01:49 PM
Civil Defense Civil Defense is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diogenes the Cynic
One of the attractions of this board is that it remains largely free of internet shorthand, fucking "Leetspeak" and the like. Atrocities like "ur" degrade the dialogue and are irritating to interpret. I don't give enough of a fuck to devote even a fraction of a second to trying to decipher your adolescent shorthand. Save it for passing notes in your eighth grade social studies class. If you can't fucking spell the word "you," then why the fuck should anyone take you seriously in anything else you say?
Because if you're going to take someone's poor spelling or grammar (or even their apt shorthand) to be an indication of their intelligence, then you're the ignorant one.

[off-topic, but appropriate for your mentality]Shit, why don't we just put those ESL immigrants to work doing some manual labor? Anything not involving communication. After all, their English definitely isn't perfect.[/end]

I apologize if my dialogue is not on par with your own; feel free to exclude me from it in the future.
  #41  
Old 02-21-2004, 01:50 PM
erislover erislover is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civil Defense
Maybe I wasn't clear in my OP. I wasn't telling you not to reply, I was just warning you that your disliking of my usage wasn't going to change the fact that I will use it, if I feel like it. Your attacks of my intelligence fall on deaf ears, on this end.
Sorry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by erislover
It's a stupid fucking OP that offers the hypothesis that people shouldn't care about "u" because we r smart enough 2 form the association. And it's a naive individual that expects 2 b tolerated just because he is not forbidden from performing the activity.
Maybe that'll help.
  #42  
Old 02-21-2004, 01:51 PM
FilmGeek FilmGeek is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Pats Ilsa and Diogenes on the back. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParentalAdvisory
Whoa, are you suggesting that we translate every post from english into other languages because the non-english speaking people might not understand it?


¿Whoa, usted sugiere que traducimos cada poste del inglés en otros idiomas porque las personas parlantes no-ingleses no lo quizás entienda?

I didn't interpret Fish's comment as anything but a suggestion that seeing "u" instead of "you" for someone that doesn't speak the language natively can form a considerable barrier. Also, a suggestion that Civil Defense doesn't care one whit whether he's really communicating. He cares only that his way is right and if [petulant 8 year old]you don't like it don't play with me anymore[/petulant 8 year old].

If someone posted in say, Cockney rhyming slang (is that what it's called?) I'd be completely lost though all the words are in English and I'm a native speaker.
  #43  
Old 02-21-2004, 01:53 PM
Ilsa_Lund Ilsa_Lund is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Quote:
Because if you're going to take someone's poor spelling or grammar (or even their apt shorthand) to be an indication of their intelligence, then you're the ignorant one.
Oh brother.
  #44  
Old 02-21-2004, 01:54 PM
overlyverbose overlyverbose is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civil Defense
In any case, the people who are likely to get pissed off if I feel like typing the equally-understood "u" are those who I wouldn't really want to waste time communicating with, anyway, namely SUTA condescending pricks.*

*yes, yes, irony.
Then why do you keep responding to them?

"U" just looks sloppy. You claim that it shouldn't invalidate whatever you have to say; however, it really does. Yes, most people will understand what you're trying to say, but in my opinion it seems as though, no matter how good an argument you put forth, the fact that you are not willing to articulate it with full spelling and/or punctuation makes it more difficult to read and just lazy-looking. Why should I bother to listen to someone who is too lazy to bother tying two letters? Maybe their brain is just as lazy as their fingers.

Also, it makes your post look like someone's cutesy license plate. "IBRK4U"
  #45  
Old 02-21-2004, 01:59 PM
ParentalAdvisory ParentalAdvisory is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diogenes the Cynic
One of the attractions of this board is that it remains largely free of internet shorthand, fucking "Leetspeak" and the like. Atrocities like "ur" degrade the dialogue and are irritating to interpret. I don't give enough of a fuck to devote even a fraction of a second to trying to decipher your adolescent shorthand. Save it for passing notes in your eighth grade social studies class. If you can't fucking spell the word "you," then why the fuck should anyone take you seriously in anything else you say?

I don't think he's trying to condone leetspeak, I think what he's trying to say is that that 'u' and 'ur' isn't much different then 'LOL', 'WTF?', 'LMFAO', 'IANAxxxx', 'IMO', and many, many more which are not criticized on this board. To be honest, when I first discovered message boards, I had no fucking clue as to what that shit meant and thought it was just a bunch of fucking kids being post whores. This is not true, many adults use these abbreviations, and yes, on these very boards. And that's all that 'u' and 'ur' is, abbreviations. It is no where near leetspeak. Leetspeak is a continuous run on of abbreviations consisting of letters and numbers mixed together.

Seriously though, would you really discredit someone based on a 'u' abbreviation? You probably wouldn't for a 'LOL', or would u?
  #46  
Old 02-21-2004, 02:02 PM
Siege Siege is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Civil Defense, I've a question for you. Do you speak to your mother, your boss, and your best friend the exact same way? While people don't make a big deal of it in American English, the way you speak or write to a person conveys your opinion of them and even a level of formality. Tonight I'll be at a gathering of friends. I'll make double and triple entendres, not to mention flirtatious remarks of all stripes. I would not make such remarks in front of my boss, and there's no way I'd make them in front of my mother! Before I described myself as pissed, I'd be aware of whether I was speaking to my American friends or my English relatives, and, if the latter, which generation the relatives were from.

So it is with "u" instead of "you". I could greet an old friend of mine with "Hey creep!", "Hey homey!" or "Hey lady!" and get three different reactions. Since I've never said "Homey", she'd wonder if I was temporarily deranged if I used the second one. If I used the first one in private, it'd be calling back some old high school memories; if I used it in public, she'd be, well, pissed in the American sense! The third example is relatively safe in any context. When I see someone type "u", my personal, idiosyncratic response is to write them off as too concerned with being hip and "kewl" to have much depth, to have more style than substance as it were. Presenting oneself that way on this board is like wearing jeans to a formal ball. It may be more you; it may even be more practical; it will also be seen by the other guests as less respectful and lower their opinion of you. In my case, I'd consider that fair because your dress might indicate you have a lower opinion of me.

Does this make sense to u, you, thee, or whatever term thou wishest to use?

CJ
  #47  
Old 02-21-2004, 02:04 PM
Smeghead Smeghead is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Certainly, you're free to use these adolescent shorthands to save the precious milliseconds it takes to type those two extra letters. Similarly, I am free to feel that doing so makes you look like a damn moron. I am also free to mock you if I wish, in the correct forum.
  #48  
Old 02-21-2004, 02:06 PM
Civil Defense Civil Defense is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmGeek
He cares only that his way is right and if [petulant 8 year old]you don't like it don't play with me anymore[/petulant 8 year old].
I am communicating. You understand what I'm typing, and you're replying. Are we not playing the same game? You're suggesting that your way is the only way that can possibly be "right" in terms of effective communication. You've shown this to be incorrect, yourself, by interpreting "u" to be "you" on a level of meaning. You've said that if I don't play your way, then you'll ignore my posts. Sounds about the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilsa_Lund
Oh brother.
What, you want an example? Alright. In my last job alone, we frequently communicated with the managers via e-mail. Ignoring the fact that they, alone, used "u" and "r" frequently in memos to us, a quick archived e-mail search brings up a letter from the corporate VP, a man who got where he is today surely with the help of some intelligence, to our store's staff with the following line: u guys are doing great!!!

Wow, thanks for pointing out that an executive of a nationwide corporation hasn't enough intelligence to even be worthy of an SDMB post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlyverbose
Then why do you keep responding to them?
Because I suppose I opened the can of worms, myself, with this thread.
  #49  
Old 02-21-2004, 02:13 PM
Civil Defense Civil Defense is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civil Defense
Wow, thanks for pointing out that an executive of a nationwide corporation hasn't enough intelligence to even be worthy of an SDMB post.
In a reply to myself, I'll go ahead and point out that I didn't mean to equate business position with intelligence; rather, with respect.
  #50  
Old 02-21-2004, 02:14 PM
Ilsa_Lund Ilsa_Lund is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
I hereby award Civil Defense the "Ilsa_Lund Award For Dumbshit of the Year."
Closed Thread



Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@chicagoreader.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Publishers - interested in subscribing to the Straight Dope?
Write to: sdsubscriptions@chicagoreader.com.

Copyright © 2013 Sun-Times Media, LLC.