Who owns target stores?

recently i received a chain email, about a fellow soliciting donations for the vietnam veterans memorial. apparently this man didn’t like the response he got from the target stores, because they chose not to donate to this particular cause. he was urging people to boycott target because they support gay/lesbian charities but not the american veterans. he went on to say, that after further investigation, target was owned by a french corporation. it went on from there to a tongue lashing of the french, as in, where would the french be without the american veteran.

I had always thought that target was a subsidiary of the dayton-hudson corporation based in minneapolis, i know that the daytons stores were sold to marshall fields, but i wondered if target went with it.

i would love to find out that none of this is true so i could inform the sender of this email, and therefore, discourage him from sending me this sort of thing in the future.

Target was founded by Dayton-Hudson while bruce Dayton was in his “experimentation” mode. (He founded B. Dalton Bookseller a few years later.)

You can find the history and ownership of Target Stores at this Target Store website, the history notes that Target is simply the new name for Dayton-Hudson with no mention of a foreign buyout.

I think this link will answer most of your questions…

BTW, you have this reversed:

Dream on! People who enjoy passing on ill-founded rumors are never deterred by facts.

wow that was fast!!

thank you very much.

as far as not deterring the “friend” that emailed it to me…

well it can’t hurt to try :D. also, tom n deb, thanks for clearing up my marshall fields/dayton mix up. i appreciate that.

The internet is your friend. To learn about who owns Target stores, go to www.target.com & go to “Company information” (the links at the bottom of the home page).

T o learn about the hoax, or at least Target’s take on it (which I beleive), click on the community giving link & notice the section that talks about veteran’s programs.

The “details” link in that section tells all.

It took longer for me to write this than it took to go find it. It took no kidding 4 clicks. Not to be a jerk, but GQ is meant for hard or obscure questions that you can’t already answer via Google, or the library.

According to this story from MN public radio’s website, the Target corporation may soon consist of, well, just Target stores. Apparently, Marshall Fields just isn’t making the cut, and neither is Mervyn’s. I must admit, when they changed the name of all the different stores from Daytons or Hudsons to Marshall Fields, the store seemed to lose something. Growing up, Dayton’s was always the ‘Fancy Store’. Marshall Feild’s just seems ‘meh’.

[hijack]
As a regular reader and sometimes poster of GQ, I would like to disagree with the above. I read GQ because I like finding the answers to questions I hadn’t thought of. I like to think there are others like me. If it hadn’t been for this thread I wouldn’t have found out about this particular hoax.
GQ should be there first for the enjoyment of the readers rather than the convenience of the poster.
IMO, that is.
[end of hijack]

Actually GQ is meant for ANY question that has a FACT as an answer. The whole idea behind the straight dope was for people to read about questions they may never have thought of, or thought to ask. Since this has a legitimate FACT answer and some people may be interested in reading about Target it is a LEGITIMATE post.