The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 03-15-2004, 02:19 PM

All-Time Favorite SNL Skit?

Inspired by this thread, I started thinking about some of my favorite SNL moments. Of course, I was born the same year the show premiered, but my parents let me stay up late, and Comedy Central has done their best to spread the genius of the 70's and 80's casts to those who may not have been alive yet to see it.

So what are your favorites? My as-yet-incomplete list includes ...

--Land Shark. To this day, when my mother knocks on a door, she immediately says "Caaaaandygram."
--"Teenager from Outer Space" with Carrie Fisher singing in full Princess Leia regalia.
--Lord and Lady Douchebag still makes me giggle every time.
--Bill Murray belting out the Star Wars theme as Nick the Lounge Singer.
--Garrett Morris' "I'm gonna get me a shotgun" song.
--Gilda Radner as Judy, running from the wicked Queen of Germany.
--"Our top story tonight: Generalissimo Francisco Franco is still dead."
--And, of course, no SNL greatest hits list would be complete without "Jane, you ignorant slut." My brother used to call me that before either of us even knew what it meant.

I don't want to take all the good ones, so I'll stop right there.
Advertisements  
Old 03-15-2004, 02:20 PM

"Welcome to Celebrity Jeopardy. . ."
Old 03-15-2004, 02:28 PM

Call me juvenille if you must, but the Swayze/Farley Chippendale's dance off just about kills me everytime I see it.

Also, "I'm not that strong a swimmer". 'Nuff said
Old 03-15-2004, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk1245
"I'm not that strong a swimmer". 'Nuff said
That just made me shoot coffee out my nose. I had completely forgotten that.
Old 03-15-2004, 02:42 PM

"The Job Interview" with Chevy Chase and Richard Pryor. Nothing exemplifies SNL's early balsiness better than that.
Old 03-15-2004, 02:47 PM

My favorites are some of the commerical parodies :

Happy Fun Ball
NCI
Petchow Brand Rat Poison
Old Glory Robot Insurance
Bathroom Monkey
-Official Doper Brat #007- When life gives you harlequins, make a harlequinade.
I am the very model of the modern kaiju Gamera / I've a shell that's indestructible and endless turtle stamina. / I defend the little kids/ and I level downtown Tokyo/ in a giant free-for-all mega-kaiju rodeo.
Old 03-15-2004, 02:48 PM

My favorite is Chris Farley performing as a motivational speaker. These really had me laughing so hard I could hardly stand it.

"My name is Matt Foley, I'm 35 years old, I'm thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!!"

I also love the one from several years ago about all the dangerous toys (Bag O' Glass, etc.) There was also one with the late Phil hartman in it, where he is at some university interviewing a professor about various elements. He messes with every element on display. He tries to swipe the gold sample, he knocks a cubic foot block of the heaviest element (don't remember what it is) off its pedestal and it falls through several floors below them. When he lifts the cover off of a radioactive element several alarms go off. I'd love to see this one again.

The parodied commercials and Jack Handy's "Deep Thoughts" are also funny.
Old 03-15-2004, 02:56 PM

Best commercial parody:

Nerf crotch bat.
Old 03-15-2004, 03:05 PM

Here is a link to some of the videos including the crotch bat.
Old 03-15-2004, 03:09 PM

"Sorry Babs, but your uvula's on the fritz"
Old 03-15-2004, 03:10 PM

Two words for you:

Colon Blow
Old 03-15-2004, 03:13 PM

Hey, what about Phil Hartman's hilarious "Robot Repair"? A program, not about repairing robots, but one in which a robot repairs things. They keep changing the title to more accurately reflect this, with worse results; Let's Repair Robots and This Old Robot. Hartman was great in this well written, great concept. But then he almost always was.
Old 03-15-2004, 03:24 PM
Keeper of the Bancrook

Mr. Robinson's Neighborhood

Ya know, I just finish cleaning up the spit-take I did from "Lord and Lady Douchebag", and seconds later "The Job Interview" causes another one...sheesh...
Old 03-15-2004, 03:25 PM

I really liked the recent "Colonel Angus" skit. I remember laughing out loud at that one and thinking, "Now that's some good work!" Then, I got an even bigger laugh the next day when I read about "the controversy". Then I frowned. It's a shame that entertainers can't just entertain like they used to.

Anyhoo...
Canada's #1 Nashville Predators Fan
"You can never have too many pucks."
Old 03-15-2004, 03:33 PM

Favorite skit: one with Dana Carvey and John Larroquette. Carvey plays an angel, Larroquette plays a guy who just died. He gets to ask the angel anything he wants, and the questions he goes through are great. "Dogs or cats?" "Dogs." "Beatles or Stones?" "Beatles." "What's the most disgusting thing I ever ate without realizing it?" "You don't want to know."

Favorite commercial parody: The change bank. People ask them how they make money. The secret? Volume.
Old 03-15-2004, 03:34 PM

James Brown's Celebrity Hot Tub Party

Should I get in the hot tub?
Will it make me sweat?
Should I get in the hot tub?
Will it make me wet?
Old 03-15-2004, 03:39 PM

I could never pick an all-time "best" skit, but these come to mind as especially memorable.

"That's True, You're Absolutely Correct."

La Vida Gilda

Jewess Jeans

the Java Junkie

Buckwheat is dead (brought to you by "Timex: Life goes on, and Timex is there-- because Buckwheat would have wanted it that way.)

"Kill my landlord, kill my landlord - C-I-L-L - kill!"

the Frank Sinatra round table, with Sinead (cue-ball) O'Conner, Billy Idol (played by Sting), Tupac Shakur, and Steve & Edie.

Eddie Murphy: "White Like Me."

Zsa Zsa Gabor, Leona Helmsley, Jim & Tammy Faye Bakker go on the run

Toonces the Driving Cat

and of course,

Mr. Bill: Ohhhhhh, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-15-2004, 03:49 PM

Not the funniest skit I've ever seen, but Blue Oyster Cult is my favorite.
Old 03-15-2004, 03:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwc1970
I also love the one from several years ago about all the dangerous toys (Bag O' Glass, etc.) There was also one with the late Phil hartman in it, where he is at some university interviewing a professor about various elements. He messes with every element on display. He tries to swipe the gold sample, he knocks a cubic foot block of the heaviest element (don't remember what it is) off its pedestal and it falls through several floors below them. When he lifts the cover off of a radioactive element several alarms go off. I'd love to see this one again.
That's Phil Hartman doing Peter Graves. Here's the transcript of the skit:
http://snltranscripts.jt.org/86/86mdiscover.phtml
Quote:
Dr. Charles Claproth: Peter, elements are the substances which cannot be separated into two or more substances.
Peter Graves: Like, say, a pencil?
My recent favorite was the Saddam & Osama TV Funhouse cartoon (http://snltranscripts.jt.org/02/02sfunhouse.phtml). My all time favorite is probably the one where they got Joe Montana to say the line "I'm going upstairs to masturbate!"
Old 03-15-2004, 03:51 PM

Their recent "Blue Oyster Cult- Behind the Music" parody takes it for me.

"I got a fevuh. And the only prescription... is more COWBELL."

If they ever put together a "Best Of" Christopher Walken SNL collection, my life will be complete. The guy is comic plutonium.
Old 03-15-2004, 04:02 PM
I Am the One Who Bans

So many great ones already mentioned- but no Samurai Delicatessen? Or Samuri TV Repairman?

Hartman was also very funny as the Anal Retentive Chef/Carpenter/whatever.

I'm not into the recent stuff, but John Goodman was great as Linda Tripp.
Old 03-15-2004, 04:06 PM

Fred Garvin, male prostitute.
Old 03-15-2004, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Vandelay, Architect
Buckwheat is dead (brought to you by "Timex: Life goes on, and Timex is there-- because Buckwheat would have wanted it that way.)
I LOVE that one! "Ouch, I've been shot!" I was probably 12 years old at the time and my brother and I thought that was one of funniest things we'd ever seen on TV. John David Stutts.

BabaBooey,
Just yesterday, I heard that song and told my husband, I can't even listen to it anymore without thinking of cowbell and Will Farrell's unintentional belly shirt.
Old 03-15-2004, 04:35 PM

I gotta throw in a vote for the Jim Carrey-hosted sketch for the diet program 'Ride the Snake'.. the exchange between him and Will Ferrell is priceless.

And in a more classic SNL vein, the Weekend Update with Tom Hanks and Dana Carvey playing extra copies of Dennis Miller.
Old 03-15-2004, 04:39 PM

I think I laughed the hardest where Adam Sandler played Michael Keaton's grandmother, and Chris Farley kept upsetting her while Keaton was making out with his girlfriend in the other room, so he kept beating Farley up.

"I WANT THE BLOO ONE!"
Old 03-15-2004, 04:41 PM

What the hell is that?! No really, I mean it. What the hell is that thing?
Old 03-15-2004, 04:44 PM

Phil Hartman as Charlton Heston reading the book-on-tape version of Madonna's Sex book. "I like to play with my vagina."

Kevin Spacey as Christopher Walken auditioning for Han Solo in Star Wars. "She's the ship that did the Kessel Run... in under 5 pahsecs... she's fast enough for you... old man."
Old 03-15-2004, 04:50 PM

My favorite is a lesser known Dana Carvey skit in which he plays Tom Brokaw. The very premise of the skit made me crack up, but Carvey's execution left me incapacitated for a few minutes.

The idea is that Brokaw wants to go on vacation for several months, so they are pre-recording him doing headlines of stories that MIGHT happen while he's away. When we the audience begin viewing the session, they are recording headlines for the evetuality that Gerald Ford dies during Brokaw's vacation. It starts out with fairly plausible things like:

"Former president Gerald Ford died today at age 83."

Then it gets progressively sillier and sillier:

"Former president Gerald Ford died today from an overdose of crack cocaine."

And...

Former president Gerald Ford was eaten by wolves today.... Now come on, how likely is that?!"

Every line was sillier than the last and I was a goner after after only a minute or so. Terrific premise with a killer Brokaw impression by Carvey.
Old 03-15-2004, 04:56 PM

My favorite skit is the one with Hercules (who was out of shape at the time), having to lift a boulder to pass a test.
Old 03-15-2004, 05:00 PM

A handful off the top of my head

Gilda Radner as Lucy, being interviewed be Baba Wawa.

Gilda Rader as a "Connie Frances type" washed up singer selling a greatest hits album on an infomercial.

John Belushi as Eliabeth Taylor, being interviewed by Bill Murray, while choking on a chicken bone.

Garrett Morris, as Diana Ross, being interviewed by Bill Murray. "Caveat Honky"

The whole send up of Three Mile Island. Garret Morris as a clean up lady.

Dan Akroyd as Nixon, in "The Final Days"

Eddie Murphy in Mr. Robinsons nieghborhood.

Eddie Murphy as Little Richard Simmons.

Came to think of it, just about anything he (Murphy) did.

Coffee Chat? -- Mike Myers, Roseanne, Madanna, and Barbra Sreisand.
Old 03-15-2004, 05:18 PM

I love the You Win a Dollar! gameshow sketch with Brad Hall. It's freaking hilarious.

"Final Question: What color am I thinking of?"

"Ummm, Yellow?"

"Ooooohh, sorry! It was more of an off-yellow."
Old 03-15-2004, 05:27 PM
Charter Member

A lot of my favorites have already been mentioned. But what about Samurai Divorce Court, or Samurai Big Man on Campus?

Then there was Dan Ackroyd and Larraine Newman as Sigmund Freud and his young daughter Anna. "Well, Anna, sometimes a banana is just a banana."
Old 03-15-2004, 05:31 PM

I can't say it's my favorite, there's been so many, but the first one that came to mind was the one with Nicolas Cage and Julia Sweeney, where they are trying to think of a name for the kid she's about to give birth to. Cage keeps rejecting names because of ways other kids could make fun of them, making really big stretches to turn names into insults.

Then at the end of the sketch, there's a knock at the door: "Telegram for Asswipe Smith!" Cage then says, "It's pronounced 'Azz-weepay!"

For years, I called people Azzweepay.
Old 03-15-2004, 05:44 PM

Theodoric of York, Medieval Barber/Judge

And an Eddie Murphy sketch I only saw once where he is hired to take care of two old people. "What time is it? I want a jelly donut." Anyone else remember that one?
Old 03-15-2004, 05:45 PM

Who can forget Jim Belushi taking the piss out of Joe Cocker while Cocker is on stage singing? Pretty damn funny!

All-time favorite? Too hard to pick just one. I really like "Moa COWBELL!", "Robot Insurance" (I swear you can see Waterson almost bust up) and "Perhaps I can lift a smaller rock instead". "Ride the Snake" is the only thing I've seen Jim Carey do that was even close to funny.
Old 03-15-2004, 05:54 PM
Charter Member

Come on...the absolute classic is Alec Baldwin and his sweaty balls.

It is the high point of Christmas comedy to see that skit again!
Old 03-15-2004, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revtim
Then at the end of the sketch, there's a knock at the door: "Telegram for Asswipe Smith!" Cage then says, "It's pronounced 'Azz-weepay!"
It was Asswipe Johnson. (one of the benefits of having Johnson as a last name are the Asswipe Johnson jokes)

I can't think of a sketch that's made me laugh harder than the CBS Evening Anthrax Report:

"This just in, and it is a big one. Carl, get off the phone, Mabel, get into the kitchen ,you're gonna want to hear this. CBS News is now projecting that Walter Cronkite has... scurvy."

"CBS News now projects that over at NBC, the entire cast of "Friends" has head lice."
Old 03-15-2004, 06:04 PM

Another vote for Star Wars camera tests, Lord and Lady Douchebag, and many product spoofs.

Rich Hall's deadpan spoof of David Byrne in Talking Heads' video for "Once In a Lifetime".

The "beans diner" skit. Anybody else remember that one?

And, last but not least, Mick impersonating Keith.
Old 03-15-2004, 06:30 PM
BANNED

How about Heather Locklear as a racist infomercial pitch person: "You couldn't get it cheeper from a drunken indian!"

Steve Martin as Socrates. "Hemlock is poison?!??"

The "Jarod's Room" sketch with Phish and Al Gore: "Dude! Chuck Norris ran into me with his van!"
Old 03-15-2004, 06:43 PM
Charter Member

I'm gonna name a few from the "lost season" of Anthony Michael Hall and Randy Quaid, because no one else will.

One of the best gameshows SNL ever did was "You Bet Your Finger!". Thing was, the little guillotine kept malfunctioning and cutting off the guy's finger before a question was even asked. They kept calling out the repairman ("What do you think the problem is, Brian?" "Looks like gravity, Bob."). Finally, he got it fixed. And when a question finally was asked, the host misheard the answer and cut off the guy's finger anyway. "Judges? He did? Oh, sorry! My faux pas!"

From the very same show, the serious issue-oriented talk show, "You Can Pick Your Friends, You Can Pick Your Nose, But You Can't Pick Your Friends' Noses". Jon Lovitz hosted the show, and he tried to run a serious discussion about the American criminal justice system, but his guests (who were old friends) kept stealthily trying to pick each others' noses.

"That's all she wrote because we have reached....The Limits Of The Imagination!!!"
Old 03-15-2004, 07:36 PM

Most of my favorites have already been mentioned like MO COWBELL, and Happy Fun Ball. But you guys left out Caveman Lawyer! How can you overlook those sketches?!?

Also, the ones with Farley as an old wife trying to sell Zaggots coupon books while bugging the crap out of his husband played by Sandler were great to. Even Sandler and Farley were cracking up in those. I always smile whenever I remember "I've got stupid in stereo!" and "I'm in the middle of a moron sandwhich!".

There was also a sketch I saw one time a few years back during Thanksgiving that had me rolling. It was a commercial for a little display of jesus in the a manger in a barn, and baby jesus made a crying noise, only it wasn't really a crying noise as much as it was the sound you get when you flip one of those noise making pipes upside down. So when Jesus cried, it sounded like "WWWWAAAAAWOOOOOOOOOOOO....WOOOOOOOOOOOWAAAAAAAAAAHH". And it was advertised as making this noise 24/4 . Wish I could see that one again.
Old 03-15-2004, 07:48 PM

I'm quite fond of Wake Up and Smile, in which Will Ferrel, Nancy Walls and David Alan Grier play the hosts of a typically insipid morning show. During a segue into cooking tips, the teleprompter breaks, forcing the hosts to ad-lib.

Will: Uh... you know, Diane... I had a notion the other day...
Nancy: Uh... well... uh...notions make... uh... this country happen.
Will: I... I was thinking someone should get a group together... uh... with guns to sweep out those ghettos...

The continued failure of the teleprompter starts to create panic.

Nancy: What are we going to do? There's no WORDS!
Will: We MUST USE THE FURNITURE TO BUILD A BARRICADE!
David: If we wait, surely they will send help, and make the words so that we can be safe!
Will: We can't wait! If we wait, WE DIE! I'm the dominant one, so I'll be the leader!
Nancy: I'm so hungry...
Will: We WILL LIVE! We WILL LIVE!

After a brief commercial break:

Will: THE ORDER OF THE HAND WILL RULE! The animals of the zoo guy, Danny Usher, will sustain us.
David: But WHAT if the BOX STILL refuses to give us any words?
Will: [turning to face David] You CHALLENGE my authority?!
David: [sniffing Will] I smell from your scent that you are weak! I challenge you!

Will and David fall to the ground, struggling. Will rises, holding David's severed head.

Will: THE WEATHERMAN IS DEAD! I KILLED THE WEATHERMAN! HIS STRENGTH IS IN ME!!! [starts to gnaw on severed head]

At this point, the prompter is fixed and Will and Nancy try to resume discussing cooking tips, numb and tearful over what they've done.
Old 03-15-2004, 07:57 PM
Charter Member

My choice was Slumber Party, where the the women in the cast (plus Madeline Kahn) are playing teenage girls. Wonderful and quite charming:

Madeline: . . . so then, the man gets bare naked in bed with you and you both go to sleep, which is why they call it sleeping together. . . then the man . . . (WHISPERS) . . . in you and then you scream and he screams and then it's over.
Larraine: That's disgusting.

Jane: Well, I just know it can't be true, because nothing that sickening is true.
Madeline: Boogers are true.

Madeline: But the worst thing is -- your parents do it, you know?
Gilda: Come on!
Madeline: Gilda, think. None of us would be here unless our parents did it at least once.
(MOMENT OF SILENCE AS THEY CONSIDER THE HORRO)
Jane: My parents did it at least twice! I have a sister.

I'm also a big fan of the Land of Gorch skits with the R-rated MuppetsTM
Old 03-15-2004, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revtim
I can't say it's my favorite, there's been so many, but the first one that came to mind was the one with Nicolas Cage and Julia Sweeney, where they are trying to think of a name for the kid she's about to give birth to. Cage keeps rejecting names because of ways other kids could make fun of them, making really big stretches to turn names into insults.

For years, I called people Azzweepay.
I thought of that every time I read baby name boards when I was pregnant. I always remembered it as being Kevin Nealon in the sketch, but it's been a long time since I've seen it.

What about Massive Headwound Harry? Dana Carvey (IIRC), with a huge, bloody thing on the side of his head, at a cocktail party. I think he tries on someone's hat, and everyone is disgusted, then someone drops something and he leans over to grab it and his massive headwound lands right in the plate of shrimp, and then he decides to have a nap on their light colored couch, rubbing the massive headwound all over it. As they cut out, the dog comes over and starts eating it off of his head.
It was brought to you by Bigfatbean. Why eat lots of little beans when you can have one Bigfatbean? (At least I think that's what it was. Google pulls up nothing, though.)
Old 03-15-2004, 08:24 PM

The Bassomatic! I swear, ever since then I have not been able to look at a bass or a blender without thinking "Bassomatic!"

Somewhat more recently, I laugh until I cry every time I see Will Ferrell's Harry Caray impression, particularly the one with Jeff Goldblum. The very best part is that about halfway through, Goldblum just gives up the ghost and gapes at Ferrell as if he had lost his mind right there on the set.
Old 03-15-2004, 08:34 PM

The Life and Times of Johnny Hildo
Old 03-15-2004, 08:47 PM

Brocktoon

It just doesn't get funnier than Mr. Belvedere fanatics.
Old 03-15-2004, 09:00 PM

William Shatner dressing down a roomful of Trekkies.
Old 03-15-2004, 09:41 PM
Charter Member

I still remember the Three Mile Island sketch; "Mrs Carter, we've brought in comedian Rodney Dangerfield to brief you on the President's condition."

Or Dan Aykroyd as Julia Childs; "I've just cut the dickens out of my thumb."
Old 03-15-2004, 09:42 PM

My brother and I (7 and 12 at the time) thought the funniest thing we ever saw was the skit that got interupted for the breaking news of Buckwheat getting shot.
It had Brad Hall with his own talk show inviting 3 of his friends on. One made farting noises under his arm, one had milk come out of his nose if he laughed, and one would drink anything. You know the rest.