What are you reading?

What book are you reading right now? Describe it in brief – do you recommend it?

I just finished off Devil in the White City, and now I’m working on Issac’s Storm, both by Erik Larson.

Devil is simultaneously about the main architect behind the construction of Chicago’s World’s Fair in 1893 (I think '93, I’m not one for dates) and H. H. Holmes the mass murderer who preyed on travelers coming to the event. It’s a great read, and almost unbelievable that it’s true.

Issac’s Storm is about the hurricane that devastated Galveston in 1900. It’s named after the weather forecaster who apparently vastly underestimated the power of the storm coming toward the island. I’m only a few chapters in, but it’s a good read so far.

Fierce Invalids Home From Hot Climates by Tom Robbins

It’s hilarious.

Oh, and I forgot to mention, I highly recommend both books.

And while I’m at it - here’s an excerpt from a description of Issac’s Storm:

Also, has anyone read Richard Clarke’s book yet? Is it worth buying? Do libraries get that kind of book in regularly?

I read more mundane material. I have Rainbow 6 by Tom Clancy next to my bed and I’m reading Pyramids by Terry Practchett for my lunch reading.

An Underworld at War: Spivs, Deserters, Racketeers and Civilians in the Second World War, Donald Thomas (John Murray, £8.99, £7.19 on Amazon’s U.K. website.)

I am close to halfway through this excellent book, which is all about criminality in Britain during World War II. Widespread popular distaste for and flouting of rationing rules, methods for avoiding conscription, food racketeering, crime in air-raid shelters, looting and dishonest contractors are among the topics covered so far. Lots of excellent details, such as police and criminals drinking in the same bars and the time one legendary cop, Detective Chief Inspector Ted Greeno (love that name), had his car stolen while he was in a South London pub talking to an informer. “His criminal acquaintances apologized but blamed him for having changed from a high-powered Wolseley or Railton to an Austin without giving them notice,” Thomas notes.

All in all, a thoroughly good read and one I definitely recommend. The author also has published The Victorian Underworld, which I may buy now.

Just finished Strangers: Homosexual Love in the 19th Century, which I’d recommend if you’re interested in gay and/or Victorian social history.

Just started Inside the Victorian Home, which again, is very good if you like that sort of thing.

Just started The Confusion: Part 2 of the Baroque Cycle by Neal Stephenson. Historical novel set in 17th Century Europe.

I’m reading First Blood by David Morell, the novel that the first Rambo movie was based on. I’m really enjoying it, since Rambo isn’t the hero of the book. Both he and the sheriff are pricks who are goading each other.

I’m not done with it yet, but I would recommend it based on what I’ve read so far (about halfway through).

I just finished Life of Pi by Yann Martel, and The Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom.

The story of Life of Pi is beautiful and strange, and like nothing I’ve ever read. I got it from the library, but I will be going out to buy a copy to add to my collection.

The Five People You Meet in Heaven is a spiritual book that made me think a bit about why I’m here. Very uplifting. But once was enough.

I’m off to the library to trade these in for new material!

I just finished Odd Thomas by Koontz. Pretty good if you are into the genre.
Ohh ya, guy sees dead people. Saves the day.

I just started Mystic River by Lehane. Loved the movie, figured the book would be even better. So far they are pretty even. Very well written. You can tell that Eastwood really understood the darkness and despair in the subtext.

I am currently half way through Zamyatin’s anti-utopia We

It is the book that inspired 1984 and Clockwork Orange. It is very much on par with the above works. In it the twist is that science has replaced all other aspects of life and art,religion and peer bonding are all predetermined through math and formulas. Freedom is despised in society as people were persuaded that the only freedom there is is freedom to do wrong so they embraced “The Glorious Unfreedom” of an almost 100% predetermined life.

The main character does things like fall in love, dream in his sleep and question the system while his very nature keeps telling him that 100% loyalty is the only way to go. I am very curious to how this book will end and would recommend it to any fans of anti-utopean fiction.

Just finished Christian Zen by William Johnston. It’s a lovely synthesis of Christian mysticism and Zen of various flavors.

Before that, American Gods by Neil Gaiman. Very, umm “different”. I’m going out this weekend to buy more by him.

I’m about a quarter of the way through Shinjuu by Laura Joh Rowland. It’s a murder mystery story set in 17th-century Tokyo. So far (a little over 100 pages in) it’s… okay. It reads like a combination of heavily-researched paper for history class and a first novel. She knows her material, and it’s an interesting idea (Columbo meets Yojimbo), and the story flows well enough, but it’s just shy of being completely enjoyable. Most of the characters are pretty two-dimensional, and there’s a really cheesy sex scene straight out of a Harlequin romance. But it’s interesting enough so far, and I’m not going to give up yet.

Recommended for fans of Tokugawa-era Japanese history, or if you’re a mystery fan who’s looking for a new take on it.

After this, I’m going to get back to Pratchett. I just finished The Last Continent as my fifth Discworld book in a row, and I needed to take a break.

I’ve finally gotten around to starting the final volume of Colleen McCullough’s Masters of Rome series. Which is really a six-book novelization of the life of Caesar. Would I recommend it? Only to those with an interest in ancient Rome and a long attention span. If you meet these qualifications, you’ll be in heaven. Caveat lector: take notes…you’ll need them.

Right now, I’m knee deep in Super System by Doyle Brunson, as I’m trying to get my playing up to tournament level. When I need a break, I’m interspersing it with The DaVinci code (which I highly reccommend), and The Infinity Concerto by Greg Bear, which I’d forgotten about til I saw it mentioned in a thread here. Really good book, hadn’t read it in ages.

Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse. Quite good, relaxing and uplifting. I have about fifteen or twenty pages left.

Also I’m reading A Farewell To Arms by Hemingway for school. I’ve read it before but I’m thoroughly enjoying it the second time…it’s one of my favorite books ever.

Last weekend I finally read The Catcher in the Rye. While it was good, I can’t see why people rave about it so much. It’s kind of hard to like Holden when he’s so prejudiced and whiny.

On a side note, I have three books that are due back to the library in a week: Paradise Lost, Death of A Salesman, and the Aeneid. I’ll probably only have time to read one…so which should it be?

Not to hijack or anything. :slight_smile:

Recently finished “Angels and Demons” by Dan Brown. As good as DaVinci Code.
Also recently finished “The Italian” by Anne Radcliffe. Not bad for a romance novel written over 200 years ago.

Currently reading “Expiration Date” by Tim Powers, the greatest novelist of our time. Yes, I like it. I like it alot.

Next up is “Ringworld” I think. People keep recommending it, so I’ll give it a shot.

I’m reading David Rakoff’s Fraud. It’s a collection of essays that range from the author’s experiences of playing Freud in a Barney’s Christmas window display one year to those of attending a New Age retreat with none other than Steven Seagal as a featured speaker to those of traveling to Iceland to report on the enchanted Hidden People.

Next, I’ll be reading Sedaris’s Naked.

Right now I’m reading Double Fold, which is a nonfiction book on the abandonment of books by libraries for microfilm, while destroying hundreds of thousands of original books in the gruesome process.

I previously read Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco. It is a murder mystery in a 17th century abbey, but has an extremely deep intellectual level, with the pursuit of knowledge portrayed – how far one would go for knowledge. So far it’s the most defining book of my college career.

/S