Whatcha readin' gang?

We haven’t done this since Easter (unless I missed it.)

I just finished:

Jim Butcher’s Proven Guilty. Love Butcher’s stuff and this one was enjoyable.

John Myers Myers’ Silverlock. Was recommended this here and I have to confess that I didn’t enjoy it nearly as much as the person who recommended it. I didn’t hate it, but I didn’t love it.

5-HTP The natural way to overcome depression, obesity and insomnia. I have found it to help with my depression, but haven’t seen it work with my obesity.

Authentic Happiness. I was hoping for something more, but I’m not sure what. Maybe instructions, I dunno. I didn’t enjoy it.

The Sisters Grimm. I fun little story about Fairy-Tale detectives. I know - it was for kids, but I enjoyed it anyway. And will read the others.

I’m in the middle of:
Teh Best Guide to Mediation. Not too bad, a little redundant after a while. I will probably skim the last half.

Byrnes Complete Book of Pool Shots. I’m trying to get good again. I was never great, but I was a fair shot in college. I need a hobby and what the heck, 9 ball is as good as anything.

Working for the Devil. It has started slow, but shows some promise. I’ll give an update later.

What are you reading?

I haven’t had a lot of time for reading lately, but on my desk currently is a book called “Six Thousand Years of Bread: Its Holy and Unholy History” by H.E. Jacob.

I just finished John Sandford’s Broken Prey, and I have now started Carol O’Connell’s Shell Game. Dunno why, but in the summertime I read a boatload of mystery/thriller novels. In the winter, I go for nonfiction and “serious” novels.

As I just mentioned earlier today in this thread, I am currently on a reread of Neal Stephenson’s Cryptonomicon. Further, thanks to that thread, I’ll almost surely launch into his Baroque Cycle once I’m done.

Otherwise, I’m flipping through various golf magazines to try and improve myself in my new hobby. Golf Digest being my favorite of the lot.

Per the quest outlined here, I’m reading three separate but interconnected trilogies by Sheri S. Tepper, one of my all-time favorite sci-fi/fantasy writers. I just started the second book in the second trilogy.

I have read them all, and mostly only enjoyed the first trilogy. But it was a fun world and has a lot of potential.

“unseen danger” by david dekok right now.

happily zipped through “book of the dead” by preston-child, awaiting the new janet evanovich later this month. got a sneak peak at james rollins’ “black order” rather enjoyed that.

Re-reading Neil Gaiman’s Smoke and Mirrors and Anansi Boys.

Reading editor Norman Yetman’s Voices From Slavery: 100 Authentic Slave Narratives. I own several books of slave narratives but have never finished any of them. My favorite narrative so far, early on: is when 91-year old Mary Anderson reminisces about her beloved mistress Miss Olivia, who rejects an offer from Mary’s former owner Old Polly to buy back Mary. "Miss Olivia say, “I’ll wade through blood as deep as hell before I let you have Mary.”

The Years Best Science Fiction, 17th edition (1999)

Also, a biology textbook, for some reason.

Currently I’m reading A Godly Hero: The Life of William Jennings Bryan. This is a fantastic biography about the Democrats’ failed presidential nominee for 1896, 1900 and 1908, as well as one of the most prominent forces behind America’s Progressive movement. Of course, on the downside, Bryan also tolerated Jim Crow with barely a peep, and he did fight against John Scopes in the famous Scopes Monkey Trial, so I’ve got some powerfully ambivalent feelings about the man. His is a fascinating story, and since he was one of the central figures of his time, you get to know quite a bit about those times. Bryan was the one who gave the original “Cross of Gold” speech.

Before this, I read the novel Wonder Boys by Michael Chabon. It was delightful, and as a bonus, about a third of the book was set in my native Mercer County, Pennsylvania. Those are always delightful discoveries.

Apart from that, I’ve been mostly reading magazines:

The New Republic
The New Yorker
Harper’s
The Atlantic Monthly
The Economist
The American Prospect

I’m a political junkie, in case you couldn’t tell. I also read (and post) a lot at the Daily Kos.

In the middle of reading Dante’s Inferno. It’s hard to find time during the day to get into it, so I’ve been reading at least one canto before bed. Makes for weird dreams. Also reading Name of the Rose - a book I’ve put off reading for at least two years.

Just finished:

Basket Case by Carl Hiaasen. I started reading Hiaasen on the recommendation of an old friend; he writes vastly entertaining comic mysteries set in south Florida. I definitely want to read more.

The Bad Guys Won by Jeff Pearlman. A fascinating account of the 1986 New York Mets. As a long-time Mets fan, I was in heaven and, living in Schenectady at the time, I never got word of some of their antics. His chapter on the 6th game of the World Series was almost as exciting to read as it was to see it in the first place.

The Contract with God Trilogy: A Contract With God, A Life Force, Life on Dropsie Avenue by Will Eisner. Three of the best graphic novels ever (Eisner is credited by the OED with coining the term). It’s about live in a Bronx tenement. The title story is really a collection of shorter works, but the other two are fascinating mosaics of characters who interact in suprising ways. It’s also surprisingly relevant, especially with today’s debate about immigration. It’s a library book, but I plan to buy it one day.

The Best of the Spirit by Will Eisner. His early work. The Spirit was a comic book he wrote in the 40s that was years ahead of its time.

Red Lightning by John Varley. I have to admit this was a disapointment. Varley is the author who changed my life, and his Red Thunder was a nice romp. But the sequel is dull and tedious.

Next up:

The Baby Merchant by Kit Reed. Her last novel, Thinner than Thou, was one of the best SF books of last year – old fashioned social satire science fiction with great characters and a lot to say. I expect this to be pretty damn good.

Krazy Kat : The Comic Art of George Herriman. I’m a big fan of the kat; this collects his adventures, many in full color.

BTW, any serious reader needs to stay away from Bookcloseouts.com; you’ll blow you salary there. Easily. :slight_smile:

Fortune’s Favorites, by Colleen McCullough. After that, probably the next Masters of Rome book, whichever it is.

I’ve been reading Thrilling Adventures by Land and Sea at Project Gutenberg, an anthology of some 60-odd true stories of daring adventure, originally published in the early 19th century. I’m also reading Under the Black Flag by David Cordingly, probably one of the best books on the history of pirates.

Just about everything I’ve read in the past month or so has been because of a Doper recommendation. I should stay out of these threads and save some money.

In the Fall – Jeffrey Lent

In the Lake of the Woods – Tim O’Brien

The Last Witchfinder, City of Truth, This is the Way the World Ends, and Bible Stories for Adults – all by James Morrow – my new favorite author

Crows – Charles Dickinson

The Secret History – Donna Tartt

Expiration Date – Tim Powers

Floating Dragon – Peter Straub (a re-read)

Mrs. Bridge – Evan Connell

All of these (except Secret History) were very satisfying.

Tonight I’m starting The Widow’s Adventures by Charles Dickinson, thanks to a recommendation from lissener in the old people books thread. :slight_smile:

Does listing on Audio book count?

I’m just starting the last book of George RR Martins *Of Fire and Ice: A feast for crows *
Before that I read:

A Game of Thrones
A Clash of Kings
and
A Storm of Swords

A fantastic series if I may say, full of swords, kings, and well thrones. I highly recommend it. All by George RR Martin

Really? The Peter story was good, but I’m also really enjoying Jinian’s story.

What amazes me that it’s her first work – and that she went on in such interesting directions afterward. Some people would have rested on their laurels after such a debut.

The History of Love: Pretty good novel about a novel. I like the writing style, and the story kept me mostly going. Got a little slow at the end. I’d give it a 6.5 out of 10.

My Life in France: Julia Child writing about her marriage and life in France. I blew through this one. Very easy read, very interesting. I’d recommend it to anyone even moderately interestind in Julia Child or French Cuisine.

Mayflower:I’ve been waiting for this one to come out. A history of the Pilgrims, told by the same guy who wrote In the Heart of the Sea. I’m about 1/3 through, and so far it’s an interesting read. I knew the Pilgrims had a hard time, but I didn’t know very much at all about the details.

I just finished The Irresistible Revolution: Living as an Ordinary Radical by Shane Claiborne. I know Shane and think he’s awesome, but I could never do what he does, so it left me feeling rather guilty, which it was supposed to.

Now I’m reading a book of Arthur Honegger’s letters to his parents, which just arrived today from France. I feel slightly wrong about it even though he’s been dead for fifty years. (He was a Swiss/French composer whom I adore.) But there are pictures! Eee.

Currently I’m reading Kushiel’s Avatar on the bus in anticipation of getting Kushiel’s Scion in the next couple days, and at home I have Valentine’s Exile.