Another "whatcha reading?" thread

Me, I’ve been doing some SF. Reread Timothy Zahn’s Triplet a week ago, then read Peter Hamilton’s Mindstar Rising, and now I’m just finishing David Brin’s Glory Season. The next few books at the top of the pile are also SF.

At the moment I’m reading Freezer Burn by Joe R. Lansdale, IT by Stephen King and Lightning by Dean Koontz.

I usually read more than one book at a time. I’ve been called a freak. :stuck_out_tongue:

Lies, and the Lying Liars Who Tell Them: A Fair and Balanced Look at the Right- Al Franken

The Future of Freedom: Illiberal Democracy at Home and Abroad- Fareed Zakaria

The Bang-bang Club - story of four South African photographers and thier coverage of the violence in the Apartheid townships.

Don’t lets go to the dogs tonight - an account of a young girl growing up during Zimbabwe’s transition to independance.

Sometimes I wonder why I do this to myself…

Grim

“The Good House” by Tananarive Due. It’s a supernatural mystery thriller thing, with some ethnic issues thrown in for good mix. I’m only 3 chapters in, but I’m liking it so far.

I recently finished **The Curious Incident of the Dog In the Night Time ** by Mark Haddon. This was a good, quick read but I thought the first half of the book was much better than the last half.

I’m halfway through The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde, and actually enjoying it very much. However, I would have enjoyed it much more if the book reviews I read hadn’t spoiled all the good parts. :mad: Next will be the sequel, Lost In A Good Book, but I’m avoiding reading the reviews of that one.

Mug, those Jasper Fforde books are excellent! I’ve already read The Well of Lost Plots–had to order it from Amazon in the UK, but it was worth it. And don’t worry, I’m not telling you a thing except that the books are great!

I’ve just finished Dead Clever by Scarlett Thomas and it was a pretty good mystery/chick lit type novel.

I’m trying to get through the first Animorphs book because my son loves them and insists I will, too, but it just ain’t happening.

The Silver Pig by Lindsay Davis.

Recommended in another thread by a doper and I am finding it highly enjoyable.

Just finished “Lies” was outstandingly funny and on point. Best work of political satire I’ve read in years.

Now reading Tom Robbins, “Skinny Legs and All” a loaner from a hippy friend, truly an odd book, but wonderfully written.

Next on the list is Phillip Roth’s, “Portnoy’s Complaint” which my therapist absolutely demands I read.

Just finished a new bio of Alice Faye—well written and researched, but Alice had rather an uneventful life for a movie star.

Just started Posion, an interesting book about, well, poison.

‘stiff’ by mary roach. it’s all about what happens to dead bodies donated to science. it’s fantastic.

Currently reading The Boilerplate Rhino, a collection of natural history essays by David Quammen. Isabel knocked out the power to my library, so it’s been closed for over a week, but supposedly it’s re-opening today.

I need new books!

Reading Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire and listening to On a Pale Horse, Piers Anthony.

Slave Ship by K W Jeter, a Star Wars book mostly about Boba Fett

After that I have on tap:

Hard Merchandise by K W Jeter
Frankenstein
The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde

Before these I read The Mandalorian Armor and the first 2 Harry Potter books.

Under the Banner of Heaven by Jon Krakauer

Re-reading Cold Mountain by Charles Frasier
I am also trying to slog my way through Daughter of Fortune by Isabelle Allende but I’m a bit disappointed that it isn’t at all what I thought it was going to be.

And, thanks to recommendations from another Cafe Society thread, I am anxiously awaiting a copy of Trinity by Leon Uris, which I have high hopes for based on all the praise I’ve heard about it.

I just finished Nelson DeMille’s “Upcountry.”

The movie tie-in to Terminator 3.

Originally posted by aaaarg

It is! I loved it too.

I’m reading The First National Bank of Dad by David Owens, a non-fiction book about teaching your kids about money. So far so good.

I will be starting Quicksilver as soon as I can get to the bookstore today! Can’t wait. It looks awesome, and it’s BIIIIIIG.

Right now it’s “Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fates of Human Societies” by Justin Diamond and “Parliment of Whores” by P.J. O’Rourke.

Next up on the list is “The Dead Sea Scrolls in English” just to punish myself, haha!