Summer Edition of "Whatcha Reading?"

I am presently reading the children’s book: The Callahan Cousins: Summer Begins which is for ages 9-13ish.

And continuining on the series of Marcus Didius Falco by Lindsey Davis. I think I’m on The Dying Light in Corduba. Love it.

Twenty pages left in Beverly Swerling’s City of Dreams.

All the Robert Rankin books I can get my hands on.

Right now, Collapse: How Societies Choose To Fail Or Succeed by Jared Diamond

Nothing! I am very troubled by this, too. I need a book. I just finished Joe Queenan’s Confessions of a Cineplex Heckler about two weeks ago. The essays were very dated. I think I would have enjoyed it more if I were reading his humorous takes on current/recent flicks.

Just started in on Neal Stephenson’s The Confusion. At the rate I’m reading these days, this should last me through the rest of the year.

Shikar by Jack Warner (think Jaws, only with a Bengal tiger instead of a shark, and Georgia mountains instead of the Atlantic) – it’s good fun and appropriate for summer.

Sundial on a Grave: 1610 by Mary Gentle – engrossing, well-written historical, my first Gentle.

I’m one of those multiple books at a time readers.

Just finished The Light Fantastic, by Terry Pratchett.

The Last Manly Man, by Sparkle Hayter
The Serpent in the Crown, by Elizabeth Peters
About a Boy, by Nick Hornby (reminded of it on SDMB and had to reread)
a book of short stories by Asimov
Rhapsody, by Elizabeth Haydon
and a book by Margaret Maron. The latest Deborah Knott.

Finally got about to reading Ender’s Game over the past two days. Have also read a hanful of PJ O’Rourke books since last semester ended.

Captain Blood, who, by the way, is not the sharpest stick in the pile.

Let’s see…

East of Ealing - Robert Rankin (in the truck)
The Regiment: A Trilogy - John Dalmas (by the bed)
Sex, Drugs and Cocoa Puffs - Chuck Klosterman (by my chair)
1942 - Winston Groom ( a present from one of my students)(by my chair)
Finding Serenity - Jane Espenson (by the toilet)

June was Dean Koontz month for me…The Face, One Door Away From Heaven and The Taking.

Been on a Niven kick lately. Just finished “The Mote in God’s Eye” and am now reading the sequel “The Gripping Hand”

I’ve also read a bit of Pratchett’s “Equal Rites” for the SDMB Discworld Reading Club threads.

Just an ordinary day by shirley Jackson
Whores in history by Nickie Roberts
The goodbye body by Joan Hess
The picture of dorian gray by Oscar Wilde
Lady Bluebeard : the true story of love and marriage, death and flypaper by William C. Anderson

I will also be reading Janet Evanovich’s latest one when my library gets it.
YAY for Stephanie Plum!

I just started his new one, “Velocity”, after having finnished Jeannette Walls’ memoir “The Glass Castle”.

You really wanna know?

Emergency Care, Tenth Edition
The Maryland Medical Protocols for Emergency Medical Services Providers
Hazardous Materials for First Responders, and
Hazardous Materials Operations Student Workbook

Sounds like a little light reading, doesn’t it? :rolleyes:
I’m one week into a five-week EMT crash course, with HAZ-MAT training. When I’m done, I’ll be a certified EMT (hopefully, if I pass). Wish me luck.

Just started Collapse (well, I’m a couple of chapters in) – not as good as Guns, Germs, and Steel, IMHO.

Had a couple of good serendipitous library finds recently. Neither of these is a must-read, but if you seem 'em in the library, they’re worth picking up:

I’m not a big short story person, usually, but I was intrigued by the premise of *Had a Good Time* by Robert Olen Butler – short stories based on postcards from the early part of the last century. Some are definitely better than others – but the good ones are very good.

Another kind of oddball choice: a neo-noir called Die a Little by Megan Abbott (who’s apparently also written an academic study of the genre). Set in '50s LA, it’s narrated by a schoolteacher whose cop brother hooks up with a sultry dame with a shady past. Very well done, very absorbing.

Working through Brian Greene’s The Fabric of the Cosmos slowly (mostly during my daily break at work and sometimes for a few minutes before bed)–because most of my time is spent reading and taking notes on various books and articles regarding language revitalization. Nothing like spending the summer doing thesis research. yawn

I should clarify that I’m loving Greene’s book, and heartily recommend it. I’m reading it slowly because I have to focus on research. Which is what’s boring the pants off me.