Spinal Tap vs. Bad News Tour

Bad News Tour was released a year before Spinal Tap (which was, apparently, in production at the same time as Bad News Tour).

Spinal Tap is a much more "polished* production, and the “Stonehenge” scene is priceless. On the other hand, I like the low-budget look of Bad News Tour. I always get a chuckle out of Nigel Planer’s (“Den Dennis”) confrontation with the cafeteria woman. ("Sausages!)

One thing I noticed about Spinal Tap was its depiction of audiences. I worked at Edwards AFB when it came out, and one of my co-workers was in a metal band (Redline). In the film, the gig at the air force base showed people just standing politely around. My experience was that when Redline played at EAFB, the audience rocked. They were all out dancing. When they played the Antelope Valley Fairgrounds, people just stood around.

As for Bad News Tour, I thought Nigel Planer’s character was a bit to close to The Young Ones “Neil”.

As I understand it, they were doing Bad News in live shows long before they went on TV. Their Young Ones characters were largely based on their Bad News ones.

Trivia

Rik Mayall and Ade Edmondson always play the same characters. “Rick” (Young Ones), “Richard Richard” (Bottom), and “Richie Rich” (Filthy Rich and Catflap) are the same person with only slight variation. And the same for “Vyvyan”, “Eddie Hitler” and “Eddie Catflap”. (Rik always names his characters after himself, and Ade obviously takes “Eddie” from his surname). I believe they originated those roles as “The Dangerous Brothers” (a name they stole from a comedy band troupe).

Can’t find it Amazon or netflix. Anyone got a link to where I can find it?

Bad News Tour