400 lb. Samoan gangster?

As I woke up this morning, I thought of a film I saw that had a 400 lb. Samoan gangster in it. He might have been called “Tiny”. It was a recent film, and I’ve seen it once. A guy goes to a driving range on a balcony and attempts to meet with the Samoan.

Okay. I just had a flash… Was this the re-make of The Italian Job?

That sounds right to me, although I can’t find the guy in the cast list.

It sounds very much like Elmore Leonard’s follow-up to “Get Shorty.” “Play it Cool?” is that the name - it escapes me at the moment but I read it very recently.

That one’s in production, but the movie isn’t out yet…

Ah, here we go. The character’s name was Skinny Pete (he actually was in there). The actor was a rapper named Gawtti. Here’s some info. You can barely see him in the picture, but the writer says he’s 600 pounds and that doesn’t look far off.

Aha! So it is The Italian Job. Thanks.

I guess I’d never make it as a carnival weight guesser.

When a guy weighs 600 pounds, 200 either way doesn’t make much difference. If you’re the Carny dealing with that guy, your options are 1) run to a safe distance before guessing (guessing optional), or 2) don’t let him on the scale to test your prediction.

Ahem.

Band name.

You sure his name wasn’t “Tony Rocky Horror”?

Legend has it that members of the Boo-Yaa Tribe were world-class in the amount of weight they could bench press. I wouldn’t be surprised if 600 pounds is the weight that this guy pushed up one time.

Huh. I was immediately reminded of a scene in Black Rain where Michael Douglas went to meet up with the Yakuza…

Oh man, the Boo-Ya tribe. That brings back memories…

My fave quote from the interview

It takes a village…