grandfather in Filipino?

Hi,

I have to get a father’s day card for a daycare student…
but she doesn’t have a father… she does have a grandfather.

but i need to put on the card, “grandfather” in filipino.

can someone help out with this?

thx!

Link

Search engines are your friends.

thx!!

i tried “grandfather filipino language”
grandfather translated into filipino

and it wasn’t the first 3 pages…
just got info on people writing about those words…

Lolo. :slight_smile:

Weird. I was gonna say that “Filipino” wasn’t a language, because that’s what my family says (I’m half Filipino). But I went and looked anyway, and it seems I’m wrong.

I was always told that there isn’t a language called Filipino, so I ran a Google search and discovered that it’s a matter of some contention, or at least was at one time.

My dad’s family came over in the 60s, so I guess they subscribed to the purist movement.

All my filipino friends say that their language is Tagalog. And no, they’re not all related (so they tell me). My friends mom and her family were raised on Ilocano, but they still say that the national language is Tagalog. Maybe they say that to lessen confusion. :confused:

The national language is Filipino, but there are many different dialects of it. Because many of these dialects differ from one another, most Filipinos treat them all as separate languages.

Because Tagalog is the most often used Filipino dialect, some people call it the Filipino language.

My dad speaks three different dialects of Filipino: Tagalog, Bisaya, and Maranao (his mother tongue). I only understand Tagalog. The other two sound almost completely foreign to me.

That’s because they’re not dialects of Filipino. That’s a universal misconception among Filipinos