What are some books you've read that have changed your outlook

I don’t know if i’ve read any life changing books, but i’ve read a few whose info has stuck with me and changed my outlook. If anyone else has any books put the title, author, what the book was about and (if you want) how it changed your outlook down.

The High Price of Materialism. Tim Kasser. it was about how devoting your life to extrinsic goals (being wealthy, famous, beautiful, etc) caused insecurity and lacked the ability to provide any long term psychological benefits, and that people should focus more on self improvement and good relationships instead.

The power of the subconscious mind. Joseph Murphy. About how the subconscious mind can help you obtain what you want.

Dealing with depression naturally. Syd Baumel. Its an encyclopedia of all the treatments for depression that exist from supplements, prescription drugs, esoteric therapies, etc. Back in december i realized my depression was really starting to harm me so i spent alot of time looking up nutritional supplements for it. I’m on 3 different ones now and i’ve noticed major improvements in my mood. All 3 were covered in this book as treatments.

I have more I just can’t remember them right now.

The Female Eunuch by Germaine Greer. It was one of the seed crystals of the women’s movement. I sorta favored women’s rights before then, but that book really nailed everything down. It showed me how the system was holding women down, keeping them from power.

Prizzi’s Honor by Richard Condon. Condon’s works taught me to be cynical about the way the world works. The more I watch the current US government, the more I think Condon was right on target.

A Miracle of Rare Design by Mike Resnick. It showed me how much our physical beings define and shape our worldview, and how much more than human we can someday be.

The Blank Slate by Stephen Pinker. He doe a good job debunking various human myths that still shape social policy today, and shows why they shouldn’t. Not only that, but he shows what we should replace them with.

The Science of Good&Evil by Michael Shermer is pretty similar to the above book, but covers some different ground.

Life Extension by Dirk Pearson and Sandy (Hook?). Showed me that aging is not an inevitable result of being human, and that our own behaviors have a significant impact upon our lifespan and quality of health. Just rolling over and accepting ‘the inevitable’ doesn’t have to happen.

Parliament of Whores by P.J. O’Rourke. Did more than DeToqueville in explaining how America operates, in comprehensible language, and why things wouldn’t necessarily be better if everyone would just adopt my liberal viewpoint…

This thread is better suited for Cafe Society. I’ll move it for you.

Cajun Man
for the SDMB

Hyperspace, by Michio Kaku. Essentially it’s about higher dimensions, but it also touches base with pretty much every major physics theory, tying them in with 11 dimensions. He does a really good job explaining everything. I often have caught myself daydreaming about the universe on a cosmic and then quantum scale.

The Hippopotamus by Stephen Fry-it warped my fragile little mind. And laughed until I ruptured an ovary.

The Geography of Nowhere by James Howard Kunstler. It’s about our man-made geography (housing, town design) and how it affects our lives. One of the major themes of the book is how planners, architects, and designers frequently fail to consider the human factor when coming up with their designs, and how this can have negative social consequences.

Plus, it explains why you ought to have some kind of an overhang over your front door.

It definitely changed the way I look at things. Kunstler spells out a lot of stuff that you sort of know, but never put into words, like what makes certain houses appealing, and what makes certain towns appealing. When my husband and I were choosing what town to live in and looking for a house we used a lot of vocabulary from this book. We ended up in a house and in a town that Kunstler would certainly approve of.

Grammatical Man: Information, Entropy, Language and Life, by Jeremy Campbell. Now somewhat dated (it’s been twenty years since it was first published), this book first made evident to me the intricate relationships between information theory, evolution, language, and human existence. Almost every non-fiction book I’ve read since, and most of my intellectual interests since then, have been a result of my desire to follow threads I first picked up in this book. I suppose I should mention that I came to read Grammatical Man as a result of an interest in information theory spawned by reading Thomas Pynchon’s The Crying of Lot 49 in graduate school, so it really belongs on this list as well.

Darwin’s Dangerous Idea: Evolution and the Meanings of Life, by Daniel Dennett. I’d read a lot of evolutionary science by the time I got round to this book, but this one firmly put me in the Darwinian camp for good and all. Methodical, as informationally dense as any book you’re likely to read outside of extremely specialized technical literature, and, in my opinion, completely convincing in its argument that evolution by natural selection was “the best idea anybody ever had”.

The Nurture Assumption: Why Children Turn Out the Way They Do, by Judith Rich Harris. Completely overturned many of my most cherished notions about the role of parents, genes, and environment in shaping the lives of children. This book makes lots of people mad (including me when I first heard of it), but once I picked it up and read it I found it nearly impossible not to be won over by the evidence Harris marshals for her contention that human children are much more predisposed by their genetic makeup to be influenced by their peer groups than their parents in their behavior outside of immediate family settings.

The Tipping Point: How Little Things Can Make a Big Difference, by Malcolm Gladwell. I rarely read one of Gladwell’s New Yorker articles without having one or the other of my assumptions about the world overturned, or at least learning something new and fascinating about an aspect of the world I’d never really considered before. It was an article by Gladwell that first pointed me toward Judith Rich Harris’s book, for instance. The Tipping Point, for all its success, ultimately is less than sum of its parts, but what parts! The book explores as a common thread the nonlinearity of causes and effects – small causes having large effects – and in doing so revisits many of the topics Gladwell had previously explored in his New Yorker articles for evidence. Often, however, the evidence is more interesting than the case Gladwell’s making – which is really much less of a criticism than it sounds, because the topics are often fascinating, and deal with many of the most interesting areas of science and (for want of a better term) sociology. Throughout, current research in the sciences that relate to human behavior is deployed to illustrate insights about how we behave that are often surprising and in many cases run counter to our assumtions about the world. You can hardly help but having your outlook altered by such realizations as the fact that if you’re mugged on a dark street, you’re better off if only one or two other people around than if there’s a crowd, or that the notion of a single monolithic “self” that is essentially unchanged in different environments is almost certainly a myth, and that under the appropriate circumstances, nearly all people are capable of behavior that they’d never dream of under other circumstances.

I hate to include two books by the same author on such a list, but when the author is Matt Ridley, it’s hard to avoid, given the influence he’s had on my understanding of how people behave and why. The Origins of Virtue: Human Instincts and the Evolution of Cooperation profoundly altered my understanding of human behavior, explaining in impeccably supported arguments how it is that characteristically human altruistic behaviors are perfectly consistent with evolutionary theory that assumes maximizing of reproductive success as the only goal of genes. The final third of the book makes an compelling argument for a strongly libertarian mode of social organization and government, in which I’m not quite ready to joing Ridley (though I’m getting closer). Another poster has mentioned Steven Pinker’s The Blank Slate: The Modern Denial of Human Nature, which is indeed an outstanding book (as are the rest of Pinker’s books for general readers), but I actually prefer Matt Ridley’s Nature via Nurture: Genes, Experience, and What Makes Us Human, which makes the same type of argument, minus some of Pinker’s polemicism, and with a broader view of the current state of scientific understanding of the interrelationship between genes and experience; as a working scientist specializing in one area, Pinker is perhaps less able to see and evaluate the entire field, while Ridley, as primarily a writer concerned with explaining the current state of knowledge to the general reader, is able to develop a more balanced, well-rounded, and objective view, which is even more convincing, in part because Ridley’s not working nearly so hard to convince as Pinker.

Fooled by Randomness: The Hidden Role of Chance in Life and in the Markets, by Nassim Nicholas Taleb. A book like no other I’ve ever read, by an options trader who prides himself on being like few if any other options traders you’ll ever meet. Taleb devastatingly demonstrates how a failure on the part of almost everyone to understand the nature and implications of randomness leads us to misunderstand much of what happens in life, and especially in the financial and business world. He demonstrates how the natural human tendency to find or create explanations for what has happened prevents us, in many cases, from recognizing outcomes for what they frequently are – random sequences of events representing one of many possible outcomes resulting from given set of starting conditions. He also demonstrates how bad people are at recognizing that the value of potential outcomes is crucially important in assessing the risk associated with a certain course of action – that a course with slight risk of a horrible outcome is usually not worth taking, even if a more positive outcome is, statistically, much more likely. He does a sprightly fandango on the heads of all those CEOs who publish self-congratulatory autobiographies celebrating the virtues of whatever strategy they claim, in retrospect, to have pursued, while demonstrating that in at least a large number of cases those captains of industry and business succeeded by virtue of pure, blind, dumb, luck. There’s so much in this book that challenges the way we generally approach the topics of risk, randomness, causality, and logic that it’s impossible to give even a hint of all that it offers. It’s also very entertainingly written, which is no mean feat given that much of what the author has to say could be construed as self-justification and self-congratulation for being so much smarter than the rest of us.

I’ll second that nomination – living as I do in the Atlanta area, which Kunstler has singled out for special condemnation in his work, I have to say that I’m profoundly dissatisfied with all of the options available to me for places to live in this area, largely as a result of having read Kunstler’s books.

A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius by Dave Eggers. I can’t precisely remember or describe the way it changed me exactly, but I definitely think it has.

Letters From Earth by Mark Twain. It was the first serious book my dad gave me to read at a young age. Most of what I had read before had been school-related or fiction. I’m pretty sure it was the first book that prompted any critical thinking on my part.

I’m sure there are others, but this is what sticks out the most at 2am.

Carl Sagan’s “Demon Haunted World”. It’s premise is that much of what we believe is just wishful thinking.

Men Are From Mars, Women Are From Venus. A lot of it is pop-psychology fluff, but there are some nuggets of useful information there about the different way men and women listen to and cope with problems.

Upgrading Microsoft Office: Expert Advice, Tips, and Tricks

On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are by Alan Watts (who on Googling for this I’ve just learned died over 30 years ago!). To nick something from AlanWatts.net this book and I guess many of his others covers

I came across it completely by accident and it introduced me to ideas that were utterly new and initially baffling. The nearest I’ve come to reading (and absorbing) a religious book.

And:

Gödel, Escher, Bach: an Eternal Golden Braid by Douglas R. Hofstadter. A very clever explanation of Gödel’s theorem and about a gazillion other things. Raises your IQ 30 points if all you do is look at the pictures. The nearest I’ve come to reading (and absorbing) a mathmatics book.

Erich Von Daniken’s CHARIOTS OF THE GODS- got me interested in the Bible- read at age 10 in 1972.

Hal Lindsey’s THE LATE GREAT PLANET EARTH- activated my Christian faith (which eventually got me out of VonDaniken-AncientAstronautism L)- read at age 13.

John Stormer’s NONE DARE CALL IT TREASON and Gary Allen’s NONE DARE CALL IT CONSPIRACY- activated my conservative politics & conspiracy buffery (Reagan & NAT’L REVIEW modified my politics so that my Birchite involvements didn’t last)- read at age 17.

Ayn Rand’s ATLAS SHRUGGED- activated my libertarian mojo (tho I couldn’t buy into her anti-altruism/religion hangups)- read at age 19.

Dave MacPherson’s THE INCREDIBLE COVER-UP- got me out of Lindseyite Rapturism into a more historically & theologically respectable PreMillism- read at age 20.

David Chilton’s PARADISE RESTORED- got me thinking of Bible Prophecy in terms of Theonomic Postmillenialism (Christ’s Kingdom grows on Earth as humanity becomes successfully evangelized & discipled to faith in Christ & reconstructs society along Biblical principles)- read at age 28 maybe?

THE GOSPEL OF THE HERE-AFTER - Inclusive Evangelical theology written around 1910, gave me Biblical hope for the salvation of most people, perhaps all- found “by chance” at a flea-market held inside a former Piggly-Wiggly :smiley: - also age 28?

Father Kallistos Ware- THE ORTHODOX WAY- a great primer on Eastern Orthodox C’tian Faith- also probably around age 28?

AS a boy (say 9-13) my worldview and how I approach my life was inalterably changed by reading Robert Heinlein’s juveniles. The young heroes in them were resourceful, creative problem solvers who enumerated specific approachs ("if you have a problem you can’t solve just solve PART of it and see how that changes things’)(‘there’s nothing wrong with panicking…just wait until the crisis is over’) and I took that right to heart. Robert Heinlein was the strong father I never had.

And at 18, as I was going through some really hard times I read ‘To Kill A Mockingbird’ by Harper Lee. The message of empathy there (‘don’t judge a man until you’ve walked a mile in his shoes’) hit me then and still resonates with me.

Zen and The Art of Motorcycle Maintenance By Robert Pirsig. The book, with its search for qaulity or arete (which is not the quality as we understand it to be, but something more) and its idea that our thoughts and reasons are in fact conditioned by our collective past (towards the end of the book), and we are incapable of thinking beyond the set paths was enlightening. It opened newer vistas of ideas for me.

As I once said here: