I have catbirds in my crape myrtle

My small city garden brings me delight throughout the year. One of the reasons I bought this house was the yard – I’m on a lot and a half, so I have narrow side yard (10 feet or so?) that runs along the house and leads to a few steps that you go up and around to the back to find the main garden, a circle of lawn surrounded by flowerbeds. Ten years ago, when I won a substantial chunk of change on “Jeopardy!,” the main splurge was getting the side yard landscaped – a flagstone walk with beds on either side and a few large plants (a witch hazel, a crape myrtle, a hibsicus). Well, ten years is a reasonable amount of time, and the crape myrtle, especially, is getting pretty big – the effect from the upstairs bathroom is like being in a treehouse. It hangs over the walkway, and at this point the area beneath it is a shade garden, a fact I’m only starting to come to terms with. My garden started out as mostly sunny, when I moved in in 1990 – but the neighbors to my south put in an ornamental pear that throws most of the backyard into shade, and I did it to myself with the crape myrtle in the said yard. This spring I moved a climbing rose that the previous owners had planted, because it was right next to the tree, and I planted impatiens, not petunias, in the annual beds along the walk this year.

Anyway, the crape myrtle, as you’ve gathered, is the main thing you see in the side yard – it’s not only big and hanging over the walkway, it’s covered with hot pink flowers in the summer. I love this tree. It’s right outside the window where my computer is, so when I stop tp think and stare out the window, that’s what I’m staring it. And I’d noticed this one bird, a little gray thing, kept flying up and landing on the branch right outside – and, yep, I went out and looked into the tangled branches of the tree and it looked like there was a nest up there. It was hard to get a look at the bird, though, and it was driving me nuts trying to figure out what it was, since there was no real distinguishing marks on it that I could see (or was it just bad lighting in the shade and my middle-aged eyes?). But I’ve been watching it for a couple of weeks. Well, this morning, I finally figured out what it was: a catbird.

And tonight, while I was sitting on the john looking out the window, I noticed two or three cute little roly-poly gray birds frolicking around awkwardly in the top branches of the tree. Yup, baby catbirds, learning how to fly. Way, way, way too cool!

Isn’t there some kind of ointment for that?

He’s cute as the very dickens, twicks. :wink:

You have no idea how many “e’s” I had to go back and add after previewing.

Are they sitting in the catbird seats? giggles at the cute widdle birdies

“Then stop eating catbirds.” –Myrtle