The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > General Questions

Old 07-11-2004, 12:33 AM

My eye makes creaking sounds?

I suppose I should see an eye doctor for this, but I'm too cheap/lazy. Sometimes, usually about once every few weeks, while I am laying in bed at night, I rub my eye and it makes a craking sound. The sound continues every time I touch my eye that night but it ok once I wake up in the morning. Has this ever happened to anyone else? Should I go see a doctor?
Advertisements  
Old 07-11-2004, 10:24 AM

That happens with my left eye. I asked my optometrist about it and he said no big deal. It's just the fluid in my eye squishing around.
Old 07-11-2004, 12:41 PM

hahaha, I love that sound. Both my eyes do it sometimes; I actually derive pleasure from pushing the corner of my eye and hearing the resulting "kkkwwwiisshh".

I've always assumed it was just eye juice slushing around.
Old 07-11-2004, 03:36 PM

Chalk up another eye-juice squisher! I think I inherited my talent from my Mom, her sounds were quite audible. I'm not as noisy, and my brother can't even get the first squish out[Law of Diminishing Returns, or "Let's go take a ride on the Canal of Schlemn(?)"]
Old 07-11-2004, 04:38 PM

Another eye squisher checking in here. It happens to both my eyes every now and then. It annoys my wife when I do it because she thinks it is gross. I have no idea what causes it, so if anyone does, I would be interested in the answer as well.
Old 07-11-2004, 05:24 PM

For some reason though, I don't think its because I have extra fluid in my eye, rather because my eye is dry. I am guessing this because the creaking sound sounds like a dry wooden floor of an old house. What kind of sounds do your eyes make?
Old 07-12-2004, 09:47 AM
Charter Member

If your eye creaks when you're sleeping, maybe you didn't go to bed "oily" enough.
Old 07-13-2004, 02:24 AM

Mine does that. I've always thought that it's AIR, not fluid, trapped in the... um... tear duct thingy.

As an aside, when I was a kid, I could blow air out that same hole. I could blow bubbles underwater with my eye.

Yeah, I was a talented kid.
Old 07-13-2004, 02:34 AM

That always happens to me when I'm all snotty from a cold or something, so I assumed my eyes... had snot in them or something. I'm not sure what I assumed, now that I have to think about it.

I hadn't tried blowing air out of my eyes for about 10 years (I'm 20 now, and used to do it a lot as a kid), but I just did it again from my right eye to see if I still could. Sadly, my left eye appears to have sealed shut. Rest assured that I will now attempt to do this over and over until I either actually do get air coming out my left eye again or pass out from exhaustion.