Joe Wilson Lies! Debunkable?

A lot of the conservative sites are making much of this story…

Click here

I’ve seen threads pop up on other message boards about it but haven’t seen anything here yet. I’m curious as to what you all have to say about it. The right is claiming that it proves that Joe Wilson was a liar but there are usually two sides to the story. I’ve noticed that it would appear that the mainstream press isn’t paying much attention to it. I couldn’t find the story on CNN or NY Times, for example.

I look forward to hearing your opinions.

Well, according to the linked story, Wilson knew (and reported) about earlier contacts that had resulted in no purchases of uranium. In addition, according to the story, the Niger contact “assumed” that Iraq was looking for uranium, despite the fact that the Iraqis did not actually mention uranium in their discussions. (I will not claim the Iraqis did not want uranium, but an unspoken request that was denied does not go very far toward feeding Iraqi reactors.)

However, the actual transaction that Wilson was sent to investigate actually was a forgery–a point that has not changed.

The phrase “grasping at straws” comes to mind.

http://www.nationalreview.com/may/may200407121105.asp

Clifford May makes the rightist argument most succinctly, at the National Review Online (“Unfair, Unbalanced, Fuck You!”). He outlines every known fact on the matter and squeezes every drop of innuendo from those facts. It makes rather weak tea.

He starts off assaulting the most important single aspect of all this, whether or not Mr. Wilson’s wife recommended him for the investigatory trip. He casts some entirely reasonable doubt on Mr. Wilson’s accuracy on this piddling issue.

He reaches his full display of inductive speculation masquerading as thought with the following:

“…Another former government official told Wilson that Iran had tried to buy 400 tons of uranium in 1998. That’s the same year that Saddam forced the weapons inspectors to leave Iraq. Could the former official have meant Iraq rather than Iran? If someone were to try to connect those dots, what picture might emerge?..”

He might have meant Iraq, but said Iran? This passes for evidence on the planet Mr. May calls home.

First off, it is known that the uranium output of Niger is controlled either entirely or almost entirely by French consortiums, and the output of those mines are already spoken for. “Yellowcake” to be processed is sold by the ton, this isn’t a kilo of coke slipped over the border in somebody’s dress. A covert transfer would be difficult, if not impossible.

More to the point, perhaps, is our certain knowledge that even if genies would whisk 500 tons of yellowcake to Saddam’s front door, he wouldn’t have been able to do anything with it. He did not have, could not fabricate, and could not covertly purchase the equipment needed. To the best of our knowledge, he didn’t even try.

So what would it have gained Saddam to risk covertly buying material he could not process?

I’m not sure where in the linked article there are assertions of Joe Wilson lying to be debunked.

I would suggest checking out Talking Points Memo for discussion over the past several days and weeks about this issue.

One bit of information that appears to contradict an assertion from the linked article is that of the weight of the concerns reportedly voiced by the French. Apparently (if this is the same point as raised by Josh Marshall at TPM) the concerns of the French were based on the same forged document as were the concerns raised by the British, and we knew it. The fact that two other countries were concerned means nothing if their concern was in regards to the same source.

Sorry, that should be Talking Points Memo.

You’re right. I’m reading Wilson’s book right now, and I’ve taken the liberty to type in the relevant portion. Any typos are mine.

Valerie Plame wouldn’t have had to suggest her husband to the CIA. Wilson had been a diplomat for 23 years and had often met with the CIA to share his knowledge of the countries he worked in. He had been a junior diplomatic officer in Niger in the 70s. He’d also been the highest-ranking diplomat in Baghdad during the Gulf War. The senior diplomat, April Glaspie, had left on a routine trip right before the surprise invasion of Kuwait, and so wasn’t allowed back in Iraq. Wilson was the face of American diplomacy in Iraq right up until a few days before America started bombing, when he and his skeleton staff were whisked out of the country.

They’re playing semantics. According to Wilson in the book:

And anyway, even if she did, 1) she was a covert agent. Maybe she COULDN’T tell him that she did, and 2) WHO CARES?? She was still outed by someone in the administration, and all the slime in the world poured on Wilson won’t change that fact.

We’re being a little selective in what we’re debunking here, going after the easy stuff. Let’s try some more substantive criticisms:

1. Wilson said that his wife had absolutely nothing to do with the decision to send him to Niger. In fact, this is a fairly big deal because Robert Novak originally reported her name because administration officials used it in an offhand way because they said she was the one who recommended him. Wilson has said that essentially they were lying, because she had nothing to do with it. “Valerie had nothing to do with the matter,” Wilson says in his book. “She definitely had not proposed that I make the trip.”

In fact, she did exactly that.

1. Wilson lied, flat-out lied about the CIA report.

Wilson lied. Plain and simple. He claimed to have knowledge about names and dates on a document he had never seen.

1. Wilson claims that Bush was lying when he said, “The British government has learned that Saddam Hussein recently sought significant quantities of uranium from Africa.” In fact, Bush was not lying, and the British government has just completed an investigation into that intelligence which confirms it. Wilson had no grounds for making the claim that Bush lied, since he had not seen the British intelligence. Not only that, but British intelligence also received information from the French Intelligence service showing that Saddam had tried to buy yellowcake from Niger.
    Here’s what The Washington Post reported yesterday:

And this is what they say about Valerie Plame’s role:

A flat-out lie.

But the most damning thing is that Wilson’s public statements seem to contradict his own report:

If you guys are going to be fair in your skepticism, you have to admit that this all looks pretty bad for Wilson. If a Bush administration official had been publically slapped this hard by a Senate commission, and had been caught in flat-out lies about intelligence, you guys would be calling for his head on a pike. But Wilson? Nothing to see here… Move along.

I’m glad that you regard this as the most damning.

Sam, if you’d only followed my advice, you wouldn’t make such an embarrasing slip-up. Talking Points Memo already took on what you consider to be the most damning bit.

Iraq/Iran… what’s the difference, eh Sam?

If you are going to be fair in your assessment, when your most damning point is found to be shite, you will acknowledge that it looks pretty bad for your argument. Maybe someday you will stop relying on your regular sources of information, or the smiles of administration officials.

I should have worded my post better. I didn’t mean to suggest that those assertions were in the article. Rather, that a lot of conservatives are claiming that this story is proof of his lying. See Sam Stone’s post for an example.

IF Marshall is right, then that offers a possible answer to one of the charges. That one aside, it would appear that Wilson clearly lied to the media on several occasions. He claimed that his wife had nothing to do with recommending him for the trip. That was a lie. He specifically claimed to have knowledge of dates and places on a report which didn’t even come into CIA hands until 8 months after Wilson made the claim. Another lie.

Got any answers for those?

There is a much larger point here. The point is that Bush was savaged in the media over his claim that Iraq was seeking uranium from Niger. Much of the savaging came courtesy of the claims of Joe Wilson, who wasn’t just skeptical but who was making the rounds of the media calling Bush an outright liar and claiming that there was absolutely no evidence for the claim.

Well, now it turns out that Bush was on solid ground. He had not just evidence from the British government, but the British government had given him its sources, one of which turned out to be French intelligence. And Wilson’s own report showed that Niger had in fact been approached by Iraq about yellowcake.

Furthermore it turns out that some of Wilson’s claims were flat-out lies. If it can be fully corroborated that Wilson was lying, then his behavior is contemptible. If he consciously lied in order to undermine his own government for partisan purposes, then he is despicable.

I hope the legal case against whoever leaked Plame’s name continues, for two reasons: One, because no matter how obnoxious Wilson is, it’s still wrong to ‘out’ a CIA operative, and if someone intentionally did that, they should be punished. But also, it would put Joseph Wilson on the witness stand where he would have to either maintain the lie that his wife had ‘nothing to do’ with his being chosen to go to Niger, or admit that he lied about a very serious matter.

Show us the Uranium Sam. Then tell us how Bush was on solid ground.

Sam, you’re trying to bust Wilson five times for the same thing. The question of whether or not Ms. Plame ever spoke her husbands name in the context of the Niger investigation is puny. What dark designs do you see in this?

Now this:

Unless I’m very much mistaken, wasn’t the suspicious nature of the Niger documents pretty much common knowledge at that point? That the merest hint of research would have shown them to be laughable? Would not any reasonably sentient planaria be able to conclude, entirely independent of any CIA reports, that the document in question was the bunk?

It does? Since when? Did you by any chance notice friend Equipoise’s post above, outlining some of the rather daunting obstacles to a covert sale of 400 tons of contraband? If British Intelligence were to report that Saddam had Invisible Anthrax Unicorns of Death, would Bush then be “on solid ground” if he parrots such nonsense?

Can you explain to us what possible use Saddam could have made of any yellowcake purchase? What was he going to do with it, Sam? Are you aware of some massive laboratory and production complex that has eluded the rest of the world? Mr. Baredi didn’t find one, neither did Mr. Blix, nor even the enthusiastic Mr. Kay (You remember, don’t you, Sam? The charmingly boyish enthusiasm with which you looked forward to his “surprises”?)

So far as I can tell, the only “evidence” offered is hearsay, offered at least one remove. Mr. Clark told the CIA that someone told him something. That’s it. That’s all you got? Anything else?

I don’t get it - the names and dates were wrong anyway, correct? So if he was just making up names and dates, how’d he know they were wrong? Was it just a lucky guess?

All based on . . .

Wait for it . . .

THE SAME FORGED DOCUMENTS, AND NOTHING MORE THAN THE SAME FORGED DOCUMENTS.
One simply cannot restore the credibility of the Niger story by citing additional instances of the exact same Niger story.

How do you know that? The Butler commission in the U.K. looked into the Niger evidence, and has concluded that there was solid intelligence.

Rock Solid: :wink:

Butler report.

It appears that I was mixing up the French intelligence (which was clearly based on the forged documents) with the British intelligence (which allegedly was not based on the forged documents, though I would bet money that it was indirectly based on them even if they “were not available to the British Government at the time its assessment was made”).

The Butler Report, so far as I can tell, does not actually state what the British assessment was based on, apart from the speculation that Iraqi officials must have been trying to buy uranium there since that’s, like, a big part of Niger’s exports. Nevermind that Iraq had no capability of doing anything whatsoever with the unprocessed ore that was the only kind of uranium they would have been able to buy without going through the French government, which controls all the active mines in the country. Iraqi officials were seen in a country where there’s uranium, so that sealed the deal.

Feh. Double feh.

One of the charges? You mean, in your estimation, the “most damning of all.” This one revealed to be a fairly stupid confusion of Iraq and Iran by a reporter, yet you blithely forage ahead, apparently drawing increased conviction for your point of view by the refutation of your most damning point. Isn’t it safe to say that your reasoning on this one is conclusion-specific? Isn’t it safe to say that you want to believe “Bush was on solid ground,” so you shape and fudge things to arrive there, despite the verity of the support for your assertions? No? Okay, let’s go on…

Is it? Do you know that he did not know his wife had recommended him, thus making it a lie? But much, much more importantly, why is this so crucial? What is the result of his wife recommending him? What point of yours is supported should it be true that the reasons for his selection resulted from efforts of his wife? Please close the loop on this part for us.

Yes, this is another lie. Apparently of yours, unfortunately, or your source (I’ll choose to be generous here and allow for the latter, your zealous, wide-eyed conviction of its truth notwithstanding). How in heaven’s name could it be true that the report didn’t come into the CIA’s hands before Wilson claimed any knowledge of it? The whole reason for his involvement arose because of the report! The report precedes Wilson’s role. I know it is a huge PDF file, but if you read the SSCI report, this will be painfully obvious. To wit:

And there wasn’t. From the report: “Conclusion 12. Until October 2002 when the Intelligence Community obtained the forged foreign language documents on the Iraq-Niger uranium deal, it was reasonable for analysts to assess that Iraq may have been seeking uranium from Africa based on Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) reporting and other available intelligence.” Even given that this is being generous to the information and reporting, it suggests that Bush’s statements were crap.

It did? Could you provide a cite, because this is all the SSCI report has to say on the matter:

So the available evidence is that there was a meeting regarding trade that never discussed yellowcake.

So far, it is not clear that any of them are. At most, he may have lied about how his name came up as the person to check this out, but whether this was a lie or not is far from clear. He lied or misspoke about having seen false names on the report. After reading the SSCI, I am willing to believe that he based this on information from the CIA, perhaps even from his wife. Maybe this was the reason the administration outed Valerie Plame?

Sure. Got any evidence of that? What IF it could be corroborated that you brought this false and misleading material here to undermine our discussion for purely partisan purposes?

Perhaps you should peruse the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence’s report on the matter, issued just last week. The Committte’s recounting of the Niger story is very detailed, making it clear that a “foreign government service” (clearly the Brits) had informed the U.S. about the alleged Niger uranium purchase in October 2001. (Report, p. 36) The CIA report in response noted that “There is no corroboration from other sources that such an agreement was reached,” and that “Iraq has no known facilities for processing or enriching the material.” (p. 37)

The Brits updated their report in February 2002, this time including what was said to be a “verbatim text” of the Iraq-Niger agreement. (p. 37) The American intelligence folks were more impressed with this report, and responded with a February 12, 2002 DIA report titled “Niamey signed an agreement to sell 500 tons of uranium a year to Baghdad.” (p. 38) The Vice President read this DIA report and asked for follow-up. (p. 38) The follow-up report stated that “information on the alleged uranium contract between Iraq and Niger comes exclusively from a foreign government service report which lacks crucial details, and we are working to clarify the information and determine whether it can be corroborated.” (p. 38) The follow-up report also stated that the British report was contradicted by reports from the U.S. embassy in Niger and that the French consortium had complete control over Niger’s yellowcake industry. (pp. 38-39)

On February 18, 2002, the U.S. embassy in Niger pointed out that Niger only produces 3,000 tons of yellowcake per year, even though the Brits were claiming that Niger had agreed to sell Iraq 4,000 tons per year. (p. 40) On March 1, 2002, the State Department’s Bureau of Intelligence and Research (“INR”) published an intelligence assessment titled “Niger: Sale of Uranium to Iraq Is Unlikely.” (p. 42) The report was written in response to the Vice President’s interest in the alleged Niger-Iraq uranium deal. (p. 42) The report was distributed through the usual channels to the White House situation room. (p. 42)

On March 8, 2002, the CIA published a report on the investigation performed by “a former ambassador.” (p. 43) The report stated that Niger officials, including the former prime minister, were unaware of any contracts between Niger and Iraq. (pp. 43-44) The former prime minister reported that a businessman had approached him in 1999 with “an Iraqi delegation to discuss ‘expanding business relations’ between Iraq and Niger,” which the prime minister interpreted as meaning they wanted to discuss yellowcake sales; the prime minister met with the delegation, but let the matter drop. (p. 43) The CIA report also reiterated that the French consortium keeps tight control over the country’s uranium mining and transport. (p. 44) Because the CIA did not believe that the former ambassador’s report added anything particularly new to the matter (despite the Nigeriens’ admission that they had been approached by the Iraqi delegation in 1999), the CIA’s briefer did not brief the Vice President on the report. (p. 46)

On March 25, 2002, the “foreign government service” provided its third and final report on the Niger-Iraq uranium story. (p. 47) This time, the report claimed that Niger had agreed in 2000 to provide Iraq with 500 tons per year. (p. 47) The report included the names of two Niger officials who were not the individuals in the positions ascribed to them, although those persons “do not appear to be names or positions with which intelligence analysts would have been familiar” and nobody appears to have done any verification on the names. (p. 47)

On September 24, 2002, the British government published a “White Paper” claiming that “there is intelligence that Iraq has sought the supply of significant quantities of uranium from Africa.” (p. 50, hidden amongst a shitload of blacked-out text that presumably describes Britain’s super-secret sources for that claim) At about the same time, the Senate Intelligence Committee was preparing a National Intelligence Estimate that repeated the “foreign government service” claim that Iraq and Niger were negotiating for the sale of up to 500 tons of yellowcake, although “We do not know the status of this arrangement.” (p. 52) The INR dissented from the NIE claim regarding the uranium, stating that “the claims of Iraqi pursuit of natural uranium in Africa are, in INR’s assessment, highly dubious.” (p. 53)

On October 4, 2002, the National Security Council sent a draft of a speech the president was to deliver to the CIA. (p. 55) The draft included the line that Iraq “has been caught attempting to puchase up to 500 metric tons of uranium oxide from Africa.” (p. 55) The CIA nixed the line and wrote a memo to the NSC stating as follows (pp. 55-56):

Although additional memos continued to circulate until the time of the State of the Union, no new intelligence reports emerged regarding the alleged uranium sale to Iraq. Nevertheless, the President used the State of the Nation to tell the nation, and the world, that “the British government has learned that Saddam Hussein recently sought significant quantities of uranium from Africa.”
Given the hugely conflicting information available at the time of the January 28, 2003 State of the Union, and particularly given the huge doubts that had been cast on the veracity of the British intelligence reports and communicated to the White House on multiple occasions, it was either tremendously stupid, reckless, or mendacious to claim that the Niger story was something “the British government has learned.”

Christopher Hitchen’s carries the administration’s water yet again with his customary vigor. While much of what he says is covered here, this was intriguing: