The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > In My Humble Opinion (IMHO)

Old 09-07-2004, 11:01 AM
Charter Member

Driving from Long Island to Florida, need tips

Taking I95 all the way down. I'm planning on leaving about 9am, so I anticipate I'll hit some NY area traffic, but hopefully will avoid the bulk of it.

What I'm trying to determine is the best way from Staten Island to New Jersey and then to I95, and also the the best way around DC, assuming I'll be getting there in the early afternoon.

Thanks.
Advertisements  
Old 09-07-2004, 10:45 PM

I'm assuming you're asking if you should take the Outerbridge Crossing or the Goethals.

I'm totally comfortable with the Outerbridge Crossing, since I'm originally from that general area, and it gets me closer to my mom's house from JFK, but I think the Goethals might be a little better marked (and straighforward) as far as signs to the NJTPK.

Other than that, I really don't think it makes much of a difference. Best bet is to listen to traffic reports while in that general area and decide once you need to.
Old 09-07-2004, 10:46 PM

You didn't say what day of the week you're leaving. Is this tomorrow? If it's not for a few days, see if you can acquire this book.

It was invaluable to me when I drove from NC to Long Island on 95 alone with a 5 and 2 yr. old. Inexplicably, it doesn't go into Florida, but still, it takes you a long way there.

If you're leaving tomorrow my only advice is make sure it is as early in the afternoon as you can when you hit DC. Traffic can start getting tangled shortly after 3. If it's a Friday, even worse.

Maybe the real Washingtonians have better advice, but I think just keep following the signs for 95. They'll take you onto the beltway and you'll be on 95/495 for awhile and then exit onto 95 South. My experience is that any attempt to avoid traffic at rush hour in DC is already being tried by 432,00 other people.
Old 09-07-2004, 10:51 PM

When you've gotten as far as the OP covers, start humming "We've Only Just Begun."