Salt and pepper answer

The column I’m responding to is located at: http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a2_051.html

The part I’m responding to is specificly:

“But it was only in the late Middle Ages that pepper got really hot, so to speak. After centuries of tasteless gruel, Europeans developed a craving for certain spices that could be obtained chiefly from the East, among them pepper, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, and ginger. Pepper, being pungent, became particularly popular, since it could be used to disguise the taste of semirotten meat, a commodity then in abundant supply.”

Unfortunately, the thought that Medieval folks ate vast quantities of rotten meat is a myth. They not only often had meats that were fresher (we are aware, aren’t we, that most American beef is “aged” for a week or more, before it gets shipped out?) than much of what we get today (check the tax records of many towns, to see how many animals were brought in for slaughter, on a daily or weekly basis) but they had a number of quite adequate methods of preservation, ranging from freezing (there’s a reason that slaughtering was done in late fall, in preperation for winter, in appropriate climates) to drying, smoking, salt-curing, pickling, preserving in fat, or any combination of these methods.

Also, if you check town records, there are many, many instances of specific penalties for butchers selling “off” meat- one specific instance being that a butcher was put in stocks, with his rotting meat tied around his neck.

And, think of this logically. If you were a Lord, with the powers of life and death over your servants, and your cook served you a bad piece of meat, you aren’t going to “vote with your feet” as many modern diners would today, you’d likely come up with a nasty punishment- likely, for attempted poisoning. Not a pleasant prospect.

As far as spices go, it’s true that there was fairly limited access to many of the Eastern spices, but the trade did not just stop during the early medieval period. There was still trade, as records can prove, in many things that we tend to think weren’t available- including pepper. Depending on your when/where, you could get silks and spices from India as well as points further east. The Fall of the Roman Empire slowed trade down- it didn’t stop it.

And they didn’t just use our black pepper. Records show usage of long pepper, cubebs and grains of paradise, among others. Spices were a great cargo for any merchant- light and compact, worth, as you mentioned, large amounts of money.

As far as tasteless gruel, certainly that may have been a staple of the diet of many peasants, but there are also quite a number of herbs native to the European continent- mustard and horseradish are good examples. The Europeans would not have been as interested as they were in the “hot” spices, if they weren’t already aware of and liked the hot flavors. Check out Sabina Welserin’s (1553) Pear Mustard, recipe # 34
( http://www.daviddfriedman.com/Medieval/Cookbooks/Sabrina_Welserin.html )
if you want something to singe your nose hairs. In fact, while the cookbook is fairly late period German, it gives you a number of methods of food preservation at that time in Germany. There are many others available, from a number of time periods and locales, but that will do as a start, if you have any interest in Medieval cookery.

Please help correct the misapprehension that “everyone knows” that Medieval folks ate bad meat. As your Header on the web page says, “Fighting ignorance since 1973 (It’s taking longer than we thought)”

Sincerely,

Phlip

I wonder about the accuracy of this statistic. Assuming a US population of 280 million people, that much salt is 46 lbs / person / year, or nearly 1 lb per person per week. Remember that the 280 million figure is a maybe 20% elderly and babies who eat very little salt… That implies the rest of us put away over a pound a week apiece on average. Now that salt is not used for preservation, the implication is that most of the salt in the food processing chain ends up consumed by people.

At my house, a 1lb canister of salt lasts several months for two people. Yes, there is salt in the packaged foods we eat, and in restaurant food. But not enough to make up that big a difference.

I wonder if somebody got water softener salt or road salt mixed into the statistic along with the food salt.

You’re right, SaintPhlip, that food in the middle ages wasn’t quite as tasteless or spoiled as people tend to think. Visit The Boke of Gode Cookery for some medieval recipes (I’m lazy and haven’t tried any of them yet, but I really, really want to). They discuss and debunk the myth that medieval cooking was bland and dangerous (how these misconceptions came about, I have no idea).

Not entirely on topic, but there was a discussion around here not too long ago about the bathing habits of the people of that time. Apparently, they weren’t nearly as smelly as popular thought would have you believe.

But unquestionably *some *of the meat they ate was older than we’re comfortable with today. In those long northern European winters you had to eat what was preserved from warmer times, thus the popularity of pickled vegetables, corned beef, fruit preserves, salt cod, etc etc.

The other place this was important was on ships, when the European navies roamed the world they often lived on preserved goods for months on end.

Yeah, I tend to agrre with you on that. I’d be surprised if I consume a pound of salt a year- I don’t salt many foods, and I eat very few processed foods, my big indulgence being ice cream. And, my ex, who would have salted a block of salt, if I’d served that for dinner :wink: went through about a pound every few monthes, with my help.

Again, if you want to find out more, the Florilegium has quite a bit on personal hygiene. Fascinating site- pack a lunch- lots there :wink:

Well, truth be known, a lot of the meat we eat today is a bit more elderly than I’d prefer- never mind some of the Mystery Meats such as hot dogs and bologna :wink:

The major difference between our meats and their meats is that we have a lot more chemicals to aid in preservation, as well as the technology to do things like canning and freezing, on a household by household basis.

But, keep in mind- off meat is bad stuff. If it will sicken or kill us today, it would have sickened or killed them too. We’re all human beings, and despite the differences in technology, we still react to the same poisons, whether from bad food, or from nasty chemicals. Our biology just hasn’t changed that much. The biggest change has been in infant and child mortality. While they lost a LOT of children, any who made it to adulthood had at least as good a chance of making it to a ripe old age as any adult today, wars, accidents, and plagues aside.