Developing disc camera film?

Years ago, my parents got me one of those Kodak disc cameras. Although it worked very well for my young self, the cameras turned out to be a miserable failure. So now I am burdened with 6 discs of undeveloped film, and not knowing what is on those discs is driving me crazy. I just did a google search and was unsuccessful, obviously. Does anyone know where I could get these developed, or will they continue to sit here and mock me?

You may want to get in touch with a professional photo lab in your city. Not one of those chains like Walgreens, but an actual photo lab that serves professional photographers. One of them might have held onto some equipment for developing disc film. At the very least, they can point you towards someone who has it.

Robin

Happy D Photo (Dwayne’s) can do Disc film, http://www.happyd.com/. It looks like they charge $9.00 for one set of prints.

I’ve never gotten Disc film developed there, so I can’t comment on that, but I’ve found their service quite good for 120 film and Super 8 movie film.

I’ve seen mail-order developers still mention outdated film formats such as this on their literature. I guess if they’re running a large centralised setup, it wasn’t difficult to retain a single system for such films to deal with the niche market that remains.

Keep in mind that disc film hasn’t been manufactured for some time, and by now all existing undeveloped disc film has long since expired. You have to decide if you want to try to develop film that may contain quite poor, even unprintable (if the film is very old), images.

I would just like to add that having used a number of non-standard film formats (126, 110, disk, etc), that the disk camera produced the absolute worst quality photos I have ever seen. But, you’re asking a lot out of a negative that (I believe) is even smaller than a 110 (13mm x 17mm)

Yes, the picture quality is sub-par, but having a real camera at ten years of age was a big deal for me. I’m just curious to know what inane pictures I took back then. Most of the other discs that I’ve had developed were not the best quality and were pictures of clouds and my old house and such.

I’m well aware of the picture quality, but thanks for that little tid bit anyway.

Well, now we are, too. If you come across anything weird, be sure to post it, please.

At $9.00 per disc with prints, why not take a big risk and sent in one disc to see what kind of results you get? May be something and in a condition worth saving maybe not.

I think I’m going to check into my local photo labs first before I take the big $9.00 plunge. I’m cheap to begin with, so I know I’ll just be mad if it turns out to be a low-quality picture of dirt or something. Then again, if there’s a pirate map in the background or maybe even Jimmy Hoffa’s leg, now that would be worth the $9.00.

I’ll post details when they’re developed.