Why do guys like breasts?

When I see a woman with nice tits, it’s like her nipples shot out Hellraiser chains and hooked onto my eyelids. (Sorry for putting that image into your head . . .) But why, I couldn’t tell you. It just happens. I mean, tits don’t actually do anything, do they? That is, nothing that should interest any guy over the age of two.

The major differences between humans and other primates are that we have bigger brains, that we have little hair, and that we walk upright. Based on that last one, some scientists have suggested that breasts (which no other primate has) are visual signals reminiscent of a female’s butt when presented for copulation. But that’s far from universally accepted.

Honestly, no one really knows, no matter how much we might like 'em.

Have you ever touched one? It’s really cool!

Cultural conditioning. We like breasts because cultural forces teach us to think of them as sexy. Other cultures (and other times) focused on other parts of the female anatomy: hips (in classical art), legs (1930s), feet (in China), large lips (in certain African tribes), long necks (Africa and Japan), etc. In the 1920s, small flat breasts were considered the height of attraction.

The “breasts = butt” argument assumes that there is noticeable cleavage. But a naked woman rarely shows any cleavage, so this would mean that this innate instinct developed after clothes were designed to push the breasts together. :dubious: If you look at classical nudes, very few show any cleavage whatsoever, and those that do are usually from the 20th centure (previous to that, large breasts were considered somewhat unattractive).

Note, too, that the part of the breast that is considered in our culture as being the most taboo is not the cleavage, but the nipples. You can see cleavage in the women’s gowns on Oscar night and no one says anything, but one “wardrobe malfunction” and it’s a scandal.

Right. This is a learned behavior. Big tits haven’t been considered sexually arousing in all cultures at all times.

Do guys suffer from “breast envy”?

But I NEVER CHOSE to like breasts. I’ve liked them since I was 6 or 7 years old. Size doesn’t come into it. Cultural schmultural.

How can you be sure culture had no part of it? Did you not watch TV at all before this age?

Just Andy Pandy and The Woodentops. ‘Spotty Dog’ was my favourite character. I used to live for Fridays.

Not really–a breast is roughly similar in appearance to a buttock even with no cleavage. I’m still not saying I buy this, but I do think there’s more to it than cultural conditioning. The fact remains that no other primate female has breasts, so there had to be a pretty good reason for them to come around.

On live women they are actually quite warm. I hope you get to try it one day.

The fellah(s) who wrote The Song of Solomon (2-3 millennia ago) found breasts hot:

“Thy two breasts are like two young roes that are twins, which feed among the lilies.” (4:5)

There’s more but that’s just to get the taste. The feeding metaphor really hits the button.

I get the idea that if you were a woman, you’d touch yours all the time. :wally

I don’t think cultural conditioning has much to do with it. Or at least not as much as people would like to give it credit. Cultural conditioning does nothing to explain why so many men are sexually attracted to a penis. So why should it be the sole cause of a man being attracted to breasts?
Right now, the culturally excepted figure of a “gorgeous female model” is a tall, long skinny-legged, very thin lady with little to no breasts. So why to many men like big breasts?
For some men, the bigger the better. Other guys couldn’t care less. So men are more attracted to the waist and area around the ass and thighs. Some guys like longer skinnier legs. Others like thicker, shorter legs. And still others are very attracted to obese women.

Yet, all of these people are growing up with the exact same cultural influences!! They grow up together, among each other, watching the same shows and reading the same magazines. So “cultural conditioning” is just an ‘easy-out’ answer, conveniently given by those who would like to point out all the sheepsin the world. And those who like to claim they are so unique and are so above the herd mentality of the rest of society.
Cultural conditioning can’t explain the things I’ve mentioned, so how could it accurately explain why a man is attracted to breasts.

MOved, from GQ to IMHO. I just couldn’t justify calling it a GD.
samclem GQ moderator

What! I posed a factual question about an important and widespread aspect of human psychology! IMHO, my ass and your Momma’s tits! Call yourself an SDMB moderator! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Is there any venue for protesting these decisions?

Yup. That would be the BBQ PIT

Not good enough! I want something official! Something that might go straight to The Cecil!

I don’t like sand… it’s rough and coarse. Not like you… r breasts.

No, seriously. They’re really smooth. And soft. What’s not to like? They’re these wonderful funthings, kinda bouncy with a convenient central target that provides hours upon hours of amusement, and oh yeah, a lot of their owners really enjoy having 'em played with.

I find it inconceivable that this question comes up.

I would rather that we continue to discuss breasts.

Mmmm, breasts…

Personally, I like what are known as, for lack of a better term, ‘perky’ breasts. Huge ones kind of destroy the aesthetic of the female form. My pet theory is that humans are instinctually attracted to visual cues that indicate good health and youthful maturity; a nice set of breasts seem pretty healthy and generally I find them most attractive when they’re attached to a fit young woman.