The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > General Questions

Old 11-05-2004, 11:08 AM

Famous People With "Love" Children?

The late Henry Ford (the founder of FORD Motor Co,) had an illegitimate son , whom he never (publicly) acknowledged. This man wound up becoming an executive at FORD, and retired after a lifelong career at FORD. I don't think he ever complained, or published any memoirs.
This got me to thinking-how DO famous people handle the issue of bastard children? Rev. Jesse Jackson has one (he paid the mother $120,000 plus child support) to shut her mouth. And, there are persisyent rumors that both John F. Kennedy and Bill Clinton have fathered children out of wedlock- what did they do to hush things up?
What is your legal position as a bastard child-are you entitled to inherit?
Advertisements  
Old 11-05-2004, 11:17 AM

There was such a perfect example of this re Benjamin Franklin and the way he took care of his out of wedlock kids, contrasted with the way his son handled his by ignoring them. There was a great story about how Franklin took care of this son's out of wedlock son (his grandson in England) that his son ignored.

Franklin brought the grandson over, and got him started in the colonies. The grandson eventually made something susbstantial of himself, but I forgot what it was exactly. Franklin was pretty pissed at his son for this behavior and the fact that he was a Royalist.
Old 11-05-2004, 11:57 AM

I think Grover Cleveland acknowledged an illegitimate child during one of his Presidential campaigns.
Old 11-05-2004, 12:02 PM

Thomas Jefferson had a bunch with his slave, Sally Hemmings, didn't he?
Old 11-05-2004, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerH
I think Grover Cleveland acknowledged an illegitimate child during one of his Presidential campaigns.
Was that the one with the negative ad "Ma, ma, where's my Pa? Gone to the White House, ha ha ha!"?

In recent memory, there's Strom Thurmond's illegitimate black child, who he took care of and whose existence was an open secret. I suspect many of the illegitimate children of powerful people are like that - it's widely known among Certain People but not by you and me.
Old 11-05-2004, 12:10 PM

Marion Davies (by William Randolph Hearst, of course) had a daughter in the mid-1920s; Harold Lloyd had an "illegitimate" daughter whom he supported and kept in touch with; Jayne Mansfield's famous daughter Mariska Hargitay is the biological daughter of producer/actor Nelson Sardelli, though she considers Mickey Hargitay her real father, as he raised her. And of course Clark Gable and Loretta Young had a daughter conceived while filming, ironically, The Call of the Wild. And there was that little Ingrid Bergman scandal . . .
Old 11-05-2004, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirley Ujest
Thomas Jefferson had a bunch with his slave, Sally Hemmings, didn't he?
Was it ever concluded that it was him or his brother, or is it still unknown?
Old 11-05-2004, 12:20 PM

Not conclusively proven, AFAIK. Jennings had children by some close relation of the Jefferson family after Jefferson’s wife had died.

In modern life, there’s quite a lot. Actor Daniel Day Lewis has two children by his former mistress who’s name I can’t recall right now.
Old 11-05-2004, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Devil's Grandmother
Not conclusively proven, AFAIK. Jennings had children by some close relation of the Jefferson family after Jefferson’s wife had died.
Hemmings, with an H. Sorry about that.
Old 11-05-2004, 12:42 PM
Charter Member

Isn't there some abmbiguity about Sean Astin's (Sam from LotR) father. Like, he was raised to believe that Gomez Ada.. er, John Astin, was his dad, but it was really someone else.

Or am I confused?
Old 11-05-2004, 01:05 PM

Grover Cleveland never formally acknowledged that the child was his, but did provide for it.

Warren G. Harding's daughter with Nan Britton is still alive and lives in Oregon.
Old 11-05-2004, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyHomie
Isn't there some abmbiguity about Sean Astin's (Sam from LotR) father. Like, he was raised to believe that Gomez Ada.. er, John Astin, was his dad, but it was really someone else.

Or am I confused?
Sean's mother, Patty Duke, was briefly married for a month in 1970 to Michael Tell. She quickly left him for actor John Astin (Gomez Adams) and little Sean was raised believing Astin was his father. Years later, as an adult, Sean had a DNA test done proving Michael Tell was his biological father.

Famous striptease artist Gypsy Rose Lee tried to launch a film career in the 1940s that went bust. A collaboration of a different sort with director Otto Preminger, however, produced her only child, Erik. As the story goes, Preminger called Lee when he heard she was in the hospital, thinking she'd had an accident. She said cheerfully that nothing was wrong, but "we had a son today". That son didn't learn about his true paternity until he was an adult, and now goes by Erik Lee Preminger.
Old 11-05-2004, 01:51 PM

Jack Nicholson has an illegitimate son named Caleb, born in 1970 to one Susan Anspach, whom I'm not sure he ever acknowledged. His three other (acknowledged) children are Jennifer Nicholson (b. 1964) to Susan Knight, and Lorraine (b.1990) and Raymond (b.1992) Broussard to Rebecca Broussard.
Old 11-05-2004, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippienne
Sean's mother, Patty Duke, was briefly married for a month in 1970 to Michael Tell. She quickly left him for actor John Astin (Gomez Adams) and little Sean was raised believing Astin was his father. Years later, as an adult, Sean had a DNA test done proving Michael Tell was his biological father.
Doesn't Patty Duke still deny to this day that Michael Tell is Sean's father?
Old 11-05-2004, 04:33 PM

Liv Tyler grew up believing that Todd Rundgren was her father, until she met her half-sister Mia, Steven Tyler's daughter, who apparently looks very much like her, causing Liv to put 2 and 2 together.
Old 11-05-2004, 04:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agrippina
Doesn't Patty Duke still deny to this day that Michael Tell is Sean's father?
Yep. Duke insists the DNA is wrong and the relationship was not consummated. She had the marriage to Tell annulled on those groups.

Duke was suffering severe stress and manic-depression in those days, so I doubt she knows what happened. The child was alleged to be Desi Arnaz Jr's, who she was having an affair with, but she insists she was also having an affair with then-married John Astin, and that he is Sean's biological father.
Old 11-05-2004, 05:02 PM
Charter Member

After reading Goldman's book on John Lennon, it seems to me that the Beatles must have fathered hundreds of children.

And what's with all this FORD stuff? It's "Ford."
Old 11-05-2004, 05:50 PM
BANNED

Well, the King of Belgium has a daughter with - if I recall well - a French woman.
She was "discovered" by the press shortly after he became king and a bit "hunted" by tabloids because she happened to live in the UK at the time (In Belgium you don't have such a "tabloid culture". Maybe there are few, but as far as I can tell there is not a large audience for this sort of "media").

So Belgium "discovered" a hidden child of the king, the "normal" press wrote a few articles about it and the public's comments were along the lines of: " He is human, no? His marriage did not go well at the time, so what. This is between him and the queen and the mother of the child and the daughter herself".
And that was it.
She seems to be in her twenties or something and is an artist (painter). She recently seems to have done a few expositions of her works in Belgium.

Salaam. A
Old 11-05-2004, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acsenray
And what's with all this FORD stuff? It's "Ford."
Or as my grandfather calls it, "Ford Motor Company".
Old 11-05-2004, 08:59 PM

Or as I call it, festering den of racist a-holes who don't build very good cars.
Old 11-05-2004, 09:00 PM

That deserves an explanation, doesn't it?

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/playof...ge=Curse041005
Old 11-06-2004, 05:17 AM

Epic French pres. François Mitterand had a "hidden" daughter, Mazarine.

There was a lot of discussion about why this was anyone's business, why the media were giving him a free pass (on this and a bunch of other stuff), and how Mazarine could be a secret when everybody knew about her.

I believe about a third of current US births are out of wedlock, and presumably some part of the other two thirds have mystery fathers, but since they're not celebrities...
Old 11-06-2004, 05:59 AM

Since we're apparently allowed to include historical famous people...

Dr Maria Montessori, who founded the educational philosophy of the same name, had a son, Mario, as the result of a love affair. She basically had to foster him out when he was growing up, but always kept contact, and once he was an adult they would often travel together. She consistently introduced him as "my nephew". She was an only child who never married, but apparently people found it easier to call Mario her 'nephew' than to make a fuss about the matter Her will, however, made it very clear - she left her personal belongings to "my son, Mario".

Mario continued his mother's work after her death, and some of his descendants are still active in the Montessori movement today.
Old 11-06-2004, 09:06 AM
Charter Member

Mary Beth Whitehead, surrogate/biological mother in the famous Baby M case, stated her husband could be the genetic father of the child (despite his vasectomy), and then argued that he was her legal father because they were married when she was conceived.

Of course, Mary Beth Masser and Richard Whitehead were NOT married when she conceived her first child Ryan, and they WERE married when she conceived her fourth child Austin, whose genetic father was Dean Gould. The woman obviously thinks that the father is whoever she says it is, genetics, marriage and legalities be damned.
Old 11-06-2004, 09:34 AM

Does anybody have any info on Bill Clinton's love child? There was a brief mention of a payoff to a black woamn in Arkansas..but nothing (that I could discover) beyond this. Anyone know?
Old 11-06-2004, 10:15 AM

Pretty-boy actor Harry Hamlin (L.A. Law) visited Greece in the early eighties to make the movie Clash Of The Titans, a kind of latter-day sword-and-sandal flick with better special effects.

On the sunny shores of Greece, he did, yea, develop a hot and heavy thing with former Bond girl and general megababe Ursula Andress, who played some betogaed goddess or Greek, I forget who.

They did beget a child, who, last I heard, was living with Mom.
Old 11-06-2004, 12:24 PM

Harry Hamlin and Ursula Andress' son is named Dmitri.

Going back a few centuries, Talleyrand fathered an illegitimate son with the Countess of Flahaut. This son, Charles, in turn had an affair with Napoleon's stepdaughter Hortense, that resulted in a son, the Duc de Morny. In addition, Talleyrand was very possibly the biological father of the famous artist Eugene Delacroix.

William Shakespeare stood as godfather to future Poet Laureate William D'Avenant in 1606, who in later years would claim Shakespeare was his father in more than just God. Of course, Shakespeare's eldest daughter, Susanna, was born in wedlock, but only by a couple of months.
Old 11-06-2004, 02:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippienne
Of course, Shakespeare's eldest daughter, Susanna, was born in wedlock, but only by a couple of months.
At that time, many considered that to mean she was legitimate.

Baseball pitcher Tug McGraw had an illegitimate son, Tim McGraw, who evidently is doing quite well for himself.
Old 11-06-2004, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJsGirl
Or as I call it, festering den of racist a-holes who don't build very good cars.
I was expecting an article that talked about something other than Ford Motor Company before 1920. FWIW, I don't think much of their cars, either, but I don't know if it's fair to assume it's the same place 80+ years later.
Old 11-06-2004, 07:17 PM
Charter Member

ralph124c writes:

> Does anybody have any info on Bill Clinton's love child? There was a brief
> mention of a payoff to a black woamn in Arkansas..but nothing (that I could
> discover) beyond this. Anyone know?

There was such a claim during Clinton's presidency, but the child got a DNA test, and it wasn't Clinton's child. Nobody would normally have even bothered to test the claim, since there wasn't even any circumstantial evidence connecting the woman and Clinton. However, Clinton's DNA was already known publicly because of testing on the stain on Monica Lewinsky's dress, so someone was able to do the DNA testing without having to ask Clinton for a DNA sample.

> And, there are persisyent rumors that both John F. Kennedy and Bill Clinton
> have fathered children out of wedlock- what did they do to hush things up?

Do you get all your news from right-wing-nut websites? It's well-known that Kennedy was very promiscuous and Clinton was at least somewhat so, but no one has ever made any significant claim of illegitimate children. And if it had been true, don't you think that the press would have been all over such a claim? The right-wing press loves that sort of stuff. Incidentally, why does it make any difference that it was a black woman? Are you claiming that miscegenation is worse than adultery?
Old 11-06-2004, 07:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asteroide
Epic French pres. François Mitterand had a "hidden" daughter, Mazarine.

There was a lot of discussion about why this was anyone's business, why the media were giving him a free pass (on this and a bunch of other stuff), and how Mazarine could be a secret when everybody knew about her.

Everybody knew...except the public. .

Actually, not only he had a teenage daughter, but he was living with his mistress, not with his wife (and this also wasn't known by the public). It was eventually disclosed by a people magazine, a short time before his death, and it's generally believed that the president allowed this magazine to disclose the information so that he could publically aknowledge his daughter before his death.

Both set of spouse/children attended the funerals, and the french public opinion found this very moving.

The medias didn't really gave him a free pass. It's considered bad form in France for the medias to disclose informations about the private life of politicians, and it's not done. Anyway, the public, as I wrote, wasn't shocked by the situation, though it made the headlines once it was known.
Old 11-06-2004, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJsGirl
You're still blaming Ford for something that happened 80 years ago?

You've got issues, kid.
Old 11-06-2004, 08:54 PM

Quote:
There was such a claim during Clinton's presidency, but the child got a DNA test, and it wasn't Clinton's child.
Back when this story came out, one website posted a picture of the kid (then about 6 or 8) and a picture of Clinton at the same age. There was a striking similarity. The mother claimed that she'd had an affair with Clinton, and given ol' Bill's reputation as a world-class hornball, it wasn't unreasonable to suspect that the boy might be his. But as you say, DNA test proved that the kid isn't Clinton's.
Old 11-06-2004, 09:13 PM

From this page:

Quote:
From 1957 until his death in 1974, [aviator Charles] Lindbergh had an affair with a woman 24 years his junior, the German hat maker Brigitte Hesshaimer. They had three children together: Dyrk (born 1958), Astrid, and David (born 1967). The two managed to keep the affair completely secret; even the children did not know the true identity of their father, whom they met sporadically when he came to visit. Astrid later read a magazine article about Lindbergh and found snapshots and more than a hundred letters written from him to her mother. She disclosed the affair in 2003, two years after Brigitte Hesshaimer had died.
Old 11-07-2004, 02:29 AM

Don't forget Senator Dan "Clinton is a slimeball" Burton, who conveniently avoided visiting his own bastard son for over a decade...
Electric Escape -- Information superhighway rest area #10,186
Old 11-07-2004, 08:49 AM

A rather entertaining example of this (at least in the UK) was Paula Yates (aka "Lady Geldof" in the States) who believed until shortly before her death at the age of 40 that her father was the nationally-reviled religious TV presenter Jess Yates.

Upon his death she learnt her actual father was the even-more-reviled TV presenter Hughie Green, and this discovery seems to have played a part in her subsequent suicide/accidental drugs death (take your pick).

What was her mother thinking?
Old 11-07-2004, 10:00 AM
Charter Member

My favorite one of all is the famous pop singer Norah Jones, love child of the great Ravi Shankar. Is musical talent genetic or what? Why don't they look for and find the musical gene? (No Gene Simmons jokes, please.)
Old 11-07-2004, 12:48 PM

Crown princess Mette-Marit of Norway has a son from an earlier relationship, before she met and married the crown prince. The boy lives with his mother, stepfather and half-sister (who's heir to the throne) (family photo). He also has contact with his father. There was some noise in the press in the beginning, but these days it's a non-issue.
Old 11-07-2004, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diceman
You're still blaming Ford for something that happened 80 years ago?
Not blaming them, but certainly not patronizing them, anymore than I would patronize Krup.

It makes no sense to me to reward bad behavior. So I'm blaming the son (or grandson) for the sins of the father. I'm OK with that right now.
Old 11-07-2004, 08:32 PM

I watched a bio on A&E about Andre the Giant and apparently he had a brief affair with a woman who lived in Seattle who gave birth to a daughter. I cannot remember exactly but I think although he wanted to be in the girls life, the mother wouldnt allow it or something like that. I believe the program said the daughter would in her 20's now.
Old 11-08-2004, 03:08 AM
Charter Member

EJsGirl writes:

> So I'm blaming the son (or grandson) for the sins of the father.

It's at least the great-grandson at this point. Henry Ford II, the grandson of Henry Ford I, died quite a while ago, and he was the last heir who actually controlled the Ford Motor Company. Only the great-grandchildren and great-great-grandchildren (and maybe even further down the line) are even part-owners of the company. And, furthermore, they don't remotely control the company. They each own a little piece of the company, but so do a lot of other people.

This is as ridiculous as people who think that by boycotting Heinz products that they somehow affect John Kerry. Kerry doesn't own any of the stock because of a pre-nuptial agreement. Teresa Kerry owns a piece of something called the Heinz Family Trust. The Heinz Family Trust owns 4% of the Heinz company. Kerry is way, way removed from any control of the Heinz company. Similarly, any Ford heir is way, way removed from any control of the Ford Motor Company.
Old 11-08-2004, 08:42 AM
Charter Member

Mike Love of the Beach Boys had a one night stand that resulted in Shawna Love, whom cousin Dennis, who hated Mike, impregnated and later married [cue banjo music here/

I remember that when Charles Kuralt died, it was discovered he spent some of his time "on the road" with family #2. There was a huge battle over his estate.
Old 06-24-2012, 02:20 PM

I found this thread doing a search for info on Desi Arnaz.

I will add that when, above mentioned, Patty Duke first claimed that Sean's father was Desi Arnaz, Jr., whom she briefly dated, it was a BIG flare up, in its day. He was very young and just beginning to be groomed to be a teen star.
Old 06-24-2012, 02:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by plnnr View Post
Grover Cleveland never formally acknowledged that the child was his, but did provide for it.

It's actually questionable as to whether the child was Cleveland's. The woman who had the baby was involved with several other men at the same time, including Cleveland's law partner. Apparently, Cleveland agreed to take responsibility because he was the only one of the bunch who was unmarried, and it would do less damage to his reputation.
Old 06-24-2012, 03:13 PM
Charter Member

Tony Curtis was the biological father of the kids who played Adam Stevens on "Bewitched."
Old 06-25-2012, 09:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Lou View Post
I found this thread doing a search for info on Desi Arnaz.

I will add that when, above mentioned, Patty Duke first claimed that Sean's father was Desi Arnaz, Jr., whom she briefly dated, it was a BIG flare up, in its day. He was very young and just beginning to be groomed to be a teen star.

Arnaz was 17, Duke was 24 and divorced. Sean had the DNA test in hopes of claiming some of Lucille Ball's multi-million dollar estate.

As I stated in 2004, Duke suffered from maniac-depression for years before being diagnosed and treated. Her book Call Me Anna is a fascinating read, but she still insists John Astin is Sean's biological father.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:52 AM
Charter Member

Lynn Redgrave's single assistant had a son Zachary and refused to name the father. Redgrave and her husband John Clark's eldest child Benjamin later married the woman and adopted the child.

It came out over a Thanksgiving dinner that Zachary's biological father actually was John Clark, meaning Benjamin adopted his own half-brother. And you thought your family holiday dinners were bad.