Bee sting therapy

A friend of mine has Multiple Sclerosis (MS). In a recent discussion she mentioned that she had heard that bee sting therapy could help relieve her MS symptoms but was wary of trying it. She asked if I knew anything about it and I had to admit that I didn’t.

I’ve googled on the subject and found a lot of sites that appear to fall firmly within the crackpot category (including claims that having yourself stung by bees wil cure everything from depression to arthritis) but precious little factual or scientific information.

I’m interested both for my friend and her MS but also for myself - I’m bipolar and was intrigued by the claims that it could help with depression (I know it’s wishful thinking but I’d dearly love to find something that would let me get off having to take lithium for the rest of my life).

Does anybody have the straight dope? Anybody know people that have successfully used it?

Damn, I meant to post this in GQ not Cafe Society. Is there any Mod out there who would be so kind as to move it for me, please? Thanks.

You know, I wait a long time in between bee questions…
Anyway, I used to keep bees, and for a while I subscribed to apiary magazines, and this was a topic that would come up quite often. In fact, it is one of the big three. The other two are about the mystic healing powers of bee-collected pollen, and the rejuvenating and healing powers of royal jelly.

The short answer is that if you read up on bees, buy a hive and equipment, keep the bees, raise honey, etc. the satisfaction all this gives you might make you feel better than if you weren’t doing anything constructive. In other words, keeping bees is a fun and enjoyable pastime that might add to your general quality of life, but beyond that is wishful thinking.

This concurs with my own experience. I learned beekeeping from a nice old man in Shippensburg, PA who was slowing down and getting out of it because… you guessed it, his arthritis was getting to be too much for him. This guy had hundreds of hives and being a tough and cantankerous country sort he shunned protective gear. He’d just open up the hive, and do what he wanted to do. Suffice it to say that he was getting stung multiple times a day, and it didn’t help his arthritis.

At all.

Now do be aware that getting stung by a bee is an acute and painful experience. It will temporarily cure the symptoms of depression, MS, or just about anything else that ails you.

The way this works is known as the “hammer principle.”
The hammer principle states that if you walk up to a depressed person and smash their toe smartly with a hammer, they will be miraculously cured of depression for the time period that they are screaming in pain and hopping up and down in agony. In some cases the cure may lost long enough for the formerly depressed person to chase you down and beat you unconscious. Alas though, once this temporary effect wears off what you have is a depressed person with a stubbed toe.

The cure works for MS, arthritis, headaches, general malaise, achiness, and even the common cold!

Unfortunately the acute pain phase of a bee sting lasts about a minute and once it’s over you are left with MS, arthritis, a headache, general malaise, achiness, or the cold that you had before you were stung. Now you also have a small puncture that will turn into a little interesting black hole that will stay inflamed for a day, and itch for a week.

This about says it for the demonstrated curative effects of a bee sting.
On a serious note of caution is the nature of bee sting allergies. If you have been stung before and are not allergic, that does not mean you will not have a fatal allergic reaction the next time you are stung. Bee sting allergies can be acquired. A beekeeper who is getting stung from time to time is mindful of the symptoms of an acquired allergy. Having a large number of past recent bee stings to compare to you have a pretty good idea of how you react. Any change from this is a very bad sign.

Chances are, since you are not a beekeeper you do not have a lot of recent experience with bee stings and do not know exactly what your tolerance and average reaction is. In fact, you are looking for a change, a reaction. You may have issues if you are depressed, have MS, or an other ailment that may mask an allergic reaction, or you may fail to recognize it, or this reaction may be interpreted by you as a sign that the therapy is working. The nature of these allergies is that the window (in terms of number of stings,) if any, between a normal reaction and a severe and potentially fatal allergic reaction, is tiny.

So, for example, you may have arthritis. You get stung in the hand as deliberate bee sting therapy. You get a mild allergic reaction in your arm. This reaction has a side effect of temporarily ameliorating the severity of the arthritis pain in that limb.

“A-ha!” you say. “It’s working!” the next day you get stung again. The way these things work is you now have a much more severe reaction and you may go to the hospital, you may die, or you may have to carry an injector with yo the rest of your life.

Even long-term beekeepers may develop an allergy after twenty years. There’s really no telling, though the conventional wisdom suggests that if you have other ailments or allergies that can compromise your system you may be more vulnerable.

My best advice is don’t get stung deliberately.

If you must try it be sure an familiarize yourself with the signs of an allergic reaction and if you begin to show them, get to a hospital, even if it doesn’t seem to be severe. It often doesn’t at first, but once your throat closes up you have problems.

Scylla

Thanks for an extraordinarily illuminating response. It always amazes me the way this board produces such unexpected results

A few follow-up questions (and a chance for you to show off your beekeeping knowledge some more):

Did you ever notice this effect yourself while working with bees?

I was interested in your description of the ‘hammer principle’. I think I understand the concept and presume it is similar to some other stuff I read recently about why we (for instance) rub our elbow when we bang it against a brick wall - the nerve signals override each other. However when I googled the term ‘Hammer Principle’ so I could read up on it a bit more, I couldn’t find anything about it. Is it a term of your own coining, is it a bit of ancient apiarist wisdom or is there somewhere I might find out a bit more about it?

And a further question just to satisfy my beekeeping curiousity: I remember watching an Italian(?) movie a few years back that centred on the life of an itinerant apiarist. Most of the year the beekeeper kept his charges at home but for a period of each year, when blossom was less available (winter?), he packed them up on a truck and took them travelling around the countryside. Does this sort of thing happen still?

Not so much the board. Me. I’m just that damn good.

Yes. Often I’d be pissed off about something, or suffering in the heat as I was working with the bees. Suddenly I would get stung, and all these problems would seem far away, as I danced around yelling “OWW! Crap! Shit!”

You see bee stings are like Doritos. You never can get stung just once. The first sting you get sends out pheremones telling the rest of the bees to attack.

It’s a term of my own coining though the principle is well-understood. A chronic pain can be temporarily obviated by an acute pain. The principle is pretty obvious, and in use for centuries. You know, cold showers, leeches, oedipus putting his eyes out to relieve his psychic pain.

As you long as you don’t mind the cure being worse than the ailment, it’s a great system.

Yes, it does. In fact, it’s a big problem. Typically in the US these hives come from Georgia or the deep South. Small hives are kept in a post swarm state (under pressure to increase the hive’s population.) This makes them maniacs for pollen. These hives are then loaded up in trucks with rags stuffed in the entrance and they are touted all across the country to pollinate crops and particularly fruit trees.

Unfortunately, these hives are not particularly well-tended. Bees have a variety of parasites and diseases. Bees are more socially promiscuous and better vectors of disease than even a Hilton sister!

Travelling hives have basically destroyed the entire wild honeybee population of the Unites States, due to the spread of foulbrood, and tracheal mites. Most anytime you see a honeybee, it almost surely comes from a recent swarm off a domestic hive, or a domestic hive itself. Tracheal mites and foulbrood prevent wild hives from surviving more than a year or two.

Scylla

Thanks again.

One more question: I once worked on a fruit farm and I recall getting stung quite aggressively by a couple of bees one day in the orchard. The boss, who kept hives there for pollination purposes, said that the bees were more aggressive because they were feeding on gum tree blossom at that time of year.

His theory was that the different types of pollen that the bees had available to them affected their moods. Some pollen made them more aggressive while other pollen made them more passive.

Did you ever notice this type of effect?

No I have not noticed any such thing. In fact, I doubt it very much. Bees in gathering mode are pretty easygoing and won’t sting you unless you provoke them or you are intruding on their hive.

You can get an awful lot of them pollinating a single tree in which case it’s easy to accidently squish one or two, or piss them off. As I mentioned, if you piss one off, it releases pheremones that pisses everybody off and you get a chain reaction indistinguishable from a soccer match.

Good? Yes. Damn good? Not yet, grasshopper, for I have caught you in either a factual error or a trademark violation - your pick. You say:

Indeed, sir, the trademarked slogan to which you refer ,“You can’t eat just one”, belongs to Frito-Lay for exclusive use with their Lay’s[sup]TM[/sup] brand of potato chips - not Doritos[sup]TM[/sup] brand artificially flavored, fake nacho style tortilla chips.

I am somewhat peeved that you have managed to create in me a mental association of bee stings = good Lay’s[sup]TM[/sup] potato chips. If ever, due to the occasional neuron misfire that tends to plague my brain, that association becomes bee sting = good lay, then shall I be forced to call you “dastardly”.

Hmm. You’re right. Here:

http://www.doritos.com/index_main.cfm
It says the motto for Doritos is “Bite Sized Fun.”
Then, underneath a picture of a Dorito it says “Doritos are not bite-sized.”

I suppose that calls for some kind of sarcastic and humorous comment, but the fact of the matter is that that just makes me inexplicably sad.
Ok. Bee stings are like Pringles potato chips. They are reconstituted, deep-fried potato goo stacked in a can.

Sarcastic comment on the way.

If A is B, and C not A, then C not B.

Therefore, Doritos are not fun.

The theory as I understand it in to cause inflamation to an old injury, which re-starts the healing process, and should repair the old injury more then it was before. I’m not sure how it works with MS, but it is known as prolo-therapy with other injuries.

There was documentary on TV about a couple that opened up a shop in which they would offer bee sting therapy to those with MS. The owner of the shop herself claims to have been cured. Her MS was documented and conventional treatment hadn’t worked. I can’t remember for sure, but I think she got accidentily stung and noticed the improvement in her nervous functions. She then followed up with intentional stings and kept improving untill her MS appeared to be in remission. They then opened up shop for the benefit of others.
The details are sketchy 'cause the show was on a while back.

But doesn’t MS go into remission itself, depending on the type and severity of the disease? Seems to me it’s more logical that this was a happy coincidence for the shopkeeper, not a new cure.

You’re probably right, but that wouldn’t sell bee-stings now would it? :wink:

And with me as a sales-critter, you’d think I would have caught that right away. Oh well, I’ve only been doing this since April.