Do "wooly worms" really predict a cold winter?

I’m not sure if they have a more official name, but I trust you all know what I’m talking about. Those worms with the hair on them. I’ve always been told that you can tell how cold the winter is going to be based on how furry they are. Is this just an old wives tale, or is there some truth to it? And if there is any truth to it, how do the worms know?

We always called them “wooly bears,” and we were told that the caterpillar’s weather-predicting abilities lay in interpreting the amount of brown vs the amount of black in its stripes.

According to the National Weather Service:

The answer is, apparently, no.

Only if they’re working at The Farmer’s Almanac :smiley:

The caterpillars you see are the offspring of the ones that survived last winter. So, really, they’re “predicting” the previous winter, not the coming one.

Predicting the past is not a useful talent.

Here in NE Ohio, we actually have a Wooly Bear Festival every fall, complete with marching bands and animals dressed like wooly bears. It’s holsted by the world’s oldest weatherman (I think he used to predict the flooding of the Nile for the Pharaohs).

Regarding the “wooly bear” vs. “wooly worm” thing, my mom, from whom I think I learned the term “wooly worm”, thinks that its a regional expression, probably localized to the south-eastern U.S. I don’t know whether “wooly bear” is used everywhere else or not.

For there to be a remote chance of this sort of thing working, there would have to be conditions, months ahead of the winter in question, that both affect the critter’s appearance and relate to several months worth of upcoming weather. Now, I’m not saying humans are smarter than God, but we’re pretty good at figuring out, explaining, and predicting lot of natural and physical stuff. And still, our ability to accurately predict the weather more than three days ahead is marginal, largely because there are so many factors involved and many of those factors are so changeable. The notion that there’s a predictable pattern in there that we’ve missed in spite of all of our study is really not believable.

Don’t diss the Goddard. He has more meteorological knowledge in his big toe than Willard Scott had in his entire bloated body, even if the wooly bear thing is an old wives’ tale.