How do they pick the location for the Super Bowl?

I know this has a factual question, but since it is about entertainment, i put it here…

How do they decide where the Super Bowl will be each year? Has there ever been a SB where they played at the stadium of one of the participents?

I believe that the SuperBowl sites are selected by some NFL committee. Any location has to satisfy all kinds of requirements like stadium seats, lodging, places to party, etc. Cities go through elaborate presentations to “earn” the honor.

As to a team playing “at home” for the SuperBowl, I only know of one: SuperBowl XIX, 1985, SF vs. Miami. The 49ers beat a Marino-led team at Stanford, CA. 49er headquarters and practice facilities are just down the road from the stadium. It was essentially a home game.

The Pittsburgh Steelers beat the LA Rams in Super Bowl XIV. That game was played in the Rose Bowl in Pasedena, Calif. That is not the Rams’ home field but it was close.

The NFL Committee that picks Super Bowl locations often plays politics, and uses its powers to coerce cities into building new stadiums for their local teams.

If, for instance, the Patriots were trying to get the city of Providence or Boston to build them a brand-new domed stadium for free, the NFL would let the city fathers of Providence/Boston know that they’d be awarded a Super Bowl a few years down the road if they said “yes.”

That’s how we got Super Bowls in Pontiac, Michigan and in Minneapolis.

I believe a locall free from bad weather, either a mild climate city, or domed stadium is essential in the selection too.

I have to admit the NFL is mixing up the sites for the next few Super Bowls. This year is in Jacksonville (first one), then Ford Field in Detroit (second time for Detroit) then Miami and finally Phoenix.

I like to see some variety in Super Bowl sites. There have been too many Super Bowls in Miami and New Orleans. There have been 8 games in Miami and 9 in New Orleans.

It’s not only the stadium that matters. You also have to have a site that is suitable for the week-long orgy of parties leading up to the Super Bowl. See Miami and New Orleans above. :smiley:

The Vikings have a new stadium? News to me - I’ve been to most of our home games in the Metrodome, brand spanking new as of 1982. Yes, the 'Dome hosted a Superbowl back in the '90s (1992? 1993? I don’t remember), but it’s by no means new.

Not for lack of trying, however.

The location is determined by a complicated formula the principal component of which is the number of strip clubs located in the candidate city.

Detroit in late January. Sounds like fun! :dubious:

Ford Field is domed.