"In the butt, Bob" - TRUE

I just saw the clip in question on Comedy Central. What she actually says is “Probably in the ass” and it was a couple that looked sort of arabic.

This has already been extensively discussed in Great Debates: http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?threadid=25894

To summarize: It does appear that the woman said this. However, it does not correspond to the urban legend version. So snopes calls it “sort of” true.

Not to be harsh, David B, but your summary is pretty biased, and biased around a personal argument that you had on the subject. Some people, myself included, feel it does “correspond to the urban legend”. The fact that a few details were different does not make it different.

My parents were contestants on Newlywed Game. Another recently wed couple had tried out for the show and coached my parents on what the test questions would be during the audition, which was set up like the show itself.

When the Bob Eubanks clone asked my mother if she had any pet names for her husband, she responded “Truman”. Suprise! Dad got it right, too. Naturally, the emcee-talent-spotter asked the origin of the pet name, to which Mom casually responded, “oh, you know, like Harry ‘Ass’ Truman.” They got the nod. No doubt the “in the ass” people had a similarly spectacular audition.

Regrettably, the show didn’t go over as well as my folks hoped. When introducing the couples my father discovered for the first time that my mother had reserved a wedding date at her favorite church six months before they met. Dad didn’t help anything when answering the following question:

Bob: “If your Mother-In-Law could dive into a pool full of anything she wanted, what would it be?”

Dad: “Food.”

Yes, my parents are divorced. No, my Grandmother never forgave my father. Mom still uses the Hoover vacuum cleaner they won as a consolation prize for coming in second place. Part of their winnings were used to fund a vacation to Hawaii, where I was conceived. Occasionally, this disturbs me.

Sofa King–this may be a pointless anecdote but it’s funny as hell!! :smiley:

yes, this one is true.
i find snopes not too accurate lately.
anyway, the girl said “in the ass” rather than “up the butt”, but it’s all the same thing.

the woman mistook a sexual location for a sexual orafice.
davidb is kind of insane about this issue… but she did say “in the ass”.

damn, i really need to watch game show network more often :smiley:

I’m with David B. on this one. I have no trouble believing the foreign woman misunderstood the question, and said what the OP is claiming, but it just isn’t the same as the UL. Many people claim to have seen it, and all the claims I have seen previous to the unearthing of the tape have alleged that it was a man who said. Generally, a laconic white man. It’s just another urban legend about rednecks and their weird sexual practices.

My theory is, a very small number of the claimants actually saw the episode. An even smaller number misremembered it the same way and then went on a (intentional or unintentional) legend-spreading spree. They told it in such detail that other people believed they too had seen it, after the haze of memory set it. Sure, I can’t prove it, but it would take an awfully large dose of Jungian analysis to explain why everybody thinks it’s a man that said it.

Y’know, Boris, this is the first time I’ve ever heard reference to a version of the story where it was a man who said it. For that matter, most of the UL versions that mention race at all say that the couple was black. As I understand it, the UL is that a contestant on the Newlywed Game misunderstood a question about the “weirdest place you’ve ever made whoopie”, and answered with a reference to anal sex. To this extent, it’s true. There are also versions of the legend which add details, which may or may not be true, but those details do not change the basic premise of the story.

Thanks, Boris B, the fact that you’ve heard it as a redneck legend, Snopes claims it’s a black thing, and I’ve never heard racial undertones, only reinforces the core of the UL which was that someone on the Newlywed Game mistook a place for an orifice and gave the anus as their answer.

I wouldn’t call David B insane on the issue, but he’s definitely adamant in his wrong-ness. In his defence, he does have backing in this backwardness from Snopes.

What precisely is the General Question here? Would this topic be better served in GD?

manhattan wrote

Excellent question. May I propose, “Is the butt a place?” “Would you vacation there?” or “Do they have rides for the kiddies?”

It is absolutely true. It was, in fact, an African American woman. The exact quote was “Dat be up da butt Bob.” I saw it. I remember it. It is true.

Sorry, Bill, but it is you who is wrong here, not me. I fully explained my position in the GD thread, and you have said nothing to explain why I am supposedly wrong. I’m not going to go over the same discussion again. If you want to continue to say I’m wrong, then go to the GD thread, quote exactly where I’m wrong, and back up your claims.

Just popping in to, first, welcome Chronolicht to the board (you were being sarchastic, right, licht?), and secondly, to note that despite the similarity of names, there’s no relation between us, that I know of. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the welcome. Y’all are right friendly. Sarcastic? Sure! That and so much more!
If you are a mammalian vertebrate biped with parallax vision and opposing thumbs, then we are definitely related. See you under the big top…

Geez. I’m not sure I would personally catagorize this as a Great Debate, but since our board lacks a forum called “Silly Arguments Over Reruns of Bad Television,” I’ll send the thread over to the tender mercies of David B and Gaudere.

How dare you call this a silly argument?! It is one of the greatest debates of all times! Why, it ranks up there with “The Earth is Flat, I read it in the paper…”! :wink:

David B wrote

Oh, yeah? Well I say

What do ya think of that, Buck-o?

Saying I’m wrong is not an argument; saying that you’ve already spoken is not an argument, and certainly neither is proof that you’re right.

Although I do agree that the subject has been argued to death and there’s no new info in sight.

Bill said:

I think you’re still wrong, and you can’t even come up with a good argument.

Saying I’ve already spoken is intended to refer you to the much longer points I’ve already made. You still have not explained why I am wrong there, even when I specifically asked you to quote where I was wrong and back up your claims. Sad.

David B, All right, I don’t know why I’m getting sucked into this, but I’ve gone back and read all of your postings on the last thread.

Basically, you spent very little time arguing about whether this is still an UL. Instead you talked mostly about how Libertarian was wrong in his description of the event. Nearly every one of your points refers to some nit that he made: he referred to shots of the audience, he referred to the couple as black, etc. etc.

See, the thing is I don’t care what Lib’s position is and I’m not interested in debating what his position is. And I’m not interested in debating who is closer to truth between the two of you. This isn’t about you, David B; it’s a debate about whether an event actually occurred.

So, frankly, I find that there was very little from you in that post that directly relates to the following topic: “Is the ‘In the butt, Bob’ story an UL?”

So, I will again refer you to my statement above, and ask you what your argument is against it. Saying “read my argument with Lib” is not an argument.